uzzmet

Called by ICE just after I filed my I130 and I485 forms.

91 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got a phone call from ICE on Jan 17th. I filed my I130 and I485 on a week before and got my e-mail notification on Jan 16th and checks cashed at the same day.

A special agent at the phone told me he needs to see my marriage certificate, passport, last I20 which expired 4 months ago and my wife's biographic information. He also said he will ask a few questions like when we met etc. He said it will speed up the process and if I don't attend this appt, my application won't be accepted.

Now I'm confused. I searched online and never found another example similar to mine. Is it okay that people get phone calls like this or should I hire a lawyer. My appointment is tomorrow at Newark ICE.

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Big difference between ICE and USCIS...the address you gave appears to be ICE. Who has little to do with your pending I-130 and 485. They're in the business of Enforcement (ie removal). And you don't have time to find a lawyer unless you can postpone your appointment. Yes it's time to get a lawyer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Did you fall out of status with your F1?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I'm sorry for posting in wrong section.

Yes my I20 expired in September and I got married a few days before it expired.

If it helps he asked about my last school and my last I20 on the phone. I'm not the only one who files his/her application while overstayed huh? Do you think it's just because they wanted to see original documents?

Timeline

Uzz, you need to explain in detail how your conversation went with the ICE agent. Again, he didn't call you about your I130 or I485. The ICE is the entity that deports you, not immigrate you.

now don't freak out. I'm not saying they will deport you. And yes, many file AOS after their visas expired.

Edited by SteveAndTiff

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Uzz, you need to explain in detail how your conversation went with the ICE agent. Again, he didn't call you about your I130 or I485. The ICE is the entity that deports you, not immigrate you.

exactly, this is why I asked if it was ICE or USCIS.

First I got a voice mail on phone someone who says he is special agent ..(name).., his phone number to call him back.

I called him and he was so kind on the phone. First he asked if I'm still attending school or I'm already graduated. He asked if I'm still living at the same address. And he said he needs to see me.

I asked him what should I bring with me. He said marriage certificate, passport, last I20 and my USC wife's biographic information. I asked him to explain what it would be, like a birth certificate. He said yes. He also said he has some questions about my marriage like when I met my wife.

Then he said it's going to speed up my application process or it be denied if I don't see him. He didn't give me an exact date for appointment and asked me when I'm available. We set the date as Tuesday. I asked him if there is something worry about it and if it's better if my wife also come with me. He said it's not necessary, there is nothing to worry.

That's all conversation between us. Of course I'll go to see him.

Bring an immigration lawyer.

Edited by hmh33

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

Timeline

I think your best course of action is to call tomorrow morning, postpone your appointment, then find an attorney, and be guided from there...To me, this appointment is not about you adjusting status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I think your best course of action is to call tomorrow morning, postpone your appointment, then find an attorney, and be guided from there...To me, this appointment is not about you adjusting status.

It is about overstaying the F1 most definitely. :thumbs:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.