Rosie D

Re-entering US with pending status?!

9 posts in this topic

I am a conditional permanent resident, (married to an american), about to apply for the conditions to be removed, currently waiting to hear back about the fee waiver I applied for. I am desperate to go home to England to see family for 4 weeks but I have no idea if I will be allowed back in at LAX without an updated status. Does anyone KNOW if having an expired permanent resident card makes a difference to my status, such that I would have problems re entering the country? Thanks so much...

* I should have applied 90days before the card expired, but I did not! *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I am a conditional permanent resident, (married to an american), about to apply for the conditions to be removed, currently waiting to hear back about the fee waiver I applied for. I am desperate to go home to England to see family for 4 weeks but I have no idea if I will be allowed back in at LAX without an updated status. Does anyone KNOW if having an expired permanent resident card makes a difference to my status, such that I would have problems re entering the country? Thanks so much...

you mean that your card is expired and you didn't apply to remove conditions? Then yes, you will certainly have problems.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If your green card expires while you are out of the US and you have no extenstion letter with you, yes, you will not be permitted back into the country. You MUST file your I-751 form and wait about a week or a week and half until you receive your NOA letter. This letter will inform you that your status has been extended for one year during processing. Then, you can travel out of the usa safely as long as you bring that letter and your expired green card with you. My husband and I are traveling to UK Dec 19th and his card expires Dec 23..so we studied this very carefully and have already gotten our NOA letter. Good Luck!

Just saw your card is already expired?? Umm..yeah you may be in trouble period..you should follow up with USCIS ASAP!!

Edited by smsgrl2009

Personal Journey

2009-01-09 : Met online

2009-08-20 : Wedding in Bangalore, India

2011-06-14 : Hubby finally makes the permanent move to USA

2011-07-20 : Two Pink Lines (Oops!)

2012-04-02 : Our daughter Lili is born!

NVC ~CR-1 Visa~ Journey

2010-02-01 : NVC case # assigned

2010-02-05 : DS-3032/AOS Bill Generated

2010-02-07 : DS-3032 e-mailed; AOS/I-864 Bill (paid online $70)

2010-02-12 : e-mailed DS-3032 accepted by NVC

2010-03-05 : Sent In Completed I-864

2010-03-15 : IV Fee bill generated, paid online $400

2010-06-17 : Sent In Completed DS-230 Packet (took forever to get PCC and BC)

2010-06-18 : DS-230 Signed for by NVC

2010-06-23 : AVR updates "The checklist letter response has been received. Wait 6-8 weeks and you will be notified.

2010-08-06 : Sign in Failed: Finally

2010-08-10 : AVR updates "The case was complete on August 9..."

2010-08-13 : NVC e-mailed an interview date for September 2 2010 9AM - per our request--rescheduled for Oct 4 2010

2010-09-23 : Medical scheduled

2010-10-04 : Interview Failed - Required additional documetation because of sponser job change

2010-10-10 : Submitted additional paperwork to VFS in Bangalore

2010-10-21 : Received notice that Visa is APPROVED!!!

2010-10-24 : Visa in hand

2010-12-23 : US entry

2011-02-14 : Received Green Card

2011-02-15 : Welcome letter sent

USCIS ~Removal of Conditions~ Journey

2012-09-30 : I-751 package sent via USPS (Vermont)

2012-10-05 : Check Cashed

2012-10-09 : Received NOA Letter dated 10-03-2012

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K3 Process & Procedures to Removing Conditions on Residency Discussion, topic is about the ROC process, not the (obsolete) K3 process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If your green card expires while you are out of the US and you have no extenstion letter with you, yes, you will not be permitted back into the country. You MUST file your I-751 form and wait about a week or a week and half until you receive your NOA letter. This letter will inform you that your status has been extended for one year during processing. Then, you can travel out of the usa safely as long as you bring that letter and your expired green card with you. My husband and I are traveling to UK Dec 19th and his card expires Dec 23..so we studied this very carefully and have already gotten our NOA letter. Good Luck!

Just saw your card is already expired?? Umm..yeah you may be in trouble period..you should follow up with USCIS ASAP!!

:thumbs:

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I hope you are writing this from the US not from England. Anyways, once you send you I751 file, they will send you a letter to extend your card for a year. You can travel and work with that letter and expired Green card. Than you will recieve your biometrics after a week or the same week depends. I advise you not to travel until you do your biometrics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes. You are no longer a permanent resident of the United States. Failure to renew your 2 year card by the deadline results in the revocation of your status. Your card expired, and you have not applied for ROC. You presently have NO STATUS in the US. You are not "pending status". You have no status.

If you had a 10 year card it would be different, but as you have/had a 2 year card there were rules you needed to follow.

You should NOT leave the US until you have your new GC. You can travel with the NOA1 (as long as it has the line about extending your status).. but you don't even have that yet... and to be honest give your LPR status has most likely been revoked (until you receive the notice giving you 30 days to leave you still stand a chance) I wouldn't risk it and would wait until you get the GC.. IF you do. You really are supposed to have filed I-751 TOGETHER with the fee waiver...

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Other Timeline

There is no need to apply for RoC 90 days before the residency and the Green Card expires. What needs to be done is to apply before the Green Card expires, even if it's just one or two days before that happens.

If you have done that, you'll receive the NOA1 in your mailbox about 10 to 14 days before you mailed off your I-751. The NOA1 extends your Green Card for another year. It's like a new registration sticker on your car's license plate. With this extension letter you can travel freely and return. However, keep in mind that there's a biometric appointment coming up, so I'd suggest no to leave before you have done your biometrics. Most centers allow you to do this as a walk-in the moment you have the letter in hand.

If you totally failed to file for RoC, then you are no longer a Green Card holder. It's possible to file a few days late if you have a good reason for this and enclose a letter to the director with your RoC package, but if that doesn't work you'd have to start over with a new AoS petition eventually. If you left the U.S. without the extension letter, you'd not be allowed to return. Your husband would have to petition for you with a new I-130 and that would keep you in the Kingdom for at least 8 months.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Ok I echo what everyone else said!

I wonder though, you let your status expire and when you applied late, you still asked for a fee waiver, yet you are on here eager to travel to visit family in England. So you cant pay to get your card processed despite the urgency, but can get a plane ticket? :whistle::thumbs:

I-751

In process (Aug 2012---present)

I-130 (for hubby)

12/15/09*****I-130 sent (Priority to Chicago)

12/17/09*****I-130 delivered

12/22/09*****I-130 NOA1 (txt and email)

problems with payment 1st time due to bank funds, so payment not processed till 2nd attempt 12/28/09

3/10/10......touch!

3/16/10******NOA 2 (by mail dated 3/10) THANK YOU GOD!!!

NVC

03/16/10****Called AVR, case # not assigned. Gave operator our email addresses

03/18/10****AOS Invoice and DS 3032 received

03/18/10****AOS paid and DS 3032 email sent

03-23-2010 : AOS Shows PAID and DS 3032 email receipt

03-24-2010 : IV Bill PAID

03-31-2010 : AOS and Documents Sent

03-xx-2010 : IV Bill Shows PAID/ Receive IV Bill

03-31-2010 : DS-230 and Documents Sent

Unknown date : Log-In Failed

04-31-2010: AVR sent for error on 864

05-01-2010: 864 returned to NVC with correction

Unknown date : Case Completed at NVC

05-24-2010 : Interview Date Assigned

07-13-2010 : Interview

Missing a doc at the interview, had to mail it from US. They received it 7/15 (approval)

07-20-2010: Passport/visa and docs received in mail by hubby!!

08-10-2010: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.