Darnell

SSN Howto

146 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I say:

1. get a new I-94 online

2. show yer birth certificate and the I-94 at a SSA office,

3. apply in VISA name (which matches the name in the I-94 document)

do that, this upcoming week.

Don't apply in 'married name' at the moment - it's a mess at most SSA offices (though some staff have been trained and there's no lag about it) - you can come back, after card in hand, and update the name. Some folk have great success doing stuff in married name prior to I-94 expiration - IMO, they be the exceptions, not the standard, as most SSA clerks are not so trained to handle that permutation for a K-1 visa holder.

yer Q4 - yup - that I-94 governs WHEN you can get married. If you marry AFTER it expires, then for an AOS, must to file I-130 + I-485 (please make a new topic about this, if you need further clarification) .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If married, you should use the name on your marriage certificate, since it was legally changed (most likely) from visa name. That way, you will get a SS card in the mail with married (legal) name, and no need to file for change of name. Will save you some time, if you happen to care about your paper card being correct.

We tried this, me and my wife, but we were told we could only file for a SSN with her maiden name because the INS (and her Visa) has her maiden name (even though we had certified marriage certificates with us), we'd have to go by the INS office to fix this to get the card issued in her married name the guy told us; so we just accepted it AS IS in her maiden name (about 1 week to go until we have it)...figure we can come back with SSN, AOS/green card and fix that later...am I correct?

Brett and Marichu

Edited by cleverest

Timeline

yup, can always fix later, with EAD card in hand.

the important bit, IMO, is getting it issued, the first time, inside the I-94 window.

Miss that? for a K-1 visa holder? Life is a bit painful.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

We tried this, me and my wife, but we were told we could only file for a SSN with her maiden name because the INS (and her Visa) has her maiden name (even though we had certified marriage certificates with us), we'd have to go by the INS office to fix this to get the card issued in her married name the guy told us; so we just accepted it AS IS in her maiden name (about 1 week to go until we have it)...figure we can come back with SSN, AOS/green card and fix that later...am I correct?

Brett and Marichu

That is weird, and probably just a testament to the ineptness of SSA employees. I-94 shouldn't matter. Ours was expired when we applied for SSN. We brought her passport as well as marriage license, and got her SS card in her married name. One shot, one kill, no return, too easy.

yup, can always fix later, with EAD card in hand.

the important bit, IMO, is getting it issued, the first time, inside the I-94 window.

Miss that? for a K-1 visa holder? Life is a bit painful.

Why inside I-94 window? Not sure why that would matter, hers was expired when we filed for SSN. The only painful part for us (in AK) was that we could not get a driver's permit with expired I-94, had to wait until we had a NOA for AOS in order to allow her to drive.

Timeline

For a K-1 visa holder, I-94 dates matter.

There are several stages 'along the way' when one is eligible to file and get a SSN. I-94 expired and no EAD or greencard in hand? You don't qualify, per SSA regs. If you got one outside of the applicable windows (I-94 is just one one them) then you got exceptionally lucky and some SSA clerk didn't know the regs.

So, what worked for you was an anomoly. Not standard. Mostly predicated on lack of knowledge by the SSA clerk you 'dealt' with, that day.

Timeline

That is weird, and probably just a testament to the ineptness of SSA employees. I-94 shouldn't matter.

You got exceptionally lucky, as SSA clerks with even a modicum of training know about the I-94 window and why it's important to apply in VISA name. There are exceptions based on SSA clerks actual handling of the application, mostly these exceptions occur due to ignorance. Edited by Darnell

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Done applying for my ssn I just handed my application form and passport.

Feb. 2013 - First conversation ( we met through a friend )
Mar 26, 2013 - First meeting in person, Manila
April 06, 2013 - He went back to US
April 15, 2013 - I-129F sent to USCIS
April 17, 2013 - I-129F delivered
April 19, 2013 - NOA1
April 23, 2013 - Alien Registration Number was changed
June 17, 2013 - Second Visit
July 31,2013 - RFE
August 06, 2013 - Return to US
August 08, 2013 - RFE reply sent. ( next day delivery service)
August 09, 2013 - RFE response received
August 13, 2013- APPROVED!
12nn - Received an email from Representative Staff that our petition is approved already. ( w/ email from USCIS officer )
8pm - Received email confirmation about the approval & Online Status Updated.
August 14,2013- got my BC & Cenomar ( waited 5mins for BC & almost 1 1/2hr for Cenomar)
August 15, 2013 - got my NBI ( total processing time from step 1 to releasing 1 1/2hrs)
August 23,2013 - CFO Attended, Got GCC. Sticker to follow.
Sep 18, 2013 - Got MNL Case # via Phone & Paid Visa Fee @ BPI
Sept 23, 2013 - Medical PASSED - 1 Day Only

Sep 24, 2013 - Case status " READY"
Oct 07, 2013 - Interview - APPROVED
Oct 08,2013 - Status changed AP then ISSUED

Oct 10, 2013 - Status @ 2go site - HOLD for Pick up

Oct. 16, 2013 - US Entry @ LAX

Oct. 18, 2013 - Printed I-94

Oct. 29,2013 - Applied Marriage License & SSN
Nov. 25, 2013 - Wedding @ San Diego

s-event.png <p>

s-event.png

event.png

You got exceptionally lucky, as SSA clerks with even a modicum of training know about the I-94 window and why it's important to apply in VISA name. There are exceptions based on SSA clerks actual handling of the application, mostly these exceptions occur due to ignorance

No, we did not get lucky. I forgot that we applied (the first time) before the I-94 expired. But the USPS sent her SSC back without delivering it, so we had to go back to the SSO and file for a replacement. When we did, the I-94 was expired. But since the SSN was issued prior to expiration, we were ok. I just forgot the sequence of events when I looked at the date on her card and letter.

Timeline

ah - cool ! Then that's an entirely different thing, based on the sequence of events. Thanks for remembering, and the later clarification.

ah - cool ! Then that's an entirely different thing, based on the sequence of events. Thanks for remembering, and the later clarification.

Getting older, I now see how my father forgot things. Now if I could only remember where I put my wife last...

Timeline

Just want to ask, whats the use of SSN for K1 visa holder if it's not even valid for work?

I will be one month now here in the US on 13th..

AOS

02/28/2014 I-485 & I-765 Package sent

03/04/2014 Package received at the USCIS (NOA I-797C)

03/07/2014 Notice date (NOA I-797)

03/09/2014 Text and Email received from USCIS

03/11/2014 NOA for I-485 and I-765 hard copy received<p>

03/17/2014 Biometrics Appointment for 04/04/2014

04/04/2014 Biometrics

06/04/2014 EAD card on hand

06/05/2014 NPIWC

11/24/2014 WELCOME Notice

11/28/2014 Green Card Received! :dancing::)

Timeline

useful for other things, like

--getting yer name on a lease or

--getting a usa bank account or

--getting a state id or

--filing a marriage license (some states require this)

Not valid for work? Oh but it is.... you need it (or an ITIN) in order to have income tax withheld from your pay (when you get a job), and to file taxes. Some banks "require" it to open an account (though this has been debunked on VJ in other threads... a SSN is NOT required for a new account, nor to add a person to an existing account). Pretty much any credit check process requires it (though I'm sure it's about as "required" as the bank thing, for the same reasons).

I've never tried to buy a house without one, but I suspect doing so would be a major PITA. Not something I'd want to try.

Timeline

useful for other things, like

--getting yer name on a lease or

--getting a usa bank account or

--getting a state id or

--filing a marriage license (some states require this)

This is very helpful, thank you very much for the reply.:)

AOS

04/04/2014 Biometrics

06/05/2014 NPIWC

Timeline

Not valid for work? Oh but it is.... you need it (or an ITIN) in order to have income tax withheld from your pay (when you get a job), and to file taxes. Some banks "require" it to open an account (though this has been debunked on VJ in other threads... a SSN is NOT required for a new account, nor to add a person to an existing account). Pretty much any credit check process requires it (though I'm sure it's about as "required" as the bank thing, for the same reasons).

I've never tried to buy a house without one, but I suspect doing so would be a major PITA. Not something I'd want to try.

What I mean with "not valid for work" is I can't use it yet to apply for work since K1 visa holder needs to get EAD first or Green Card before we are allowed to work, correct me if I'm wrong though. Right now since I don't have GC yet, I guess I can't use SSN to apply for work, It'll be illegal right?

AOS

04/04/2014 Biometrics

06/05/2014 NPIWC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.