Mr. Big Dog

NRA owes Obama family an apology

18 posts in this topic

is the nra trying to rouse the same sector that kept bush in office for eight damn years back into recruit mode?

are die hard democrats trying to further ostracize the gun toting working poor that they've always wished would just 'grow up' or 'read a book' or 'go away' already?

tune in next week, to the never ending culture economic divide that unites us all in loathing!

Apology for what? For making himself look like a dumba$$ for saying that armed security doesn't work in schools when it is what provides security for his own family?

He did that all by himself. Nobody insulted his family. They insulted his stupid logic.

Is he also going to surround himself with children when he demands his apology?

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Being from the UK, I am used to the general population being without firearms. I am also used to the police, on normal duty, being without firearms. The other half still looks at me with a slight sense of bewilderment whenever I react to yet another shooting incident here in the USA.

I can still remember the initial horror and consequent reaction after the Dunblane massacre in 1996, when 16 children of the same age as those at Sandy Hook were killed by another lone gunman. The UK does not have an armed presence in schools as a result.

However, as anti-gun ownership as I may be, I realise that there is one essential difference between the culture in the UK and what exists here in the USA. In the UK, gun ownership is rare. Here, gun ownership is commonplace, routine even. The police are armed all the time. Firearms have been a part of the way of life since this country's independence. Guns are out there. Everywhere. The Genie, so to speak, is out of the bottle.

And therein lies the problem here in the USA. It was still possible for the Dunblane gunman to carry out his attack and kill 16 children. Criminals and those determined to carry out acts like Columbine and Sandy Hook will always be able to find the means to do so, because there are so many guns already out there. The restrictions on firearm types and magazine capacities will have a far greater effect on the law-abiding gun owners than it will on those on the other side of the equation.

By all means increase background checks on gun buyers and their immediate family, to identify possible risk factors. Encourage greater gun safety and security in the home. Work on human side of the issue.

But leave the guns alone. You're going to leave the people at greater risk if you don't.

Edited by Pooky

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Being from the UK, I am used to the general population being without firearms. I am also used to the police, on normal duty, being without firearms. The other half still looks at me with a slight sense of bewilderment whenever I react to yet another shooting incident here in the USA.

I can still remember the initial horror and consequent reaction after the Dunblane massacre in 1996, when 16 children of the same age as those at Sandy Hook were killed by another lone gunman. The UK does not have an armed presence in schools as a result.

However, as anti-gun ownership as I may be, I realise that there is one essential difference between the culture in the UK and what exists here in the USA. In the UK, gun ownership is rare. Here, gun ownership is commonplace, routine even. The police are armed all the time. Firearms have been a part of the way of life since this country's independence. Guns are out there. Everywhere. The Genie, so to speak, is out of the bottle.

And therein lies the problem here in the USA. It was still possible for the Dunblane gunman to carry out his attack and kill 16 children. Criminals and those determined to carry out acts like Columbine and Sandy Hook will always be able to find the means to do so, because there are so many guns already out there. The restrictions on firearm types and magazine capacities will have a far greater effect on the law-abiding gun owners than it will on those on the other side of the equation.

By all means increase background checks on gun buyers and their immediate family, to identify possible risk factors. Encourage greater gun safety and security in the home. Work on human side of the issue.

But leave the guns alone. You're going to leave the people at greater risk if you don't.

You are right, of course, about the genie being out of the bottle here relative to the massive numbers of weapons in private ownership. Yet I still think we owe future generations at least making an attempt to make gun laws a bit more sane. Self-defense very rarely requires the ability to discharge 30 or more rounds without re-loading. I know it is shown on the screen multiple times but reality shows that the only real use for semi-auto firing large capacity weapons is offensive in nature. Zombie wars are not reality! So why don't we make semi-auto firing and the ability to accept large capacity magazines illegal for gun sales here? Register all those already out there and forbid transfer of ownership! Someday the citizens of this country might thank us. I know this incites the ire of the crazies on the right but if more of us will have the courage to stand up and declare publicly how we feel maybe we can turn the tide on this issue!

Nobody said anything about the entitlement of the president to a high level of security. Nobody said anything negative or deragatory about his children either. The armed security works - which is why this president arranged to have it for life.

So why get up in front of the nation and state that armed security works for him but not for the rest of the nation?

That's stupid, the video pointed out how stupid it is, and the lot of them are angry not because it's wrong but because it makes them and continues to make them look stupid.

Their arguments about "using children for political gain" look even stupider after they held a press conference and surrounded the president by children for his big signing.

just my opinion, fwiw. a president cannot make decisions with emotions clouding his judgment - therefore his family needs a similar level of security afforded to the office of the president. the last thing we'd want is someone using a member of his immediate family as hostage pawns for political gain. this level of security for his family removes that as a possibility.

in short - trying to compare the security afforded to obama's family/children to the average citizen's family is comparing two entirely different situations due to the very nature of the office held.

Did you even WATCH the video? What the hell are you talking about paranoia? The effective security for the president's children was contrasted with his dismissal of the idea that the same security would work for everyone else's children.

Charles said it quite well but I will add that it is an indictment of the level of blind paranoia on the right that such an obvious reason for the security given to the president's close family is so difficult to grasp by the loons on the far right! I would guess that the president and first lady, while understanding and appreciating the service of their Secret Service protectors, nonetheless recognize the loss of freedom and innocence for their daughters that such a life entails. Do we really want a society where heavily armed guards are needed everywhere? Why can't we just get the tools of mass killing out of the hands of those unfit to have them? Why don't we, the voting public of this country, have the right to put sensible limits on guns?

As to your argument about armed security and whether it works, you should know that answer. Columbine had armed security at the time of the massacre there. Reagan had heavy security when he was shot. It takes a far greater effort to achieve security for an individual than it does to breach that security! It is not a luxury any of us can afford personally. The president and his family get it ONLY because it entails national security!

i don't get it.

Filed: Timeline

So why get up in front of the nation and state that armed security works for him but not for the rest of the nation?

Did you even WATCH the video? What the hell are you talking about paranoia? The effective security for the president's children was contrasted with his dismissal of the idea that the same security would work for everyone else's children.

I take it you would like the Secret Service to protect you and your family 24-7-365 for the rest of yours and their lives. I guess that means you would rather suck on the taxpayer teat and throw out the Second Amendment, if you had a choice.

But then again, you would have to get elected first.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Nobody said anything about the entitlement of the president to a high level of security. Nobody said anything negative or deragatory about his children either. The armed security works - which is why this president arranged to have it for life.

That's stupid, the video pointed out how stupid it is, and the lot of them are angry not because it's wrong but because it makes them and continues to make them look stupid.

Their arguments about "using children for political gain" look even stupider after they held a press conference and surrounded the president by children for his big signing.

Who is going to pay? Now if you will propose that these guards will be paid by a gun purchase and ownership tax or by the manufacturers themselves then I will support it! But it will be massively expensive to protect all our classrooms, theatres, shopping malls, places of worship, and everywhere else gun loonies occasionally lose it and vent their rage with gunfire on the innocents. Who do you want to bear this cost?

May be a bit off topic.. Obvious one of the Obama girls has become a woman. This is still pootcial. How do you date a presidents daughter. It must be bad being the child of any President. Can you imagine trying to get your first kiss with all that secret service around

I bet you have to have background checks out the yazzo to go out with one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

How do you date a presidents daughter. It must be bad being the child of any President. Can you imagine trying to get your first kiss with all that secret service around

I bet you have to have background checks out the yazzo to go out with one.

Katie Holmes was in a movie about that but the boyfriend was a secret service officer.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

+1 You have pretty much the same opinion as my wife. She doesn't like firearms, doesn't want to use one in self defense etc. therefore I keep everything I own under lock and key which even she doesn't have access to. I'm not going to push her to do anything she isn't comfortable with.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

closed pending review

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Several posts removed for personal attacks or quoting same. Discuss the article in the OP civilly, or don't post. Thread bans and further admin action will be next *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg