DLodi

I-751 Interview Scheduled (Wife not here)

47 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm in need of advice & input regarding my situation. I came to the U.S. through marriage. And I received a 2 year Conditional Green Card. In February 2012, I filed the I-751 form to remove conditions, then around August (I believe) I received an RFE letter. I sent the information requested again, with additional information, like our pictures, (marriage, and other activities).

However, I received a letter in late November, stating that my case has been moved to the local office in Colorado for adjudication, and that I will receive another letter when a date is available for an interview.

The situation is this that me & my wife are both university students, and we both were planning to go abroad for the study abroad program. However, since I still havn't received my new green card. I couldnt go abroad with her, but she went alone, because she got the job relating to her degree and she had to go, because we were planning this trip for months. So she is not here in the U.S. right now, and will probably be abroad 'til the end of the semester (May) and might stay longer, as she plans to do a semester abroad for her degree. And I was planning to go with her but couldnt, so now I plan to join her there for the Fall semester 2013.

Now, I'm a little concerned because she is not here with me to go to the interview. However, my parents in law said that they will go with me, and I will also take affidavits from people who know us & about our marriage. I have plenty of pictures from our marriage, Thanksgiving, our weekend outings.

Also the letter I got, didn't say that we both have to appear. It just addressed me, that I have to come for the interview when the date is available and bring supporting documents. As mentioned earlier, I plan to take my parents in law with me, because I read on the USCIS website that I can take 'Reputable Individuals' for support, and all they need to do is write a letter stating that I have requested them to come with me to the interview.

I have all the originals of our lease agreements, and some joint bills and other documents. I have the receipt of the ticket that she bought for her flight, and She will email me her job/internship application that she is doing abroad.

We've been married for 4 years now and have been in the U.S. together for almost 3 years.

So my question is that should I be really that concerned, and should I take my father in law there, or just go alone. Because I do not want to over-prepare and make the officer think that I'm trying to hard.

To be honest, I shouldnt be worried about anything cause my marriage genuine. We got married in Pakistan. and had a big wedding party and other smaller parties, as the culture goes. She came to Pakistan twice, first to get married then second time stayed there with me for 6 months, and we even went together to the First interview at the U.S. embassy in pakistan. She was there with me. I also have her old passport, which was cancelled, when she changed her last and took mine. I will take that to the interview as well, because it has her Pakistani visa, which she got on her first trip to Pakistan, when we got married there.

One more thing is that our utlity bills have been mostly seperate. Meaning she signed up for some and I signed up for some, we really didn't think that deep about it that our bills should be joint. However, we do have a couple of bills that are joint.

Also, we do not have a car anymore, it was dying, so we sold it to finance her trip abroad.

We do have joint bank accounts for the past 3 years, joint leases. We are not rich, as you might expect of students. We've lived on a budget for the past 3 years.

Ok, I'll stop rambling. Please advice.

Edited by DLodi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It is my understanding that if you filed I-751 jointly then your wife NEEDS to attend the ROC interview with you to prove your marriage is genuine by answering questions.

If you have an interview, have her fly back to the US and join you for the interview. Her presence at the interview will go a long way to prove the marriage is legit. Bring the tickets and all that to the interview to show that she had to leave her studies and travel to the US just for the interview. To me that will cover the other items you are lacking. Surely she can take a couple of days off to travel for such an important part of your lives. I rrealize this is not cheap to do, but think about what the cost will be if you have to redo a spousal visa.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

It is my understanding that if you filed I-751 jointly then your wife NEEDS to attend the ROC interview with you to prove your marriage is genuine by answering questions.

Hi,

Yes we filed jointly, but we weren't expecting an interview, and unfortunately, our study plans were going on for a while. As I mentioned we both are university students, and we were planning this trip for a while now. I've already faced a set back by not being able to go with her, and so now I have to push my study abroad plan for Fall 2013. She had to go because she had already been hired on over there, and it was a tough decision. My father in law will go with me as well. Also, the letter I received for the interview just says, I have to appear for the interview. Not sure, if the second letter will say the same or not.

Timeline

Hi,

Yes we filed jointly, but we weren't expecting an interview, and unfortunately, our study plans were going on for a while. As I mentioned we both are university students, and we were planning this trip for a while now. I've already faced a set back by not being able to go with her, and so now I have to push my study abroad plan for Fall 2013. She had to go because she had already been hired on over there, and it was a tough decision. My father in law will go with me as well. Also, the letter I received for the interview just says, I have to appear for the interview. Not sure, if the second letter will say the same or not.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/336417-going-to-interview-without-my-wife-usc/page__view__findpost__p__4978884

Your WIFE needs to attend. She will need to fly back to attend the interview. You will not be approved without her present. Your FIL will not be permitted in to the interview.

The letter doesn't spell out that she needs to attend but you're not going to prove your relationship without her there.

Additionally, studying overseas may indicate the them that you're abandoning your residency here.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Ok, so let me add. That I begged her not to go, because of the interview. However, she is a very very stubborn person and she is bi-polar. So we were having major arguments about this before she left, and she didn't listen to me. She didn't listen to her parents either. I have gone through a lot in the past 4 years because of her condition. I must add that i've gone through a lot of physical abuse by her because of her condition. I love her even then because I know she is not a bad person, just a sick. I have documents regarding her condition.

After reading your posts here, I feel very sick right now. Because She & me, we both are Ex-Muslims. We both left Islam in April 2012 and everyone in pakistan, friends, family & neighbours know about my apostasy. I do not have danger from my family & friends, but I'm afraid of the people who used to know me there, because I used to know some deeply religious people over there. Many people there are upset about me leaving my religion. I'm afraid to even visit there.

I have nothing to hide, and now I feel very scared. I do not want to be persecuted there.

Everything is genuine, my marriage is real. I just wish she hadn't gone there, but no one can convince her. Because of her condition she gets out of control and has gotten into trouble in the past casue of her rage.

I suppose I should explain all of this to the officer and since my father in law will go there, he an explain the same, as they hve experienced her condition for years.

Timeline

I suppose I should explain all of this to the officer and since my father in law will go there, he an explain the same, as they hve experienced her condition for years.

Do not wait to explain this at the interview. Make an INFOPASS and ask the officer there what they think. What else can be done aside from her attending.

If you wife does not attend they can deny you right there, explaining won't help. Your only other choice is to divorce her and file based on a waiver.

I suggest you speak to her wife and ask her to come back for the interview.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Do not wait to explain this at the interview. Make an INFOPASS and ask the officer there what they think. What else can be done aside from her attending.

If you wife does not attend they can deny you right there, explaining won't help. Your only other choice is to divorce her and file based on a waiver.

I suggest you speak to her wife and ask her to come back for the interview.

I do not wish to divorce my wife. She is my wife, I love her alot. I am already in a lot of stress because I don't want her to be alone in another country. Also my parents in law will be going to the interview as reputable people. However, I am making an INFOPASS right now as you suggested.

Also, I read on this forum sometime ago about a lady with a similar situation, in which her husband & her had issues and he didn't appear for the interview. At the interview she explained the entire situation and that they both are trying to work out their marriage issues. She stated she go approved.

Also, not sure if I mentioned earlier, I called the USCIS office and told the lady about this situation and she put me on hold and then came back and said that I should explain this to the officer at the interview.

Timeline

I do not wish to divorce my wife. She is my wife, I love her alot. I am already in a lot of stress because I don't want her to be alone in another country. Also my parents in law will be going to the interview as reputable people. However, I am making an INFOPASS right now as you suggested.

Also, I read on this forum sometime ago about a lady with a similar situation, in which her husband & her had issues and he didn't appear for the interview. At the interview she explained the entire situation and that they both are trying to work out their marriage issues. She stated she go approved.

Also, not sure if I mentioned earlier, I called the USCIS office and told the lady about this situation and she put me on hold and then came back and said that I should explain this to the officer at the interview.

Dont trust the 1-800 number. they have led many people astray. Wait until you've spoken with the officer at the infopass, then you will know how to proceed.

Dont trust the 1-800 number. they have led many people astray. Wait until you've spoken with the officer at the infopass, then you will know how to proceed.

Thank you, I will make the INFOPASS and go for the appointment. I'm just really upset right now being in an unnecessary situation because of her.

Thank you for your advice. I greatly appreciate it.

Dear all,

I'm in a bit of a situation. I really seek your sincere advice.

I came to the U.S. through marriage. Me & my wife got married in my native Pakistan. We both are university students. We filed a joint petition in Feb 2012 to remove the conditions on the card. Then I got a RFE, and then a letter telling me that an interview will be scheduled to adjudicate my case. However, my wife was planning to go abroad for the past few months, because she found a job/internship in Egypt pertaining to her degree. I was planning to go with her as well. However, since I didn't receive my card yet, I couldn't go. However she has left. I begged her not to go, but she didn't listen. Her issue is that she is bi-polar & is a sociopath of some sort. She has a hard time empathizing with others. Her parents insisted she stay here, but she still went because she had already decided to go. Now, she probably won't be going to the interview with me. However, as per the USCIS website, I will take my parents in law as 'reputable persons' for support.

In another thread that I had created earlier, someone suggested that I should make an INFOPASS and talk to a USCIS officer in person about my situation.

Now, I am very very very scared & stressed. Reason being, me & my wife are both Ex-Muslims. We left Islam in April 2012. And everyone in my native Paksitan knows about my apostasy. I am very concerned because I have received death threats from random muslims, because I debate on human rights violations in Muslim countries, and I am very critical of Islam. I am lucky to be in the U.S. during my apostasy, as this is the country that gives me the freedom to believe in anything or not to believe at all. Considering the situation in Pakistan right now, with the killings of Christians, accused blasphemers & minorities, I am very scared.

I had no idea that my straight forward situation would turn so bad. My marriage is genuine, and I have plenty of evidence to prove that.

Please advice. I'm dying here of stress. I have exams this week, and I am not able to study.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I would arrange for the InfoPass appointment now for a time shortly after my exams, then immerse myself in study. This will be good self-therapy for you, and good for your grades, too.

It took true courage for you to leave Islam. Have faith that the InfoPass officer will comprehend the significance of apostasy -- USCIS people are part of the Department of Homeland Security, which was created precisely because of the extreme actions of certain Muslims. Have faith.

Much, or all, of your fear is this:

F alse

E vidence

A ppearing

R eal

Take the above proactive steps, and have faith. Let us know.

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to Removing Conditions forum -- OP is at that stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to Removing Conditions forum -- OP is at that stage. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I would arrange for the InfoPass appointment now for a time shortly after my exams, then immerse myself in study. This will be good self-therapy for you, and good for your grades, too.

It took true courage for you to leave Islam. Have faith that the InfoPass officer will comprehend the significance of apostasy -- USCIS people are part of the Department of Homeland Security, which was created precisely because of the extreme actions of certain Muslims. Have faith.

Much, or all, of your fear is this:

F alse

E vidence

A ppearing

R eal

Take the above proactive steps, and have faith. Let us know.

Thank you Sir/Ma'am, for your encouragement and support. I am taking your advice into consideration. I have already made an INFOPASS for Friday, right after getting done with exams on Thursday. I will go there and speak to the officer and tell them everything.

I am literally scared out of my pants, due to the possible danger I could have on my life. I have already received death threats in the past few months from random muslims, because I criticize the inhumane rulings in Islam, and what Islamic fundamentalism is doing to the world. Just because I speak the truth. they cannot handle it and get rabid.

I have a bright future in the U.S. because I wish to use my knowledge of Islam, culture and language skills to fight terrorism. I have also met a former consul general of the U.S. emabassy of Pakistan, and he said to me I can be a valuable asset to the United States through the state dept. or other agencies.

I have so much at stake, my life, my future and my sanity.

I have been an emotional wreck lately, and sought help from the counseling dept. at my university because I had a nervous breakdown. Also, the legal dept. at the university gave me the contact of an Immigration lawyer here in town.

Should I contact her? Ofcourse she is not free, and to be honest I do not have the money to hire a lawyer. What do you suggest?

Also, I didn't understand what you meant by the acronym, F.E.A.R. I do not have any false information. I shouldnt be fearing anything because my case is genuine, my marriage is real. I have all the photographic evidence and other documents. I'm just in a situation because of the joint petition.

Edited by DLodi

Thank you Sir/Ma'am, for your encouragement and support. I am taking your advice into consideration. I have already made an INFOPASS for Friday, right after getting done with exams on Thursday. I will go there and speak to the officer and tell them everything.

I am literally scared out of my pants, due to the possible danger I could have on my life. I have already received death threats in the past few months from random muslims, because I criticize the inhumane rulings in Islam, and what Islamic fundamentalism is doing to the world. Just because I speak the truth. they cannot handle it and get rabid.

I have a bright future in the U.S. because I wish to use my knowledge of Islam, culture and language skills to fight terrorism. I have also met a former consul general of the U.S. emabassy of Pakistan, and he said to me I can be a valuable asset to the United States through the state dept. or other agencies.

I have so much at stake, my life, my future and my sanity.

I have been an emotional wreck lately, and sought help from the counseling dept. at my university because I had a nervous breakdown. Also, the legal dept. at the university gave me the contact of an Immigration lawyer here in town.

Should I contact her? Ofcourse she is not free, and to be honest I do not have the money to hire a lawyer. What do you suggest?

Also, I didn't understand what you meant by the acronym, F.E.A.R. I do not have any false information. I shouldnt be fearing anything because my case is genuine, my marriage is real. I have all the photographic evidence and other documents. I'm just in a situation because of the joint petition.

Bottom line, your wife HAS to be at the interview. Your application was filed as joint-filed, and the interview is for both of you.

Sometimes you have to make difficult decision. Which one more important I'm sure you already know and made up mind for.

By any means, she has to be at the interview...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.