usjohn1982

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am going through divorce now and it will be finalized in January 2013 but I've already met a lady in Africa that i want to marry and i told her i am coming in December( i already have my tickets) this year so that we can go to court to register our marriage.Now my problem is will be a problem if i file with my new marriage certificate with the USCIS since the date of my new marriage will be before my final divorce decree? Please someone help me

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

1. You will be in big trouble if your second marriage is before the divorce date from first wife.

2. Even if you have marriage after your divorce date.....

And also, if your marriage is very close to your divorce date, THIS IS A BIG RED FLAG.

You are going to have an up-hill battle to bring her in US. Good Luck.

Edited by Deep2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you marry her in December then your I-130 will not be approved because your were married to two people at the same time. Can you stay in Africa until you get the divorce finalized?

11/10/12 Married

11/12/12 I-130 Petition mailed from Brazil

11/16/12 NOA1 email

11/30/12 NOA1 Letter (mailed to Brazil)

01/09/13 NOA2 email and online update (56 days from NOA1)

01/23/13 NOA2 Letter arrived (mailed to Brazil)

01/22/13 Arrived at NVC

02/04/13 Assigned NVC numbers

02/04/13 Sent 3032 by email

02/07/13 Received 3032/864

02/07/13 Paid AOS/864

02/07/13 Mailed AOS/864

02/11/13 AOS/864 arrived

02/14/13 Emailed scanned copy of 3032

02/15/13 3032 Accepted

02/18/13 AOS/864 accepted

02/18/13 IV bill invoiced and paid

02/19/13 Mailed IV package

02/22/13 IV package arrived

03/04/13 Case Complete (1 month since NVC numbers assigned)

04/12/13 Interview

05/04/13 Received Passport with Visa

06/22/13 POE

If you marry her in December then your I-130 will not be approved because your were married to two people at the same time. Can you stay in Africa until you get the divorce finalized?

I just have 2 weeks of leave to the place thus why.

In this case what if she comes in here as a fiancee?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am going through divorce now and it will be finalized in January 2013 but I've already met a lady in Africa that i want to marry and i told her i am coming in December( i already have my tickets) this year so that we can go to court to register our marriage.Now my problem is will be a problem if i file with my new marriage certificate with the USCIS since the date of my new marriage will be before my final divorce decree? Please someone help me

You can NOT marry someone if you still are married, even if you are in the process of divorce. It's common sense!

You have to make sure what is your state waiting time after the divorce for you to be able to marry again. Anyways like other said, that you marry and petitioner somebody right away after your divorce, might be taken as red flag or at least be prepared to answer some questions.

1. You will be in big trouble if your second marriage is before the divorce date from first wife.

2. Even if you have marriage after your divorce date.....

And also, if your marriage is very close to your divorce date, THIS IS A BIG RED FLAG.

You are going to have an up-hill battle to bring her in US. Good Luck.

Thanks Deep2009!

Can you explain to me what you mean by "Even if you have marriage after your divorce date.....".Is there a waiting period before one can marry in temrms of USCIS

laws?

Timeline

I just have 2 weeks of leave to the place thus why.

In this case what if she comes in here as a fiancee?

If you petition her with the k1 visa (fiancee) you still have to wait some time (check your state laws for this) before you can petition somebody, I guess each state is different and has different waiting times for divorce and how soon you can marry again. If you proceed with the k1 visa FIRST get the divorce. Do not start the process if you are still married!

Good luck whichever path you choose.

Edited by Chris & Isa

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

LPRs cannot file for a fiancée. Only USC can file for a fiancée.

IT IS A CRIME TO MARRY ANOTHER WOMAN WHiLE ALREADY MARRIED - IT'S CALLED BIGAMY.. Your plan will create BIG problems for you.

If you got your green card through a marriage to US citizen, there is a five years prohibition on the LPR from divorcimg and bringing over a new spouse. There is an exception but you must prove your first marriage was bona fide. Read the I-130 instructions.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The crime is bigamy in the USA, married to two people at the same time and in most states it is a felony, having said that the chances of a CR-1 being approved after that are slim and none and Slim left town. Go meet her, get back and when your divorce is final you can apply for a K1 for her--about the same wait time as a CR-1. Don't risk doing something in a moment that will cost you a lifetime ---

You can NOT marry someone if you still are married, even if you are in the process of divorce. It's common sense!

You have to make sure what is your state waiting time after the divorce for you to be able to marry again. Anyways like other said, that you marry and petitioner somebody right away after your divorce, might be taken as red flag or at least be prepared to answer some questions.

What is i file for a fiancee visa for her after the divorce?

Timeline

What is i file for a fiancee visa for her after the divorce?

are you a US citizen because you posted on the resident forum, if you are a LPR, then you cannot file for a fiancee visa

The crime is bigamy in the USA, married to two people at the same time and in most states it is a felony, having said that the chances of a CR-1 being approved after that are slim and none and Slim left town. Go meet her, get back and when your divorce is final you can apply for a K1 for her--about the same wait time as a CR-1. Don't risk doing something in a moment that will cost you a lifetime ---

thanks for your advice

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

read your question and think

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Are you american or a green card holder?

First of all if you are a green card holder you can't bring her to USA with K1 visa.

If you are a Green card holder she can file for F2A , she has to wait outside of the USA at least 3 to 4 years until a visa number becomes available, but if you are american then she can file CR1 visa, it takes around 1 year to have the CR1 adjudicated and the visa issued.

You can't get married with someone before having your divorce FINALIZED.

It's not prohibited to get divorce and right away to get married with another woman, but do they think is ok? hell no.Good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.