tinman

Anyone consider a pre-nuptual?

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually that wasn't a part of our vows at all, how presumptuous.

You are not reading very good Nola This morning. Read my Full Post.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

We signed a prenup. I think it's the smartest thing to do. I don't get why there's so much flack around it. If you don't want one, fine, but don't judge me and my relationship because we decided to sign one. I hate when people say "well I signed up for life" Yeah? Well so did everyone else in the 50% who got a divorce.

Anyways, we signed one and we're happy with it.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You are not reading very good Nola This morning. Read my Full Post.

I did read it and I thought it was inappropriate.

Also, if perhaps you think people are misunderstanding you, it might be beneficial to work on how your posts are coming across, i.e. work on your grammar and sentence construction.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

We got one.. and I can say it better to have one.. Just both party need to talk about why you guys need it and ofc understand it. I suggested to have one even my hubby said he dont need it coz he trust me still for me its not fair ( if ever divorce happened and i effing hope not hhaa) to get something he work hard for a long tym and ended up sharing it with me just coz he marry me.. :P

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
K1 TIMELINE
02-10-2012 - NOA1 (hard copy)
08-22-2012 - NOA2
08-26-2012 - NOA2 (hard copy)
09-06-2012 - Medical (first day)
09-07-2012 - Medical (second day) -
passed!
10-04-2012 - Interview Day - approved!
10-10-2012 - Visa received (3 working days)
10-11-2012 - CFO Seminar (got certificate and sticker one day)

AOS TIMELINE

01-04-2013 - got my SS Card

01-18-2013 - Filing Date

02-14-2013 - Bio Appointment

08-29-2013 - AOS Approved (no interview)

ROC TIMELINE

06-15-2015 - Filing Date

07-23-2015 - Bio Appointment

04-04-2016 - ROC Approved (no interview)

N400 TIMELINE

08-27-2016 - Filing Date

10-03-2016 - Bio Appointment

12-20-2016 - N400 Interview (approved)

12-28-2016 - Oath Taking

Timeline

I did read it and I thought it was inappropriate.

Also, if perhaps you think people are misunderstanding you, it might be beneficial to work on how your posts are coming across, i.e. work on your grammar and sentence construction.

In all reality, at least my own. Someone asking about if its a good or bad idea to ask or request a pre-nup on-line in a forum is obscure. Thats for Attorneys.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

It depends on the state you are in and what you are trying to protect. If your prenup is to protect your assets you bring into the marriage, your state laws likely already protect that without a prenup. You would just need some sort of declaration of assets. In those states, a prenup only protects what is gained during the marriage. The biggest fights during a divorce are over children and child support, and if that is not part of your prenup...what is the point? The best use of a prenup is when one partner has a business in their name (or plans to) that needs to be protected from divorce, or large assets that are not protected by state laws.

Edited by Rob & Monika

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

In all reality, at least my own. Someone asking about if its a good or bad idea to ask or request a pre-nup on-line in a forum is obscure. Thats for Attorneys.

Now I'll make fun of myself for the sakeness of humanity here.

http://youtu.be/UyY-6oh0Ow8

The decision is up to them. But, I think its mostly the Petitioner that insists on it. But, thats up to them.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

More than anything, I would like to know how anyone else has handled their inheritance to their kids or whom ever in the event of their possible death.

As protection for my daughter if anything happened to me, I had her custody in my will completely separate from the finances she would inherit. My mum was to get custody and then her finances would be handled by my sister. I set it up like because I had heard stories of the people with custody of orphans buying themselves new vehicles (they needed it to transport the child, wink, wink), paying themselves a salary to look after the child and such and the child having nothing to inherit when they were older. Also, if my ex chose to fight for custody or anyone else, they would not have any control of her money.

She is listed as separately inheriting on my Life Insurance. Half goes to her, half goes to hubby.

Make your paperwork absolutely clear that your child(ren) are to inherit whatever and that their money is to be handled by a responsible adult who you know isn’t going to screw them over.

As for the pre-nup issue, I personally don’t like them. I think that they can put the other party in a bad frame of mind. I wanted to go into this relationship knowing that we are in it together and we are going to work on everything as a couple. If for example I had no entitlement to the house as per a pre-nup I would be less inclined to put my effort (and funds) towards making it the most awesome home it could be. But that’s just my personal feelings towards them, I am going to be giving up my country, my career, my family (for the most part) and if something were to happen in my relationship I’d like to think I wouldn’t end up poor and treated like garbage because I’ve made these sacrifices for my relationship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Depending on your age and your level of assests a pre-nuptial agreement is not only smart it is necessary.

There are several elements to this. 1st--A pre-nuptial needs to be coodinated with your Will. If you are a little older you may have children from a previous marriage or other loved ones that you wish to leave something to after you pass. From this prospective both a will and pre-nuptial are necessary. In the state of Pennsylvania you cannot make a pre-nuptial that eliminates your spouse married, seperated from your estate.

Also, if you have assests any lawyer will absolutly recommend a pre-nuptial. Such an Agreement can be designed to "assure" your wife that no matter what happens she will recieve x and Y and z from your or your estate. It can become a kind of "insurance policy".. It can become a little complicated but it is necessary for someone a little older and someone who possesses assests, property and things.

Timeline

Depending on your age and your level of assests a pre-nuptial agreement is not only smart it is necessary.

There are several elements to this. 1st--A pre-nuptial needs to be coodinated with your Will. If you are a little older you may have children from a previous marriage or other loved ones that you wish to leave something to after you pass. From this prospective both a will and pre-nuptial are necessary. In the state of Pennsylvania you cannot make a pre-nuptial that eliminates your spouse married, seperated from your estate.

Also, if you have assests any lawyer will absolutly recommend a pre-nuptial. Such an Agreement can be designed to "assure" your wife that no matter what happens she will recieve x and Y and z from your or your estate. It can become a kind of "insurance policy".. It can become a little complicated but it is necessary for someone a little older and someone who possesses assests, property and things.

This I agree with. Even with a Pre-nup what is accumulated within the marridge is both properties of the Spouses in case of separation or divorce.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Since this is my second K1 process I have my first that I cancelled to look back on and give details. Along with two divorces prior. My first K1 in 2007 had an pre-nup as I had a much greater asset base, investments and property. Even though most states are now set up to what is your assets at marriage and what are her assets at marriage remain your own in the event of a divorce. No matter how tight a pre nup is she is obligated to something upon divorce from my history and what I learned from a friend that married a Russian. My friend divorced. He had written a one sided pre nup that did not stand up in court. I mean he had it where she got ZERO upon divorce of which her Attorney argued that she was forced to sign it after she arrived. I had my ex sign ours prior to her even going to the interview. I then was going to have the same one ready for her to sign upon arrival. I did have a notation on this that she receives airfare back and $1000 if she chooses not to sign the agreement in the USA. My Attorney stated this would hold up as it is not one side nor with a gun pointed at her head (sorry wrong terms I know) to sign.

As of curent status. NO I am not even considering a pre nup. My reasons are I know my fiancee much better than my ex, I believe she is my life partner and if something does come up then I want her to be able to move on and not feel she is obligated to stay due to lack of money.

I would check your state laws before venturing down the pre nup alley. You may not need one. Keep in mind for example, if you have 100k in assets now and together in the next 5 years your assets increase to 300k. Upon divorce most states would award her half of the 200k that grew over the 5 year marriage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Advice is good on this subject and each to his own or her own. But be very careful. To the OP, your future bride is very pretty. Does that scare you that later when she adapts to the US your Bacon is no good no more. Then, let her go. If you are afraid to look into the MIRROR.. Then let it go. Pre-nup or not, you are locked into a Contract either way.

Negative Vibes.. Always look for the worst and you will find it. Look for the good and it is posible it is there. Life is a chance.

Timeline

Ok "TIM/MAV....ive heard from you twice now. Although ALL comments are welcomed here, YOURS is not in the same realm as to those I addressed the question to. For those who are the ones bringing a foreign fiance or wife here to the States was who I wanted to hear opinions from. Although it was interesting to hear the PERSPECTIVE of the "foreigner" fiance. Not sure why You take such exception to the question, and I don't really care, (although I can easily assume why).

Timeline

.......and by the way "TIM/MAV...it's really low classed to make such comments about the looks of anyones Fiance, and in this case Your multiple references to being so sarcastic. My looks, and My Fiances looks, and our relationship is none of your business.

The forums here are intended to provide access to sincere questions, and answers...not for offensive inuendos such as You have made.

Please refrain from any furthur comments about my question, or just go away.

To all others who this really applied to, I thank You all for your honesty in such a unsoken subject.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well said! Who would drive a new car or buy a house and not protect those assets/property with insurance.

A pre-nup is nothing more than an insurance agreement between a couple that was agreed upon during the happy times, when love was new and fresh and when both parties were thinking with level heads. A pre-nup is like a wet blanket to cool off a pair (or one hothead) of 'hotheads' when/if the once good marriage 'crash and burns.'

When a marriage starts to fail, folks can and do become extremely irrational and very unreasonable, more so when there are significant assets and large amounts of cash to fight over. Just like a pre-nup can assure the one earning a large income or holding the assets does not get 'taken to the cleaners,' it can also assure the other party of continued financial support without fear of being at the mercy of a greedy jerk or having to wait for a couple of months for the courts to get involved.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.