Darnell

SSN Howto

146 posts in this topic

BLUF, it doesn't matter. You have the number, not much need for the card. You're just gonna go back soon and re-apply for a card in her married name.

As Darnell is alluding, my wife's card didn't end up in our mailbox, it got returned to the SSA. Caused us some heartburn and delayed us getting the card a coupla months.

At Brother D's veiled request, here's my experience of yesterday:

SSN was all good and shorter than the usual 2 weeks you suggest (I guess thanks to the automation of the I-94 and therefore entry into SAVE, maybe?). But there was one issue. Where CBP "messed up" (in the words of the SSA staffer), regarding given names (e.g. first and middle combined into first) she managed to override it and separate them for the purposes of my SSN. Not sure how, but clearly this staffer was in the know. If she couldn't do that she said I could modify it after I got the card. I went to the Warwick, RI office.

Edited by Wheatley

"What's yours is mine!"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

That's Great, Wheatley ! For more fun, get back there today or tomorrow, and

either get the number

or

learn of other problems.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 10 months later...
Timeline

*bump* - this is a personal bump, to remind me to update the K-1 section, add POE SAVE db verification, and write more about name cards for USPS.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 weeks later...

I recently visited my local Social Security Admin office to apply for a Social Security card for my Fiance who entered the United States on a K-1. They told us that we had to be married in order for her to apply for a card and that we had to present a Marriage Certificate. I gave them her passport and the I-94 and it has been 15 days since her POE. I'm unsure of what to do at this point as the supervisor there said the same thing. Any help would be really appreciated.

I-129F Petition
Service Center: Texas Service Center
I-129F Sent: 3/17/14
I-129F NOA1: 3/24/14
Alien Registration Number Changed: 3/25/14
I-129F NOA2: 8/25/14
Sent to NVC: 8/28/14
NVC Received: 9/8/14
Case # Assigned: 9/9/14
Left NVC: 9/11/14
Consulate Received: 9/16/14
Packet 3 Received (Instructions/Checklist): 9/19/14
Packet 3 Completed: 9/23/14
Medical Scheduled: 10/15/14
Packet 4 Received (Appointment Date): 10/2/14
Interview Date (Helsinki Consulate): 10/27/14
Interview Result: APPROVED!
Visa Received: 10/31/14
POE/Baltimore (BWI): 12/9/14
Married: 1/12/15

Adjustment of Status I-485
Service Center: National Benefits Center
I-485 Sent: 1/24/15
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 1/27/15
Check Cashed by USCIS: 2/2/15
NOA 1: 1/30/15
Biometrics Appointment: 3/13/15
Biometrics Completed (USCIS Baltimore) 3/13/15
Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15
Case Transferred to Kansas City Missouri Field Office: 1/26/16
RFE Received Wanting a New Vaccination Supplement: 2/4/16
Appointment Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/15/16
Appointment Cancelled due to Weather Conditions: 2/15/16
Appointment Re-Scheduled with Civil Surgeon: 2/16/16
Civil Surgeon Completed I-693 Vaccination Supplement Needed: 2/16/16
RFE Response Sent to Kansas City Field Office via USPS: 2/16/16
Delivered to USCIS Field Office by USPS: 2/19/16
Signed Return Receipt Receipt in Mail from USCIS: 2/22/16
I-485 Notification Application APPROVED - No Interview: 2/23/16
NOA 2 Approval Notice Received Through Mail: 2/27/16
Green Card Sent Through Mail Notification: 2/26/16
Received Card in Mail: 3/2/16

Employment Authorization I-765
I-765 Sent: 1/24/15
EAD Approved: 3/30/15
Received Card in Mail: 4/8/15
---------------------------------------------
Sent Renewal I-765 to Chicago Lockbox: 1/30/16
Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2/3/16
NOA 1: 2/8/16
Biometrics Appointment: 3/2/16
No need to get them done due to getting Green Card

Removal of Conditions on Residence I-751
Service Center: Vermont Service Center
I-751 Sent: 1/16/18
Delivered to Center: 1/19/18
 NOA 1: 1/24/18
Case Approved: 4/2/19
GC Received in Mail: 4/15/19

Timeline

Study here : http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Print out the RM 10211.530 referenced there, go back, train the supervisor.

Or go to another SSA office.

Darnell I wanted to update you on following your suggestion of printing out what you told me. I went back this morning and had such an intense time with the clerk with explaining and showing them the form of there own rules and they continued telling me that she HAS to be married before they will accept the application as if something had happened by now and the time the I-94 expires (us not getting married etc.) then it void the social security card. SO after quite a bit of arguing and her giving all of our documents back to us.... I asked to talk to her supervisor and he then brought us back into a private room since I was apparently beginning to make a scene..... he said that the document RM 10211.530 is true, however they recently changed the law 90 days ago and it has not yet reflected on the SSA website. He then stated that he was going to just put us in the system and let DHS make the decision whether or not she is issued one or not. The lady then told me she could that she was in the SAVE system, but her first and middle name (since she has two first names and a middle name) were all put together as all her first name so it could not be verified through the system, however she made a photocopy of all of our documents, passport and such and said that the application was submitted and all of our documents would be sent over for DHS to verify and will take up to 4 weeks to hear back something as they need to verify it. Now that being said, yes finally we got them to send the application but it is now pending verification because of the name. This was not our fault the clerk said and they said sometimes they go through and sometimes they don't and that DHS tends to scrunch the names together if you have more than one first name etc. So now all we do is wait apparently to find out DHS decision. What do you think about all of this Darnell?

I-129F Petition

Letter from DHS Advising of Potentially no Interview Required for our Case: 6/15/15

-Another Update- I also just called my local CBP Office with the link you had in your original post and the officer told me they have nothing to do with the SAVE system and how it is inputed and that the I-94 is all they deal with and if all the information is correct on there, then it should be fine and that I would have to call USCIS as the SAVE system is not there's. He also asked me if I was married yet, and if I wasn't that she is not eligible for a SSN yet. Why all of these conflicting stories? :/ If she is denied a social security card this time since it's already submitted, does that mean she won't be eligible to apply again after we are married? This entire process is crazy as there is nothing but conflicting answers

I-129F Petition

Timeline

you got a stoner on the phone, or one improperly trained. NO WHERE in my instructions do I suggest using a telephone with CBP - it is actually a bad thing to attempt (as you just learned).

You were given wrong information over the telephone, and it is blatantly wrong.

Timeline

Darnell I wanted to update you on following your suggestion of printing out what you told me. I went back this morning and had such an intense time with the clerk with explaining and showing them the form of there own rules and they continued telling me that she HAS to be married before they will accept the application as if something had happened by now and the time the I-94 expires (us not getting married etc.) then it void the social security card. SO after quite a bit of arguing and her giving all of our documents back to us.... I asked to talk to her supervisor and he then brought us back into a private room since I was apparently beginning to make a scene..... he said that the document RM 10211.530 is true, however they recently changed the law 90 days ago and it has not yet reflected on the SSA website. He then stated that he was going to just put us in the system and let DHS make the decision whether or not she is issued one or not. The lady then told me she could that she was in the SAVE system, but her first and middle name (since she has two first names and a middle name) were all put together as all her first name so it could not be verified through the system, however she made a photocopy of all of our documents, passport and such and said that the application was submitted and all of our documents would be sent over for DHS to verify and will take up to 4 weeks to hear back something as they need to verify it. Now that being said, yes finally we got them to send the application but it is now pending verification because of the name. This was not our fault the clerk said and they said sometimes they go through and sometimes they don't and that DHS tends to scrunch the names together if you have more than one first name etc. So now all we do is wait apparently to find out DHS decision. What do you think about all of this Darnell?

Mostly it's a round of BS from 2 SSA employees - but good on ya for going in and trying to get it sorted.

K-1 visa holders are allowed a SSN, there's no law on the books preventing it.

Your fiance has a problem with the name stored in SAVE database - the supervisor looked her up via A# and found the discrepancy. Now must go to CBP to get it fixed, wait a week, then back to SSA to apply again. If you read the stuff in my topic - you were to withdraw the SSA application and beat feet to a CBP office quickly.

DHS verification is the 'kiss of death' - designed to waste time - precious time that you two not have, as she loses the right to apply on day 77 past POE date. Must wait until much later to apply again - either EAD or Green Card in hand.

So, for now - I suggest 2 things:

1. go into CBP office (drive, use a car) and fix the name then

2. get into a different SSA office and apply for SSN

3. there's a hotline # to call for SSA, can report errors done at a local office - suggest you call in and report this stuff - you got names at that SSA office, right?

I actually got my SAVE fixed at the dept of revenue in Colorado (the DMV is part of the Department of Revenue.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

ya, but CBP offices can fix SAVE db records - must to go in person.

I called CBP again and spoke to the Duty Officer and he told me that they only deal with errors pertaining to the I-94 now since it is electronic (he also checked with his supervisor and said the same thing). He gave me a number to technical support at SAVE http://www.uscis.gov/save/contact-saveand the woman on the phone was very familiar with what I told her happened as incorrect name entry calls she gets all the time, she took all of the information and said she would submit it to the policy department and I should hear back from them shortly and gave me a reference number. So I'm really hoping that this will correct the name issue as she took all of what I said down before submitting it. I would imagine if it is changed before the SSN application arrives or at least they will know about it there should be no further issues, or we can only hope :/

Edited by Lenny&Sanna
I-129F Petition

Timeline

ok - that's genuinely new - thanks for sharing that info !

I hate POE because of data entry errors with the back-room data entry staff - there is no oversight there.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

ok - that's genuinely new - thanks for sharing that info !

I hate POE because of data entry errors with the back-room data entry staff - there is no oversight there.

Agree!! :thumbs: The CBP back-room slugs were the flies in our ointment at my family's POE. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.