johnandkate

Attorney wants a copy of the green card

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

My wife got her conditional green card recently. We retained an attorney to do the paperwork for us. (He didn't do a great job, though). Now the attorney asked us to send him a copy of my wife's green card for his record. I don't know if we should. We don't really want to. Do we have to?

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

My wife got her conditional green card recently. We retained an attorney to do the paperwork for us. (He didn't do a great job, though). Now the attorney asked us to send him a copy of my wife's green card for his record. I don't know if we should. We don't really want to. Do we have to?

Thank you.

If you don't want to, don't. You don't work for him, he works for you. If you no longer require his services then that's that.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi,

Thank you.

no you don't have too,

I wonder why you need a lawyer for,you could have done it with no coast.

Timeline

Thank you.

We knew nothing about immigration law when we started the procedure. I only found visajourney a short while back, after we had been waiting for quite a long time. I didn't know that my wife could get a SSN right after her arrival. Then it came the time for her to open a bank account, they required her SSN, I called my lawyer, he told us to wait and said he would let us know when the time came. We never heard from him. Then my wife's I-94 and visa expired. When my wife got her work permit, the attorney didn't tell us that she could apply for a SSN with her work permit either. I wrote to him asking how and when we could try to get her one, he never responded.

It was when I found this useful website. We got my wife a SSN with her work permit and then contacted the congressman. Then she got her green card. And out of nowhere we heard from our attorney! No, we won't ever need his service any more.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

the ONLY TIME ONE NEEDS A LAWYER WHEN DEALING WITH IMMIGRATION IS IF THEY EITHER ARE IN DEPORTATION PROCESS, HERE ILLEGAL OR HAVE SOME SORT OF CRIMINAL ISSUES THAT MAY PREVENT THEM FROM ACQUIRING A GREEN-CARD OR OTHER SERVICES.....WHETHER YOU ARE FIRST TIME FILERS OR NOT THE FORMS ARE VERY SELF EXPLANATORY AND EVEN IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE FORM YOU CAN ALWAYS MAKE AN INFO PASS APPOINTMENT AND GET THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER TO ASSIST YOU. AS FOR YOUR GREEN CARD IT BELONGS TO YOU SO YOU DON'T NEED TO GIVE THE LAWYER A COPY IF HE NEEDED TO GET A COPY IMMIGRATION WOULD HAVE SENT HIM ONE.

Timeline

Yes, that was what I thought too. We never said we would buy his service for further paperwork. He didn't write like "Could you please send us a copy of your green card", but his wording was "when you receive the green card, send us a copy..." that sounds like we are obligated to. Now I know that we don't have to, we're not going to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from main AOS/Family-Based forum to General Immigration Discussion -- OP has completed AOS, and thread topic is not an AOS process. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are under no obligation to send the attorney a copy of the green card. Send him a letter thanking him for his services (such as they were!) and tell him he can close the file. There is no reason he should have or need a copy of the green card.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

Thank you.

I would say, the GC, like many other official IDs, is a confidential document and should be kept private. The fewer times that you share it, the better. You do not want the copy sitting in your lawyer's file where it is a sitting duck for identity theft.

The Journey

Arrived on F1 visa on 25 Dec 2008. Graduated June 2011. Started OPT Sep 2011.

AOS applied March 21, 2012. GC approved June 11, 2012 & received June 18, 2012.

Exactly three months from start to finish,no RFEs.

AOS Timeline:

Day 01,March 21, 2012: Concurrent filing of I-130/AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

Day 02,March 22, 2012: Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day 04,March 24, 2012: USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received through e-mail

Day 07,March 27, 2012: Checks cashed.

Day 13,April 02, 2012 : NOAs received for I-130,I-485,EAD/AP & Biometrics

Day 36,April 25, 2012 : Biometrics Completed at Elizabeth, NJ.

Day 45,May 04, 2012 : E-mail notification for interview received for June 11

Day 46,May 05, 2012 : Received hard copy of interview notice

Day 56,May 16, 2012 : EAD/AP Production e-mail

Day 64,May 24, 2012 : EAD/AP Card in hand

Day 83,June 11,2012 : Interview. Approved same day. Card production email.

Day 84,June 12,2012 : E-mail Notification registering PR status.

Day 87,June 15,2012 : USPS picks up GC from USCIS.

Day 88,June 16,2012 : Received two hard copy mails, approving I-130 & I-485

Day 90,June 18,2012 : 10-year GC in hand. End of GC journey, for now.

Yes, that was what I thought too. We never said we would buy his service for further paperwork. He didn't write like "Could you please send us a copy of your green card", but his wording was "when you receive the green card, send us a copy..." that sounds like we are obligated to. Now I know that we don't have to, we're not going to.

Did you sign a contract?

My hubby and I were so close to use a lawyer but thank GOD we just sat down and read everything because Lawyers are not helpful unless like others have said you have deportation, criminal records.. and so on.

You can call USCIS and ask if it's required to give a copy of your gc to the lawyer. To my understanding, you can't make a copy of the gc for security purposes...

You have to be very careful. DO NOT trust a lawyer, afterall, it a business not a friend.

11/17/2011- Sent AOS packet
12/15/2011- Received AOS packet
01/03/2012- Received NOA 1
02/07/2012- Biometrics
03/17/2012- Transfer to Missouri
04/25/2012- Transfer to Vermont
10/23/2012- Transfer to CSC
12/01/2012- AOS interview
12/03/2012- AOS approved- email notice
12/07/2012- Received Conditional GC-2014

09/04/2014- Sent I-751
09/09/2014- NOA1
09/13/2014- NOA2 for Biometrics
10/01/2014- Biometrics app
01/05/2015- ROC approval/card production
01/08/2015- Received letter in the mail of approval
01/09/2015- GC sent by 3-Day Priority Mail
01/10/2015- Received renewed card in the mail

09/04/2015- Eligible to apply for N-400 based on 3 year rule
#/#/##- N-400 sent
#/#/##- N-400 delivered
#/#/##- NOA1 received
#/#/##- Biometrics
#/#/##- Interview
#/#/##- Oath letter
#/#/##- Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Our attorney also asked for copies of our green cards. It's not, as someone suggested, for the attorney to show their success rait, if you lose your green card it gets stolen etc your attorney can easier help you out. You don't have to give anyone a copy if you don't want to!

However, making a copy and keep somewhere safe for yourself is a good idea, just in case.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.