JCUSN

Lawyer says to delete Facebook entirely...is that really necessary?

62 posts in this topic

Usually if you are from first world countries you don't have to care about your facebook stuff unless you have been plotting something totally illegal. If you are from a high fraud consulate facebook has led to denials, but so has privite emails.

How have private emails done this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My lawyer said that my wife and I should ENTIRELY delete Facebook. Not just deactivate our accounts or make them super-private, but entirely delete it. It seems our lawyer thinks the government will dig into our Facebook (even though they are deactivated and/or set to private), and use the information in our Facebook against us. We don't have anything incriminating in our Facebooks, however. Neither my wife, nor I, want to delete it entirely and lose all our connection to old friends. Do any of you really see this as necessary? We want to just make our profiles private, or deactivate our Facebook for a temporary period.

Thanks!

why? your lawyer is wrong, on th contrary you should print any conversation that you have. This is a good bonafide

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Timeline

Actually, your lawyer is right. Don't got as far as deleting your profile, but becareful what is said in it. Anything that contradicts what was said in the application, may verywell lead to your application being declined. you just can't give immigration and idea that deviates from the truth or you're busted. heck, I've even becareful in what is said here, specially when you have your case information on here.

It would a red flag is you too does not communicate thru skype or facebook. U print anything you talk about it. This is a good bonafide

Edited by evelyn1140

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Timeline

The evidence we had on Facebook, submitted after an interview refusal, got our eventual approval.

Logging in during the interview would have saved 1300 sheets of paper though, so that's another tree gone :bonk:

If only the CO had asked for the password :whistle:

let them read it .... :dance:

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

One smart Lawer, I totally agree, it’s always if you have nothing to hide. When are people realizing this is not the point of nothing to hide. Do you like it when you get stopped on the street and the police officer knows everything about you. People need to wake up, the government likes to know everything about you, this way they can use it against you. If someone tells you they have nothing to hide, watch out. Take for example if you have friends from a certain country, then the U.S. has military action with that country, don’t you think they will look on the face book and other social sites for people with contacts to that country. Wake up people.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It would a red flag is you too does not communicate thru skype or facebook. U print anything you talk about it. This is a good bonafide

Huh? The phone works really well too...

Anyway, I really don't think the lawyer is concerned about any lovey dovey conversations that are on there. I'd say he's either worried because they might have discussed intent prior to coming. Or, he's worried about who else they talk to. Facebook is a notorious avenue for adultery. Or, he's just a really overly cautious lawyer.

I know people bring up things that happened at other interviews, where facebook was accessed, etc. But this is an AOS case from a low fraud country. The interview will take place here. I find it unlikely that the IO will ever look at facebook, unless there's something unusual about this case.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Huh? The phone works really well too...

Anyway, I really don't think the lawyer is concerned about any lovey dovey conversations that are on there. I'd say he's either worried because they might have discussed intent prior to coming. Or, he's worried about who else they talk to. Facebook is a notorious avenue for adultery. Or, he's just a really overly cautious lawyer.

I know people bring up things that happened at other interviews, where facebook was accessed, etc. But this is an AOS case from a low fraud country. The interview will take place here. I find it unlikely that the IO will ever look at facebook, unless there's something unusual about this case.

I agree. I can't see it being asked. Not one of the AOS interview threads I've read have brought up any FB questions. On the other hand, if you DO delete your FB and then the IO asks to see your profile, I would think it would be mundo-suspicious to have to reply that your lawyer made you delete it.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Other Timeline

I just called Mark Zuckerberg and told him that you are considering to delete Facebook entirely, and he said you must be missing a few cups way up there. He has billions of dollars invested in Facebook and he is confident that you can't just delete it because your attorney has managed to escaped the insane asylum.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just called Mark Zuckerberg and told him that you are considering to delete Facebook entirely, and he said you must be missing a few cups way up there. He has billions of dollars invested in Facebook and he is confident that you can't just delete it because your attorney has managed to escaped the insane asylum.

Lol

CR-1 Visa

2012-07-07 : Sent I-130 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2012-07-10 : NOA1 case transferred to USCIS California Service Center

2012-08-30 : NOA2 Approved in 51 days

National Visa Center

2012-09-11 : NVC Received

2012-09-20 : Vaccines Injection (1st Dose of Influvac, Tdap-IPV, MMR, Havrix) at Saovabha

2012-09-20 : Received and Replied DS-3032 via e-mail / Received and Pay I-864 Fee online

2012-09-21 : Applied For Police Clearance Certificate

2012-09-25 : AOS Fee Status Shows PAID / Return AOS packet by USPS

2012-09-28 : AOS packet delivered at NVC

2012-09-28 : Receive IV Bill from e-mail / Pay IV Fee online

2012-10-05 : IV Fee Status Shows PAID / Recieved PCC / Return IV packet by DHL(Thailand)

2012-10-22 : Case Completed at NVC in 41 days

2012-10-24 : Medical Exam and Vaccines Injection (2nd dose of Td and MMR) at Bumrungrad Int'l Hospital

2012-11-02 : Interview date assigned / received P4 via e-mail

2012-11-21 : Received P4 hard copy

2012-11-29 : Applied J-1Visa Waiver

2012-12-12 : Interview at USEMBangkok

2012-03-14 : Sent J-1 waiver and passport

2013-03-21 : Visa Received

2013-03-25 : US Entry ALT

My Previous US Visas

Mar-Jun 2008: J-1(Work&Travel Exchange Student).

Jul-Nov 2008: F-1(UWF Student).

Jun-Jul 2009: B1/B2(Visitor).

May 2011-2012: J-1(Internship) {2HRR}

Nov 28, 2012-Mar 4, 2013: J-1 Visa Waiver

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is absolutely nothing to hide in our Facebooks. Actually, our lawyer has NEVER even seen our Facebook accounts. This is just something he recommends all his clients, he says. I thought it seemed a bit extreme.

Well, maybe he's had a bad experience in the past where someone had something harmful on facebook.

You have to use your best judgement. If you think whatever is on your facebook account would only help and not hurt you, then leave it alone. I seriously doubt USCIS is going to look at it anyway.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

One smart Lawer, I totally agree, it's always if you have nothing to hide. When are people realizing this is not the point of nothing to hide. Do you like it when you get stopped on the street and the police officer knows everything about you. People need to wake up, the government likes to know everything about you, this way they can use it against you. If someone tells you they have nothing to hide, watch out. Take for example if you have friends from a certain country, then the U.S. has military action with that country, don't you think they will look on the face book and other social sites for people with contacts to that country. Wake up people.

Prove it.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Wife's journey.
Day 01 - 07/25/2012 - Mailed AOS package (I-130,I-131, I-485,I-765) via UPS Next Day Air.
Day 02 - 07/26/2012 - Package delivered by UPS.
Day 10 - 08/03/2012 - Got 4 emails confirm AOS package had been received. Checks cashed.
Day 13 - 08/06/2012 - Receipt Numbers are track-able on USCIS website.
Day 18 - 08/11/2012 - Biometrics Notice received (Dated: 8/8, Appointment: 8/29)
Day 20 - 08/13/2012 - Walk-in biometrics done.
Day 24 - 08/17/2012 - Received 4 NOA letters.
Day 27 - 08/20/2012 - 2nd Biometrics Notice received. Same day walk-in biometrics done.
Day 41 - 09/03/2012 - Email and txt notification of interview.
Day 43 - 09/05/2012 - Interview Notice in the mail. This is GREAT!
Day 63 - 09/25/2012 - EAD txt notification. I-765 online status updated.
Day 69 - 10/01/2012 - EAD Mailed.
Day 71 - 10/03/2012 - Interview. I-130 approved. I-485 will be approved after police clearance received. / EAD received. Wrong name. Wrong country of birth.
... waiting for Police Reports from Vietnam and current city's police dept.
11/01/2012 - RFE Police reports sent.
11/06/2012 - I-485 Approved. Card production email received.
11/09/2012 - Email notification. Card picked up by USPS.
11/15/2012 - GC received. Correct name. Still wrong country of birth.

Remove condition:

10/22/2014 - I-751 notice receipt received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

There is absolutely nothing to hide in our Facebooks. Actually, our lawyer has NEVER even seen our Facebook accounts. This is just something he recommends all his clients, he says. I thought it seemed a bit extreme.

Some lawyers would probably also prepare you for a Stokes interview, or mention some questions that might or might not be asked at the interview. It's great if it has worked for his clients in the past and if he thinks of some potential issues that other lawyers wouldn't have thought of.

To me it's not the point if you have anything to hide or not. It matters that you're advised to delete accounts, just as if you were advised to stay off a radar that you were never on anyway.

The lawyer might have dealt with fishy cases before, or has a general AOS guide he uses with all clients.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

I don't know if this will apply to your case, but I was questioned at the border by CBP, and was denied entry to US 5 months ago.

CBP told me that they looked at my Facebook profile, my LinkedIn account, my Google account....and all that stuff...

there was nothing there, and that wasn't the reason I was denied, but they do use that nowadays...it is easy and convenient for them too...

anyway, do a simple Google search of your own name, and you'll get an idea of what might come up...remember that government officials probably have higher clearance, so they can dig even deeper...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.