RemiL

I met the man of my dreams while on B2, what do we do?!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'll explain the whole story so every detail is covered. I'm a U.S. citizen, born in New York. I found out I was pregnant in July, the father of my child had left the state and signed over the rights to the child over to me as he wasn't "fit" to be a father. Although this wasn't something I prepared for either, I loved my child so much that I wouldn't take the abortion route ready or not. I was told I wasn't going to be able to have children so finding out I had was a magical moment. I had handled the situation entirely on my own, playing mom and dad in the situation for my son in the process of pregnancy. In October, I was introduced to a guy that family friends wanted me to meet. At first, I thought he was a classic 'British guy" looking to find an American girls on holiday as he was showing interest in a pregnant girl (although I didn't look pregnant yet), and after a full night of talking, realizing the town I visited in England was the same he was from, we knew the same group of people, we were immediately inseparable. We believe we were meant to meet, and both have been exactly what we needed for each other. We've spent every day together, he's gone to doctors appointments with me, felt the baby with me, shopped for clothes for my son, even helped me pick out a name. He feels as if he's the father of my son, and gives me that feeling of a family. We truly do love each other unconditionally, and fully are prepared to do everything together. My family is entirely supportive of our relationship, as are his, and have talked to us about further plans. We want to get on the process of them before my (our) son is born. (He had lost a child prior through an abortion of an ex and has been heart broken since as he's wanted a family for years.)

He came to the U.S. on a B2 visa to get out of the U.K, take a vacation for a bit, and we met shortly after, there was no intention of getting married before obviously. He wants to be the "father figure" in my sons life, and has asked me to marry him. Of course I am dying to! He had come here on the B2 visa in October, and has it for 6 months. My son is going to be born in March 24, 2013. I have been researching into solutions of what we could do, and we really would like to get married as soon as possible, but we also don't want him to leave the U.S. as we really need/want to raise my son together from the beginning together. I was wondering what we can do from here. I had looked up getting the K-1 visa before, begin filing that and then get married as soon as that's approved while he's in the United States, but I'm not sure exactly how that all works out. I've also looked up if we got married, then start the AOS process as well while once again remaining in the U.S. Both of our families will sponsor for us, we have tons of cheesy romantic pictures of us, and friends who see our relationship so it can be easily proven to not be fraud. I can't say I know all the details, but if you can please tell me the best way to take this, what to do next, and if we can get married and then start the process while remaining in the United States. I'd like us to be married before my (our) son is born, give my (our) son a foundation, and prepare our lives as husband and wife. We both are 100% in this with zero doubts, please help us complete our family!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

if you marry then you can adjust status as obviously there was no intent to immigrate but just as some friendly advice, i would caution against rushing into things. you would also bear the burden of proving your relationship to immigration because of the quick time frame.

filing a k1 would send him back to the uk for around 8 months until he is approved to return and then marry you

oldlady.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

I love those pink glasses you are wearing!

You two can get married. No problem. Unlike in the Kingdom, there's no special visa needed to get married in the Land of the Brave and Free.

If a foreigner becomes the spouse of a U.S. citizen and wants to reside in the United States, they would file for Adjustment of Status (AoS) with the USCIS.

The following forms are needed:

I-130 (Petition for an alien relative),

I-485 (AoS),

I-864 (Affidavit of Support),

2 x G-325a (biographic info for both of you),

I-693 (the medical),

I-765 (work permit—EAD), andI-131 (Advance Parole—AP). The latter two are optional but FREE when submitted concurrently with the other forms what you want to do anyway, so absolutely file them!

Also needed is a check for $1,490. Personal check is okay and preferred as it allows you to trace when it was "cashed."

After about 10 to 12 weeks he will receive a plastic card which now is a combination of work permit (EAD) and Advance Parole (AP). At about the 3 to 5 months mark, you'll have the interview. Thereafter he will receive his "conditional," 2-year Green Card.

Edited by Brother Hesekiel

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

if you marry then you can adjust status as obviously there was no intent to immigrate but just as some friendly advice, i would caution against rushing into things. you would also bear the burden of proving your relationship to immigration because of the quick time frame.

filing a k1 would send him back to the uk for around 8 months until he is approved to return and then marry you

Would it be the best idea to wait a few months until getting married properly and filing for AOS? His B2 Visa is for 6 months and he has only been here for 2 1/2 months now so we can afterwards if that's a better idea.

Timeline

I love those pink glasses you are wearing!

You two can get married. No problem. Unlike in the Kingdom, there's no special visa needed to get married in the Land of the Brave and Free.

If a foreigner becomes the spouse of a U.S. citizen and wants to reside in the United States, they would file for Adjustment of Status (AoS) with the USCIS.

The following forms are needed:

I-130 (Petition for an alien relative),

I-485 (AoS),

I-864 (Affidavit of Support),

2 x G-325a (biographic info for both of you),

I-693 (the medical),

I-765 (work permit—EAD), andI-131 (Advance Parole—AP). The latter two are optional but FREE when submitted concurrently with the other forms what you want to do anyway, so absolutely file them!

Also needed is a check for $1,490. Personal check is okay and preferred as it allows you to trace when it was "cashed."

After about 10 to 12 weeks he will receive a plastic card which now is a combination of work permit (EAD) and Advance Parole (AP). At about the 3 to 5 months mark, you'll have the interview. Thereafter he will receive his "conditional," 2-year Green Card.

Thank you so much for this information! It's so helpful, so I've written it down. Like I asked the former replier, do you think it would be best to get married as soon as possible? Or would it be better to wait till he's been here at least 4 full months? He has a B2 Visa for 6 months and came here in October, so we do have that time, but I want to make sure that he wouldn't get in trouble if any time went over while our paperwork was going through and his visa was coming close to an end. Thank you so much for your help again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Would it be the best idea to wait a few months until getting married properly and filing for AOS? His B2 Visa is for 6 months and he has only been here for 2 1/2 months now so we can afterwards if that's a better idea.

There is so much more to this than just marrying and living happily ever after.

First, unless you can afford to sponsor him yourself (i.e. you earn $19K p/a - more after you have the baby) you are asking your family to sign a contract with the government to pay back any means tested benefits he may use. You've only known him 2 1/2 months, that obligation can last a minimum of 10 years and mean tens of thousands of dollars for your family. I know you think you know him but there are many people here who thought they knew the people that ended up breaking their hearts and bank accounts as well.

On a more personal note (which you can feel free to ignore) You've known him for 2 months and you are currently pregnant and at the mercy of your hormones. You were abandoned by the father of your child only recently and now you're madly in love with someone you just met. I suggest you DO NOT marry him or do anything permanent until after you have had the baby and your hormones have settled down and you're out of the shiny sparkly moment. Whether he gets a work visa, or student visa, or leaves the US and comes back again later... but not yet because you appear to be seriously rushing into this. Your friends and family are probably happy for you, but I'm sure they share concerns that they're too scared to tell you because it might burst your happy bubble.

He's from the UK but that doesn't mean he's not capable of fraud. I'm not saying he is committing fraud but he has a life he doesn't want to go back to. Why? Who can just up and leave their life and never go back unless there was some sort of plan? He had planned to go back after 6 months. Back to what? if he had nothing to go back to then that's suspicious. If he had things to go back to, why doesn't he still need to go back?

I'm not trying to scare you. You can file AOS if you have the money (as others posted above) but remember it's not about looking in love, you need to show co-mingling of finances and all sorts of other bonafide relationship things and having JUST met, being pregnant with another mans baby (don't even try and pretend the baby is his)... it's not going to make your stuff easier.

PLEASE take the time to think about this more. Having gone through the process I would NEVER sign the I-864 (support form) for anyone other than my husband or mother. It is a serious serious form with serious consequences.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

There is so much more to this than just marrying and living happily ever after.

First, unless you can afford to sponsor him yourself (i.e. you earn $19K p/a - more after you have the baby) you are asking your family to sign a contract with the government to pay back any means tested benefits he may use. You've only known him 2 1/2 months, that obligation can last a minimum of 10 years and mean tens of thousands of dollars for your family. I know you think you know him but there are many people here who thought they knew the people that ended up breaking their hearts and bank accounts as well.

On a more personal note (which you can feel free to ignore) You've known him for 2 months and you are currently pregnant and at the mercy of your hormones. You were abandoned by the father of your child only recently and now you're madly in love with someone you just met. I suggest you DO NOT marry him or do anything permanent until after you have had the baby and your hormones have settled down and you're out of the shiny sparkly moment. Whether he gets a work visa, or student visa, or leaves the US and comes back again later... but not yet because you appear to be seriously rushing into this. Your friends and family are probably happy for you, but I'm sure they share concerns that they're too scared to tell you because it might burst your happy bubble.

He's from the UK but that doesn't mean he's not capable of fraud. I'm not saying he is committing fraud but he has a life he doesn't want to go back to. Why? Who can just up and leave their life and never go back unless there was some sort of plan? He had planned to go back after 6 months. Back to what? if he had nothing to go back to then that's suspicious. If he had things to go back to, why doesn't he still need to go back?

I'm not trying to scare you. You can file AOS if you have the money (as others posted above) but remember it's not about looking in love, you need to show co-mingling of finances and all sorts of other bonafide relationship things and having JUST met, being pregnant with another mans baby (don't even try and pretend the baby is his)... it's not going to make your stuff easier.

PLEASE take the time to think about this more. Having gone through the process I would NEVER sign the I-864 (support form) for anyone other than my husband or mother. It is a serious serious form with serious consequences.

I know it may seems like it's emotions, but I know for a fact it's not. When you know, you really know. I'll do anything for our family unit, as will he and our families. We're 100% about this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Duplicate topic on this subject removed. Please do not start multiple threads on the same subject, if you have any additional questions or follow up posts, please post in this thread. Post from the removed thread is below.***

I posted once before but I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before beginning we begin to file. My boyfriend/fiancé is a UK Citizen, came here on a B2 with no intent, we fell in love, he asked me to marry him, and now we live together. He has the B-2 till end of April 2013, and is in US with me. We are planning to file for AOS, and I know he'll need a sponsor which both our families are open to doing. Does the sponsor have to live in the US? Or can they be from the UK? We planned to get married in February, then begin filing. That's not too close to his ending B-2 correct?

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Congrats on the pregnancy! :thumbs:

Having been a similar position myself (get divorced while pregnant), I have a little idea about what you must be feeling. I had gotten back together with an ex (Swedish, but with a greencard already) when I was pregnant. He wanted to be my daughter's father very badly especially as it seemed he could have no children of his own. I decided against marrying him, even though he did propose and we dated for another 3 years.

Also, I second what Vanessa&Tony said and from a personal background in it. My British biological father used my mother for a greencard. Once he was in America and had what he wanted his tune completely changed. I've also got other British relatives who have laid in wait for an American to come along. There is some desperation among some British people to get out of England, don't kid yourself into thinking there isn't. My cousin had to go back for a couple of months trying to figure out a way to get her and her husband in and she would have done anything to get to America and out of England. That isn't to say that America is some promise land and all people from England are just clawing to get in, but Americans sometimes get the same rosy image of other countries that foreigners get of America.

Anyways, I would wait on the AOS, you've got time. Do not let him rush you into it, go to England meet his family, see how he lives, get involved in his life, and really look for red flags before you decide to marry him. :thumbs:

The sponsor has be currently domiciled in America *and* be a citizen or LPR.

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

B2 VISAs can be extended for upto a year. So, he can extend his stay for another 6 months. Is it not? That will give you some time to think through this.

Edited by inqztve

What I post here is merely my personal opinion and not a valid legal advice and should not be viewed as such.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.