tinman

Anyone consider a pre-nuptual?

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not that I anticipate wanting or needing one, but just wondered if anyone else will admit the thought of getting one.

I am sure nobody here would like to have that thought...however I have met many divorced Asian women over the years who originally came on Fiance Visas, and now divorced many years later, and have learned from several who admitted to me that they recieved the house and car and alimony as I result of getting divorced.

More than anything, I would like to know how anyone else has handled their inheritance to their kids or whom ever in the event of their possible death.

Not something We want to think about, but it is an important issue.

Not that I anticipate wanting or needing one, but just wondered if anyone else will admit the thought of getting one.

I am sure nobody here would like to have that thought...however I have met many divorced Asian women over the years who originally came on Fiance Visas, and now divorced many years later, and have learned from several who admitted to me that they recieved the house and car and alimony as I result of getting divorced.

More than anything, I would like to know how anyone else has handled their inheritance to their kids or whom ever in the event of their possible death.

After going through a lengthy and irritating divorce procedure (not mine, my other half's ex), we are considering one to save us both the potential frustration in the future... Although, since the divorce is becoming a distant memory, we have talked of the idea less, so maybe we won't now.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

NO

we did write our own wedding vows and made them something we can commit to for our lifetime.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I know it seems wrong, but yes I was planning on getting a prenup. The reason for this is my parents are divorced and I remember what a struggle it was to divide up everything. Also, I purchased a house a couple of years ago and my mom consigned for me. I think it would be wrong of me not to protect this assert so to speak. No one wants to enter a marriage not in good faith and thinking of divorce, but I think it is important to protect yourself in the event things do not work out. One of the things I believe is that no one will look out for you like yo. You are your own best advocate. This is why I think a prenup is so important.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We didn't end up getting a pre-nup when we married in Denmark, although we were going to do it had we continued on with our K1. We will be getting a post-nuptial agreement in America, mostly because I've already inherited some and will be due to inherit a sizeable amount when my mother passes. I don't want my husband to earn equity in a house I've bought with my inheritance money, so alas we've agreed to do a post nuptial.

It doesn't mean that we think we'll get divorced, it is just that I've seen my mother get divorced twice and get screwed over both times by men financially.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Timeline

While pre-nups are a personal decision each couple has to make for themselves. I personally feel its the responsible thing to do. I dont think it has anything to do with emotions. Its not a statement of- I dont think this is going to last, or Im looking out for myself. Rather its the opposite. Nothing says I dont love you for your money then signing a paper before you marry stating if you divorce you dont get any. I feel it shows you care about the person enough at the beginning that you look towards the future and realize if the worst case scenario plays out and it ends in divorce- you care enough about them now to want the divorce to be easy and painless, not a bitter fight where they are emotionally devastated, but also have to worry about dividing assets. With a pre-nup there is no 'financial agony'over dividing assets in a divorce. You know what youre getting, they know what theyre getting when you separate. Saying I love you and dont want you or I to go through those frustrations after we already lost our marriage which I thought was going to last forever is IMO a :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

however I have met many divorced Asian women over the years who originally came on Fiance Visas, and now divorced many years later,

Go for a FSU woman and you won't have these worries since she'll stay with you for life!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread shifted from K-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- topic not specific to the K-1 process itself. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

WELL..............how nice for You!!!

My post was really intended for someone who has considered the pre-nups..and to get their perspective.

Your post was intended to Cover your Butt and thats a fair question.

I'm going to agree with Gary. NO

You are doing a K-1 Visa Petition which means Marry in less than 90 days upon her arrival. OK.. Well, there must be a reason why you asked such a question.

Your Vows are going to be: To Love and to Cherrish til death do us part... Then, OH sign this paper first written by my Attorney.

The Pre-Nup must be read to her is her native laugauge in order to be enforceable. Otherwise, VOID.

Why throw a Steel Rod into the spokes before you even start.

I feel, your unsure of yourself. If you have these doubts, then you are not ready.

Your past is the past. Let it go... People will tell you stories and some true but never listen to them. You have to decide where you are.

Thats my prespective.

NO

we did write our own wedding vows and made them something we can commit to for our lifetime.

I agree to the NO. My explaination is below.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Timeline

My post was really intended for someone who has considered the pre-nups..and to get their perspective.

Yes. I/we were thinking about it too. One never knows the events of tomorrow, much less five or 10years down the road.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Your Vows are going to be: To Love and to Cherrish til death do us part... Then, OH sign this paper first written by my Attorney.

Actually that wasn't a part of our vows at all, how presumptuous.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

See this new thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410449-wife-left-and-filed-divorce/

Anything could happen in a marriage.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Your post was intended to Cover your Butt and thats a fair question.

Why throw a Steel Rod into the spokes before you even start.

I feel, your unsure of yourself. If you have these doubts, then you are not ready.

Your past is the past. Let it go... People will tell you stories and some true but never listen to them. You have to decide where you are.

Thats my prespective.

While it is your perspective it is not even slightly objective.

1) You can't say what this guy's vows will be so you're wrong right there.

2) That steel rod is, as the OP stated, to protect the family (esp his kids) and what he had before he was married.

3) Even though it is your past you would be a fool not to learn from your mistakes or from the mistake of others. The OP heard it almost from the horses mouth (Asian women) and not to even consider second guessing some things is stupid.

4) I've heard from women who are really good people say that if they give their all or feel some how they've been wronged and their boyfriend/husband thinks he's going to screw them over they are going to pay where it hurts. Most times that's the pocket. Those sentiments are truly reflective of what they say about women scorned.

5) Remember courts tend to be sympathetic to women and this guy could loose everything if he doesn't protect himself.

Do what you think is in your best interest. You both can be madly in love, saying 'I'd never do that' and forever seems attainable but 2, 5, 16 or 20 years down the road could tell a different story.

Get your fiancée a copy of the contract (translated too) and have her have her lawyer go through the details with her so she knows exactly what she's agreeing to. Do things as professionally as possible so there are no loopholes or problems if your prenup needs to be used.

Failure to plan is a plan for failure.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Advice is good on this subject and each to his own or her own. But be very careful. To the OP, your future bride is very pretty. Does that scare you that later when she adapts to the US your Bacon is no good no more. Then, let her go. If you are afraid to look into the MIRROR.. Then let it go. Pre-nup or not, you are locked into a Contract either way.

Negative Vibes.. Always look for the worst and you will find it. Look for the good and it is posible it is there. Life is a chance.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.