kintu

USCIS should regulate the medical exam costs not the civil surgeons

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You have the whole 'unfair trade practice' thing exactly backwards. It would be illegal, collusion they call it, if the CS's all got together and decided how much to charge. This being a capitalistic economy, the 'free market' is supposed to help set the price. If you can 'buy' this service for less it is assumed you will go to the cheapest provider. As to how far you have to travel, consider the plight of some immigrants that must have their exams done before getting their first visa. In Russia the only clinics that do the exam are in Moscow! Some people have to travel several days by train to get this exam done!

I was hoping someone would point this out. Panel physicians can only charge one rate, dictated by the consulates. If USCIS were to start telling CS's what they could charge, they may become less flexible with what they allow you to get done elsewhere, like vaccinations and tests. Next thing you know, USCIS will be telling lawyers how much they can charge to handle an AOS from a B2 visa.

Hello Fellows, this is my first post here on VJ.com,i am gaining lot of invaluable knowledge via this amazing place.i have a question for all the senior members and people who are on the same boat as myself. i am a beneficiary married to a USC and currently on a B1/B2 (in status),we did the concurrent filing of AOS a few days back and our PACKET was received at chicago on saturday AUG 25,2012 . my question is that i have not undergone any medical exam as yet and neither do i have any past immunization record.i have done a little bit of research , called a few authorized civil surgeons near my area(i live in a rural part of IL ),the nearest three surgeons are 2 hours from me and are asking different fee from $220 to $370.seriously ? ? now for the required immunization i have been looking the CDC web but not been able to know that what particular shots that i want(28 years).also , is it appropriate/cost effective,if i decide to go the local county health clinic to get all the required shots and than presenting the civil surgeon with my updated immunization record ? lastly , i would strongly condemn this unfair trade practice being conducted on civil surgeons part.they all are charging different amount of money for the Full medical exam,i have a masters in engineering and currently unemployed(waiting for my EAD.i cannot afford all this.i came across this other forum in which people were crying for being charged as much as $850/head for a full medical exam. USCIS must regulate the fee for these money mongers so they cannot exploit and take advantage of ever vulnerable immigrants.i work hard for my money and would reprobate this practice.Also, i would appreciate some information from the fellow members regarding

1) if its ok if i send USCIS my medical report after we have petitioned for the AOS ?

2) what exact immunization shots do i require(for a Male/28 with no past medical record) ?

3) if anyone have rather went to the local health dept to get the shots?is it a good idea ? what they charge (i have no insurance)

4) your comments about these so called civil surgeons working as a gang ?

i hope you guys will take some interest in my post and give/share your invaluable comments/experiences. good luck and god bless

[/quote\

I offer the following experience based on my gals and my experience regarding her AOS and the I-693(?), medical exam.

First, before considering anyone’s opinion, including my opinion, senior member or not, please do your research. I would encourage you to read my comments on my profile regarding the value of member comments/opinions on VJ.

Regarding your questions:

1) if its ok if i send USCIS my medical report after we have petitioned for the AOS ?

It may be ok, but it will delay processing of your AOS petition. Also, you risk your petition being returned to you as “incomplete” as required by the USCIS.

2) what exact immunization shots do i require(for a Male/28 with no past medical record) ?

Immunizations, vaccinations, updates, are age specific. For example, my gal was 31 in 2010 and she was only required the MMR shots and the, for lack of the correct name, tetanus shot.

3) if anyone have rather went to the local health dept to get the shots?is it a good idea ? what they charge (i have no insurance).

Yes, in my educated opinion, it would be in your best interest to go to the local county health department and get any shots, vaccinations you are going to need – much cheaper than having the USCIS CS do it. My gal’s bill was less than $125USD.

Finally, your cost estimate of medical exam, on average, of less than $500 is not bad. And, I would bet, that any needed shots are not included in this quoted cost. Keep in mind, you are no longer in India and the costs are indicative of this. The last time I went to the dr. the costs were in excess of $300 just for the office visit.

Also, it is my educated opinion based on my knowledge and personal experience that most county health departments in the USA that are state certified, can perform the USCIS medical exam. However, you are still going to need a USCIS CS signature on the I-693(?) medical exams. And, for that, you will have to pay for it.

Should you need any additional information and I can provide it, please send me a private message.

Regards,

Sid

Edited by carton025

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Im not sure that having the USCIS regulate the medical exam costs would such a good idea. At the momoent, this government cares nothing of us. We are already paying ridiculous fees only for them to read our forms, while they are allowing illegal immigrants to stay here on OUR dime. I would much rather pay $350 or a little more, than have to pay a probable $1000 or more. Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security is being investigated for using OUR money, that we've paid them with, to have parties, go gambling, hire strippers, etc.... If you dont believe me, look it up...its been plastered in the news for the last few weeks...just yesterday an official of the DHS resigned because she was caught using OUR money for her own "sexual escapades"....If the USCIS were in control of the medical exam costs, it would, without a doubt, be outrageously expensive. So on this subject, be careful what you wish for.

cost me around $330 - $150 to make the appointment, $65 for a vaccination I missed, and the rest for a chest xray because my TB skin test was positive :(

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Timeline

Im not sure that having the USCIS regulate the medical exam costs would such a good idea. At the momoent, this government cares nothing of us. We are already paying ridiculous fees only for them to read our forms, while they are allowing illegal immigrants to stay here on OUR dime. I would much rather pay $350 or a little more, than have to pay a probable $1000 or more. Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security is being investigated for using OUR money, that we've paid them with, to have parties, go gambling, hire strippers, etc.... If you dont believe me, look it up...its been plastered in the news for the last few weeks...just yesterday an official of the DHS resigned because she was caught using OUR money for her own "sexual escapades"....If the USCIS were in control of the medical exam costs, it would, without a doubt, be outrageously expensive. So on this subject, be careful what you wish for.

I disagree and not a valid point.

Visa fees did go down as an example.

The only issue there might be is that greedy Doctors may opt out of participation if the cost is too low.

Hello Fellows, this is my first post here on VJ.com,i am gaining lot of invaluable knowledge via this amazing place.i have a question for all the senior members and people who are on the same boat as myself. i am a beneficiary married to a USC and currently on a B1/B2 (in status),we did the concurrent filing of AOS a few days back and our PACKET was received at chicago on saturday AUG 25,2012 . my question is that i have not undergone any medical exam as yet and neither do i have any past immunization record.i have done a little bit of research , called a few authorized civil surgeons near my area(i live in a rural part of IL ),the nearest three surgeons are 2 hours from me and are asking different fee from $220 to $370.seriously ? ? now for the required immunization i have been looking the CDC web but not been able to know that what particular shots that i want(28 years).also , is it appropriate/cost effective,if i decide to go the local county health clinic to get all the required shots and than presenting the civil surgeon with my updated immunization record ? lastly , i would strongly condemn this unfair trade practice being conducted on civil surgeons part.they all are charging different amount of money for the Full medical exam,i have a masters in engineering and currently unemployed(waiting for my EAD.i cannot afford all this.i came across this other forum in which people were crying for being charged as much as $850/head for a full medical exam. USCIS must regulate the fee for these money mongers so they cannot exploit and take advantage of ever vulnerable immigrants.i work hard for my money and would reprobate this practice.Also, i would appreciate some information from the fellow members regarding

3) if anyone have rather went to the local health dept to get the shots?is it a good idea ? what they charge (i have no insurance)

i hope you guys will take some interest in my post and give/share your invaluable comments/experiences. good luck and god bless

For your Q2: the attached is from May 2011, you might want to check in case something changed (this is in the CDC site, if you search for the doc name, you'll find it easily. I wouldn't think it's changed, but is best to re-check). An alternative is a blood tither test, but that might be expensive.

FYI, For Q3, you can do the vaccines in any place, I'd check for what is the least cost, as long as a record is produced. Best places might low-cost medical centers or as you said, local health clinics. There might be a charge for the less common ones, but you might be able to get at least some for free or at nominal cost.

On Q4, yes, it seems to be highway robbery but USCIS is not in the business of regulating health care/practice, unfortunately. The range of prices is quite big; The lowest one I had seen is for a civil surgeon in Denver. We were going to be there in days prior to our wedding and I took the opportunity. I can't recall the exact name, but I got it from a discussion in this forum where many people posted surgeons form all over the country by state (I will look for the name if you believe you would be in the area). Perhaps would be a good idea to spend some time researching that here. It was a long thread but as I said, had tens of civil surgeons listed with address and phone number.

Immunization Schedule-All Ages.pdf

Most of us (posting here) have probably lived here most of our lives. Do most people around the rest of the world believe everything is fair here?? The "Rich" are in control of everything here. I'd call it "The land of the Rip Off" more than anything else comes to mind. Most people in the USA DO NOT have health care; finding a decent paying job is hard or impossible. My work "offers" family medical ins for only $550 per month, not includ all co-pays, things they don't even cover...blah blah blah.. House and Vehicle insurance are Mandatory...because the rich own the companies and got laws passed to make it so; No one in power is held accountable, those in office, because They are on the take also, kick back from the coporations they serve. I think only the French and the Russians really know how to put an end to these practices from their revolutions...that really seems to get the attention of the politicians, and the only thing.

Edited by John and Ann

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

where do you get your vaccines and blood test done ?

The blood test was with the civil surgeon as well, and I had already had all the vaccines they required from when I was a baby in Venezuela and the rest of them when I started middle school here in the US. However I think getting them in a low cost clinic will be a lot cheaper than with your CS.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I disagree and not a valid point.

Visa fees did go down as an example.

The only issue there might be is that greedy Doctors may opt out of participation if the cost is too low.

some visa fees went down....while other visa fees went up.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Exactly truegood.gifgood.gifgood.gif

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

Filing date: April 23, 2011

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date: May 16,2011

I-485 Approval Date:June 26 , 2011

I-485 Approved: Approved

Green Card received Date: August 04,2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Call around. The fee varies within a large range. We found one to do everything for under $300 and it was done in 3 days.

07/19/12 - Married

Adjustment of Status from F-1 Student Visa: Day 00 - 07/20/12 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

Day 03 - 07/23/12 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Chicago - signed for by D Colonna

Day 11 - 08/03/12 - Acceptance confirmation texts and emails

Day 14 - 08/06/12 - Checks cleared

Day 18 - 08/10/12 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 08/06/12 for appointment on 08/30/12)

Day 22 - 08/14/12 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there!)

Day 25 - 08/17/12 - Received NOAs

Day 36 - 08/28/12 - Notice via text of interview on 10/02/12

Day 38 - 08/30/12 - Received interview notice hard copy

Day 65 - 09/24/12 - Notice via text of I-131 approval

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Interview

Day 71 - 10/02/12 - Text messages of APPROVAL of I-130 and I-485 - Card in Production

Day 78 - 10/09/12 - Received Welcome Notice

Day 80 - 10/11/12 - Received Conditional Green Card

Removal of Conditions: Day 00 - 07/07/14 - Sent I-751

Day 03 - 07/10/14 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in California

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Check cleared

Day 07 - 07/14/14 - Received NOA (dated 07/10/14)

Day 14 - 07/21/14 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 07/17/14 for appointment on 08/01/14)

Day 18 - 07/25/14 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office (We were the only ones there...again!)

Day 38 - 08/14/14 - Text message of APPROVAL of 1-751 - Card in Production

Day 43 - 08/19/14 - Notice via text indicating card has been mailed

Day 44 - 08/20/14 - Notice via text with USPS tracking number

Day 46 - 08/22/14 - Received Permanent Green Card

Naturalization: Day 00 - 08/21/15 - Sent N-400

Day 03 - 08/24/15 - Confirmation from USPS that package was received in Arizona

Day 07 - 08/28/15 - Check cleared

Day 10 - 08/31/15 - Acceptance confirmation text and email

Day 14 - 09/04/15 - Received NOA (dated 08/28/15)

Day 24 - 09/14/15 - Received biometrics appointment notice (dated 09/05/15 for appointment on 09/21/15)

Day 28 - 09/18/15 - Completed biometrics via successful walk-in at Columbus, OH office

Day 32 - 09/22/15 - Notice via text and email indicating in line for testing and interview

Day 35 - 09/25/15 - Notice via text and email indicating interview is scheduled

Day 41 - 10/01/15 - Received interview appointment notice (dated 09/28/15 for appointment on 11/03/15)
Day 73 - 11/03/15 - Interview

Day 74 - 11/04/15 - Text message of APPROVAL of N-400 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Day 75 - 11/05/15 - Received Oath Ceremony appointment notice (dated 11/04/15 for appointment on 11/17/15)

Day 87 - 11/17/15 - Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi

I would suggest if you can do all the stuff ahead of time with a local doctor and get copies of all the papers for proof of what you did perhaps the USCIS doctor may not charge you so much. I did everything before going to the USCIS doctor and instead of costing me $500.00 it only cost me $100.00 but this was several years ago. Good luck with you immigration journey.

July 31st 2004 Married

Feb 13th 2006 AOS package sent

Reciept Feb 13th 2006

April 26th 2006 Biometrics

Interviewed May 3rd 2006 Denver Approved pending FBI Namecheck(AO extremly rude)

Long wait begins

August 2006 Inquiry on case....still pending

December 2006 Inquiry on case....still pending

Feb 16th 2007 Missed Grandmother's surprise 85th Birthday party in Australia.

April 2007 Inquiry on case....still pending

July 2007 Inquiry on case....still pending Informed they will not redo my biometrics till my FBI namecheck is back. Original AO retires.

Dec 26th 2007 Notice to appear for Biometrics

Jan 9th 2008 Biometrics

Jan 29th 2008 Missed telephone call from USCIS

Jan 30th 2008(my birthday) Returned phone call from USCIS AO (much nicer then original) personally called to confirm my mailing address an advise I am approved an will recieve 10yr card as I have been married more then 2yrs.

Feb 11th 2008 10yr greencard recieved in the mail with wrong info on card.

Feb 12th 2008 Start planning trip home to Australia

May 3rd 2008 Leave for Australia

May 5th 2008 Touch down in Australia 1st time since Dec 28th 1995 what a relief.

May 5th 2008 Suprise my grandmother with showing up at her door. Tears all around but well worth it.

May 25th 2008 Say Seeya Soon as I hate Goodbye...Come back to the US and start thinking about when We will wanna go home again.

I do understand your pain. It is a lot of money;however, I do not believe that USCIS can regulate thier fees. This is America. CAPITALISM rules. Good luck.

If you do not enclose your sealed I-693 medical examination in your initial AoS packet then you will receive an RFE for it.

If you do not send your I-693 in before the date specified on your RFE then your application will be denied.

REALESTATE BROKER & MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

12fa14f592.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i will appreciate answers from the couples who know/had been or going through the same ? senior members advice can help me a great deal.

it smells like you already filed the AOS packet without the medical bits.

expect an RFE for the medical , sometime around the 5 to 6 month mark.

so, you have some time for your husband to save some monies for the medical bits.

good luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.