Darnell

SSN Howto

146 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've written something up for a SSN Howto - please have a read, make comments. At some point, I'll refactor, ask for it to be pinned here.

Thanks !

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

SSN Info for K-1 visa Holders and CR/IR Visa Holders

K-1 Visa Holders

Regardless of your Marital Status, you are allowed to apply for a SSN.

You have a particular time window in which to apply -

starts 2 weeks after POE date and ends 2 weeks before the I-94 expires.

Why are these start/end dates important?

2 weeks after POE date, the SAVE database MIGHT have you in the system.

SAVE is used by SSA clerks to validate you are eligible.

2 weeks prior to I-94 expiring, SSA won't accept the application, as the validity date to

receive it will pass by the time it's mailed out to you.

How to apply:

Get into your local SSA office, bring your passport and I-94 and a birth certificate. The birth

certificate is optional, but some SSA staffers want to see it. Fill out the SS-5 form there, use

your visa name (regardless of marital status) then

--ask the SSA clerk to look you up in the SAVE system via VISA NAME and/or A#.

---If the SSA clerk can't find you, withdraw the SS-5 firmly, and come back in a week.

---If the SSA clerk can find you by VISA Name but not A#, or vice versa, you need to get to a CBP secondary inspection office and FIX YOUR SAVE RECORD with a CBP staffer (see http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/overview_deferred_inspection.xml for the local office address). Don't bother with using a telephone, just go to the office. No queues, no lines, no waiting, just go. If the CBP staffer is confused, ask for the shift supervisor - tell them you have issues with your SAVE record..

---If the SSA clerk CAN FIND YOU, YAY! Go through with the SS-5 application. Come back the next day, and ask for the SSN. Note the physical card will be mailed out, but you can have the NUMBER the next working day.

Whilst at the SSA office -

Ask any clerk to look her up in the SAVE database, in the VISA name and A#.

If they can't find her by EITHER ONE (name or A#) - go away, do not allow the application to be

accepted, come back in a week - SAVE system doesn't have her, yet.

IF any SSA clerk mumbles 'need DHS/USCIS electronic verification' - do not allow the application to be accepted - come back in a week - SAVE system doesn't have her, yet.

Although SAVE database is useful for 'status checking' at the SSA office (by the SSA clerks) -

many of them are not trained on how to use it. If you get blank looks or mumbles, ask for a

Supervisor, and ask the Supervisor to 'look her up' in SAVE.

If she is found via A# but the VISA name is stored wrong, in SAVE, you'll need to do something else, with the SAVE unit, to get it changed.

It's a hassle, sure, but suggest you do change it to proper spelling of 'VISA NAME' prior to SSN issuance.

More SAVE INFO -

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=1721c2ec0c7c8110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextoid=1721c2ec0c7c8110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Thank you so much for all this info, Darnell!! :) Very very useful :thumbs:

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

This thread is a wealth of information but there is SO little on the VJ guides and stickies on what to do when you already have a SSN (which is my case).

I'm looking up threads and using the Search function, and if I don't find an answer to my question, I'll post it in a new topic, but in the meantime just wanted to give a shout-out that info on already existing SSN's would also be helpful. :)

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

So Darnell,

I'm dealing with a K-1 scenario of "FNU" on and last name is "First Last" combined on the NVC letter, on the K-1 Visa which is on the passport, and on the I-94 (had a hard time figuring out why I couldnt find e-I-94 until I realized the FNU dilemma here, thanks).

Being lazy, I called local CBP dept and they said because passport is blank for SURNAME and "First Last" for Given Name, that I should contact USCIS and get a case opened and likely will have to update passport.

Based on your understanding and current practices, I still should go physically to the local CBP and try to have them fix the SAVE db correct?

If so, what document should I show them? Original Birth Cert? Or just explain?

Thanks

Timeline

Darnell,

Thanks for this HowTo and the clear instructions of GOING to CBP (in lieu of calling) to get this resolved. I had called and they said fix the passport. Today I went and spoke with them.

One guy was willing to do it, but was busy with something. The next guy said no, they dont fix FNU if that's what the VISA has on it (it did for the K-1) but upon me insisting he look into it he offered to talk to his supervisor about it (I had shown him the I-129F and the G-325 and the birth certificate all showing clear diff between FirstName and LastName).

10 minutes later the officer and the supervisor came out and the supervisor had a look on his face i couldnt make out. He asked what's the situation. I explained and showed him the I-129F and G-325 and Birth Certificate and I had all the 129F application and the Consulate forms all with me.

Supervisor said they are obliged to adhere to whatever it says on the Visa (FNU) but since the I-129F does show a clear First and Last name, and because he looked at the submitted form in the computer inside before coming out, he will have the I-94 system changed to reflect the I-129F form. Otherwise he would have fallen back on the VISA info.

He advised better checking of accurate info on the visa (I had explained that Consulate is in Mombai and hometown was HYD = 16 hours bus ride) so that even if they had noticed the problem, it would have been difficult.

He did say that CBP updating I-94 may not necessarily update the database used by DMV and SS. I didnt think that was in line with the info here about the SAVE DB.

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am worried now because I see that our I94 expires 10/28/2015 and we are going to try to get SSN tomorrow which is 10/23/2015. We came in on K-1 and we are filing our I485 EAD and AP papers tomorrow. If anyone knows for sure if we will have problems please let me know ASAP......Thanks everyone!

Jim and Nina

12/20/2014 Sent I-129F to Texas Lockbox

12/22/2014 Signed by Lockbox Staff

12/24/2014 Text and Emailed that it was received by TSC

12/29/2014 Got Hardcopy of NOA 1 in mail.

01/26/2015 Got Hardcopy of NOA 2 in mail

02/05/2015 Called NVC had a case number given to me.

02/18/2015 Case sent to Thailand Embassy.

I am worried now because I see that our I94 expires 10/28/2015 and we are going to try to get SSN tomorrow which is 10/23/2015. We came in on K-1 and we are filing our I485 EAD and AP papers tomorrow. If anyone knows for sure if we will have problems please let me know ASAP......Thanks everyone!

Jim and Nina

It's too late for you to apply for the SSN now. Your I-94 will expire before they can issue the SSN.

You need to wait until you have the EAD in hand. Once you have your EAD, you can go to the SSA office and apply for your SSN.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Jim and Nina

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Zedayn is correct, and I speak from experience as I went ONE day after the cut-off time.

Next step? Continue filing for EAD/AOS, do the fingerprint in about 2-3w from filing, and EAD will come in about 9-10w from filing, then you can go to SSN from my understanding.

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

bump

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 5/27/2015 at 4:17 PM, lazy said:

Darnell,

Thanks for this HowTo and the clear instructions of GOING to CBP (in lieu of calling) to get this resolved. I had called and they said fix the passport. Today I went and spoke with them.

One guy was willing to do it, but was busy with something. The next guy said no, they dont fix FNU if that's what the VISA has on it (it did for the K-1) but upon me insisting he look into it he offered to talk to his supervisor about it (I had shown him the I-129F and the G-325 and the birth certificate all showing clear diff between FirstName and LastName).

10 minutes later the officer and the supervisor came out and the supervisor had a look on his face i couldnt make out. He asked what's the situation. I explained and showed him the I-129F and G-325 and Birth Certificate and I had all the 129F application and the Consulate forms all with me.

Supervisor said they are obliged to adhere to whatever it says on the Visa (FNU) but since the I-129F does show a clear First and Last name, and because he looked at the submitted form in the computer inside before coming out, he will have the I-94 system changed to reflect the I-129F form. Otherwise he would have fallen back on the VISA info.

He advised better checking of accurate info on the visa (I had explained that Consulate is in Mombai and hometown was HYD = 16 hours bus ride) so that even if they had noticed the problem, it would have been difficult.

He did say that CBP updating I-94 may not necessarily update the database used by DMV and SS. I didnt think that was in line with the info here about the SAVE DB.

A followup - 

Good on you for getting the name fixed in SAVE at the POE . 

The DMV and SS use the SAVE db as their source .   If it's wrong in SAVE, well...   

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 7 months later...

Relevant update for SSN applicants who are not immediately issued their SSN. SAVE goes completely electronic, meaning that the G-845 paper version is abolished by June 1st, 2018.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/save-goes-completely-paperless

Credit @Alabamak1. Hopefully this means that people stuck with manual verifications (like, frankly, the two of us) will have quicker processing in the future.

h

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
On 6/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, LizM said:

Relevant update for SSN applicants who are not immediately issued their SSN. SAVE goes completely electronic, meaning that the G-845 paper version is abolished by June 1st, 2018.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/save-goes-completely-paperless

Credit @Alabamak1. Hopefully this means that people stuck with manual verifications (like, frankly, the two of us) will have quicker processing in the future.

Should you still wait 2 weeks after POE to apply for SSN, with this new update?  Or can you do it sooner?  Thanks :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.