10 posts in this topic

I am filling out the I-485 for my wife. I have a question. When it says family name is that her maiden name or our last name now that we are married? We are curious about this.

Use whatever name you want on the greencard.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You can use the married name for the surname, and put her birth surname for the maiden name if she wants to use the married name as her surname.

that wasn't the question

Use whatever name you want on the greencard.

good.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am filling out the I-485 for my wife. I have a question. When it says family name is that her maiden name or our last name now that we are married? We are curious about this.

Always put the name she plans to use from now on. If she is taking your last name since you married, then that is the name you use on all the AOS forms. The name you use is the name that the EAD/AP and green card will come in. It costs a bit and takes months to change the name on the green card, so that is why you want to apply for AOS with the name she will legally go by from now on. If she is changing her name through marriage, list her married name as the Family name on all forms, and list her maiden name only where it asks for maiden/previous names or name as listed on I-94.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello i just wanna ask cause its been bothering me a lot we applied adjustment status and i got my biometrics done october 1 2012 i received my EAD month of november my question is how long it will take before i can receive my green card and also i never receive any email or mail from uscis that i got approved but i recieve a receipt for my i485 im also checking my status online but it never change its still acceptance...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

your last name is the one that you should use cause you are married already...

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you make a Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad at the Philippine Consulate in your area?

You would need to file it now, especially if your wife will use your surname, so she can also use it on her Philippine passport.

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm#ROM

No, we did not make a report to the consulate. We got married in NC and a couple days later we moved out here to California for my job. The consulate in LA only handles marriages in the Southwest Region of the USA.

But thank you for all your answers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Always put the name she plans to use from now on. If she is taking your last name since you married, then that is the name you use on all the AOS forms. The name you use is the name that the EAD/AP and green card will come in. It costs a bit and takes months to change the name on the green card, so that is why you want to apply for AOS with the name she will legally go by from now on. If she is changing her name through marriage, list her married name as the Family name on all forms, and list her maiden name only where it asks for maiden/previous names or name as listed on I-94.

THANK YOU, very clear and helpful. Wish you good luck! Thanks for helping on this not easy way....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.