JustUs

Long AP Status

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am curious about others who have been in AP for a long time - is it just me over-analyzing or does there seem to be a trend towards beneficiaries who are of the Muslim religion to go into AP more commonly and for longer periods? I hope no one is offended by this topic - I just feel a need to talk it out a bit based on several AP situations I have tracked on this site. My husband has been in AP since October, 2011. Yes, we have written and called, several times, everybody we can think of who might have some pull to help us. No one can, so we just wait our turn.

To all the other AP folks waiting in the wings with us, keep your head up and keep the love strong.

Staying strong and patient in love and faith!

http://ghanaspouse.blogspot.com/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow that is a long time

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Yes it is Mr Smiley. Unfortunately, I found another VJ member who has been in AP longer than we have. Unlike the other stages in the process, AP at our stage has no projected timeline nor can you follow others in AP as a possible indication of when you will get out - each case is different. You just sit in limbo and pray (after continuosly writing and calling) that they didn't just loose your case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Things that lengthen AP, coming from places with poor records, having a name that is common in the area ( which John Smith are you ? ) , coming from an area/religion/affiliation that has previous black marks for fraud/hostility/anti Us sentiments. Any of these apply to you ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

If you haven't contacted your US senator or congressperson yet, I would. You need for someone to inquire on your behalf. I don't think AP has anything to do with Muslim men PER SE. The fact is that many countries in the Middle East have a high incidence of marriage based immigration fraud, and that is the reason for the higher than average AP rates. My husband is from Jordan and spent about 10 weeks in AP. We were never given a reason why(most of time the reason for AP is never divulged). Good luck and contact an elected official ASAP to inquire on your behalf.

Edited by mimolicious

Timeline

I am not sure how to answer that one. I know that Ghana is identified as one of the "high fraud" countries. However, many get through without being placed in AP. Religious affiliations with possible "black marks" - again, there are plenty of Muslims who get through the process in Ghana without being placed in AP, but, I am still curious about how the embassy views Muslims. As far as a common name is concerned, again I don't know the answer to that either, but, it just seems amazing that it would take the US government more than a year to clear up any possible name discrepancies. You have probably hit some of the hot spots, but, for each one I have seen just the opposite occur. My husband's brother married a US citizen long after we began our process and he was able to get through the visa process without any problems. It is just a mystery to us and apparently it is intended to be so. :(

Timeline

If you haven't contacted your US senator or congressperson yet, I would. You need for someone to inquire on your behalf. I don't think AP has anything to do with Muslim men PER SE. The fact is that many countries in the Middle East have a high incidence of marriage based immigration fraud, and that is the reason for the higher than average AP rates. My husband is from Jordan and spent about 10 weeks in AP. We were never given a reason why(most of time the reason for AP is never divulged). Good luck and contact an elected official ASAP to inquire on your behalf.

I hope you are right about it not being a Muslim male thing - that would make me very disappointed in my government. I have had both a Congressman and a Senator inquire on our behalf multiple times. I even spoke directly with the State Department today and we got the same answer - no answer, we just have to wait - as you have already stated. I have written to the President as well and I keep getting a form letter telling me how much work needs to be done with the immigration processes.

I will say that I am optimistic that all will be well, I just want it to happen in my lifetime! (A little dark humor on my part.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I am not sure why some are so long and others not. My fiance is from Iran and male, I thought it would take months and it was less then 4 wks. I have heard some men from Pakistan may take over a year. Like everything else in this process you have to be so patient.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am not sure how to answer that one. I know that Ghana is identified as one of the "high fraud" countries. However, many get through without being placed in AP. Religious affiliations with possible "black marks" - again, there are plenty of Muslims who get through the process in Ghana without being placed in AP, but, I am still curious about how the embassy views Muslims. As far as a common name is concerned, again I don't know the answer to that either, but, it just seems amazing that it would take the US government more than a year to clear up any possible name discrepancies. You have probably hit some of the hot spots, but, for each one I have seen just the opposite occur. My husband's brother married a US citizen long after we began our process and he was able to get through the visa process without any problems. It is just a mystery to us and apparently it is intended to be so. :(

I was at the interview with my husband and he was treated better than me, the US citizen. Most of the people working at and in the embassy were from Jordan and Muslim. I think you are reading too much into the Muslim thing. The fact of the matter is that a lot of Muslim countries have a high incidence of immigration fraud, therefore the high rates of AP. I think this would be the same if the high fraud incidence rates were in "Christian" countries, the AP rates would be higher than average. As someone else stated earlier AP name checks can take a long time if record keeping in your husband's country are not good, making it difficult for the US to verify information. At this point you have been in AP well over a year and you need to have someone inquire on your behalf. Good luck and keep us updated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Embassy/Consulate forum to General Immigration Discussion -- topic is general & not specific to a particular consulate. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

my husband was also placed in AP for 7 months. you should call the District of State (1-202-663-1225) and they'll ask for case# and name and give you update if pending AP or not. i use to call this # everyday until they gave me a good news that AP is over.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

2010-04-19: approved online wohoooo

2010-04-24: NOA2 hardcopy received

2010-04-26: gave 2 email addresses and assigned case #

2010-04-27: received/sent ds3032, AOS bill

2010-05-01: IV bill became available online/paid

2010-05-06: sent in DS230 package via express mail 9:07am

2010-05-11: NVC acknowledges the receipt of AOS on 05/05

2010-05-13: operator told me that AOS sent to supervisor for review....

2010-05-14: AVR changes to received the checklist letter response on 5/13

2010-05-23: RFE for original birth cert. (i did sent original).......arghhh

2010-05-24: BC under review by some department

2010-06-02: sent in original BC again and previous BC is still under review

2010-06-10: NVC recognizes BC into their system

2010-06-15: BC under review

2010-06-21: SIF!!!!!omggggg soo happy 57 days in NVC process

2010-06-28: interview on Aug. 19, 8am.

2010-08-19: interview went fine but he's put into AP :(

2011-01-09: almost 5 months in AP "still pending"

2011-02-06: 5 and half months and still counting......when is this torture going to end....

2011-02-20: 6 months still no answer..........

2011-03-08: more than 200 days passed in AP..................(

2011-03-24: visa has been issued today. hurayyyyyyyyyy finally wait is overrrr.

2011-03-26: got the passport wohoooo

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In this case AP means additional processing, meaning everything isn't done on the day of your interview so you have to wait longer. It also means advanced parol when you are talking someone that arrived on a K1 and wants permission to travel before they recieve their green card.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.