kintu

USCIS should regulate the medical exam costs not the civil surgeons

70 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I was hoping someone would point this out. Panel physicians can only charge one rate, dictated by the consulates. If USCIS were to start telling CS's what they could charge, they may become less flexible with what they allow you to get done elsewhere, like vaccinations and tests. Next thing you know, USCIS will be telling lawyers how much they can charge to handle an AOS from a B2 visa.

JULIE ,

what is wrong with that if they regulate a fix price for the medical exam ? it should be done and they should be made to abide this so they cannot exploit the vulnerable.somebody said in my post that what if they form some union and tell the govt that they are going to charge what they wan't ? well that is exactly what the govt.'s job is to stop businessmen working as a gang especially in the health sector.that is just unethical.this is not why the United states is famous for and your notion that "what if the govt tell the lawyers to fix their charging fee". i would welcome that if that happens ever but LAW and medical practice are two different things.A lawyer with better reputation and track record will charge more which is pretty justified.you will be better paid if you are better than the bunch.whereas on the other hand. all the CS's have the same qualifications and perform the same service in which it does not matter who is better than the other.my views may differ from the lot here but a lot of them will agree. But this is exactly what the purpose of this forum. to express freely and to get united against the BAD. have a nice day and god bless

Edited by kintu

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

JULIE ,

what is wrong with that if they regulate a fix price for the medical exam ? it should be done and they should be made to abide this so they cannot exploit the vulnerable.somebody said in my post that what if they form some union and tell the govt that they are going to charge what they wan't ? well that is exactly what the govt.'s job is to stop businessmen working as a gang especially in the health sector.that is just unethical.this is not why the United states is famous for and your notion that "what if the govt tell the lawyers to fix their charging fee". i would welcome that if that happens ever but LAW and medical practice are two different things.A lawyer with better reputation and track record will charge more which is pretty justified.you will be better paid if you are better than the bunch.whereas on the other hand. all the CS's have the same qualifications and perform the same service in which it does not matter who is better than the other.my views may differ from the lot here but a lot of them will agree. But this is exactly what the purpose of this forum. to express freely and to get united against the BAD. have a nice day and god bless

What if they decided CS could charge $800?

Then all those people who could have paid $50, $100, 200... anything less than $800 would be upset with the rule.

The rule would work for some and be worse for some- The same as the system now.

Similarly, the cost of being a Dr is different state by state, wages are different, costs of renting the property to practice, the other fees the charge etc. It would not be fair to make a CS in DC charge the same as one in Alabama unless it was at a higher rate and if it was a higher rate that would not be fair to the residents in Alabama nor really the Dr in DC.

Hope I made sense :)

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

JULIE ,

Law and medical practice are indeed two different things, but why in the world should a better doctor not be able to charge more for their services, just like the better lawyer. All CS's have the same qualifications as a minimum, certainly some of them have qualifications that exceed the minimum, and I'm sure this correlates to the rates they charge. Doctors don't work for the government.

thanks newbie608 , can you recall what are the vaccination shots you got at your primary doc ? plus, did you undergo the TB skin test at the primary DOC too ? ?

I am a nursing student so I had to be fully immunized before I could do clinicals. I brought in my immunization record from my home country and did blood test to make sure that I got them all. I did Tdap, hep B, and influenza at my physician for school. The only addition one for immigration was Varicella and my physician did that as well. All my CS did was fill out the form, test for syphillis, did tb skin test and read the results 2 days later. I just bring my record from my doctor and she sent copies to immigration...

Edited by Newbie608

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

thanks linda , i appreciate your help and what about the TB skin test and blood test ? can we undergo these tests at a primary doctor or they have to be done by the CS ?

CS usually do those. I did a tb test 7 yrs ago when I came here and my CS said I had the option to get those records but I choose to redo everything. Didn't wanna take the chance with immigration...:)

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Im sorry but no one is going to get my simpithy with the "Rich people" hog wash....the USA is not the promise land...This is what is wrong with this country now...people want everything for nothing...Its called the American Dream..not the american promise...no one promises anyone that they are going to make it here..and it sure is heck isnt fair to punish or brand the people ,who have worked hard for what THEY THEMSELVES HAVE BUILT WITH THEIR OWN BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, with bad or stereotyped names...I MYSELF AM NOT RICH, IM JUST MIDDLE CLASS, BUT I FIND IT INSULTING TO BE LABELED GREEDY OR STUCK UP RICH JUST BECAUSE I CHOSE TO WORK MY TAIL OFF AND MAKE A GOOD LIVING FOR MYSELF...I PAY MY TAXES..I ALSO PAY FOR "FREELOADERS" WHO THINK AMERICA PROMISED THEM A CAREFREE FULL OF MONEY LIFE FOR NOTHING..........AMERICA IS NOTTT THE LAND OF PROMISE....AMERICA IS THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY...YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO TO MAKE IT IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO, OR THE OPPORTUNITY TO BREAK IT ...THE CHOICE IS YOURS...THAT CHOICE SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO BE MADE FOR YOU BY SOMEONE WHO IS TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR OPPORTUNITY, BUT CANT, DUE TO HAVING TO MAKE ENDS MEET FOR THEM AND YOU. SORRY FOR MY RANT..I KNOW IT WAS NOT ON TOPIC, BUT IM DONE NOW. As always..have a nice day..AND GOD BLESS!!! :)

Timeline

Law and medical practice are indeed two different things, but why in the world should a better doctor not be able to charge more for their services, just like the better lawyer. All CS's have the same qualifications as a minimum, certainly some of them have qualifications that exceed the minimum, and I'm sure this correlates to the rates they charge. Doctors don't work for the government.

the test that they are performing is a basic one.as far as i am concerned i will still stick to my early notion that there is no point to consider Doc A to Doc B Because he is better than Doc B because they are not doing something exceptional when it comes to this immigration medical.this is a very basic test and there should be a regulated Fee for the same. for my other fellow member who mentioned that DOC business cost in different states are different and so are there salaries and expenditures,well,that is the whole idea here to make a firm medical cost for this exam everywhere.i am pretty sure they will get good business and positive reviews keeping in mind the large inflow of the immigrants.this other fellow on this thread taunted me earlier to keep in mind that i am not in my native country anymore and the cost will be more in the US.i took offense of it.i understand things will be expensive here but several hundred dollars just for a basic exam that some of the CS does for a little amount.i would never let a CS charge me whatever he/she wants.its about the ethics not the $$ for me.

Timeline

I am a nursing student so I had to be fully immunized before I could do clinicals. I brought in my immunization record from my home country and did blood test to make sure that I got them all. I did Tdap, hep B, and influenza at my physician for school. The only addition one for immigration was Varicella and my physician did that as well. All my CS did was fill out the form, test for syphillis, did tb skin test and read the results 2 days later. I just bring my record from my doctor and she sent copies to immigration...

cool ! that sounds fair.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

JULIE ,

Whether or not there is a moral imperative to do so, regulating the fees that civil surgeons charge will lead to fewer doctors choosing to be civil surgeons which means you'd likely have to travel farther for an exam (there is only one practice in my town registered as civil surgeons, and the next closest ones are an hour and a half drive away) and book appointments farther in advance to get one.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Timeline

Whether or not there is a moral imperative to do so, regulating the fees that civil surgeons charge will lead to fewer doctors choosing to be civil surgeons which means you'd likely have to travel farther for an exam (there is only one practice in my town registered as civil surgeons, and the next closest ones are an hour and a half drive away) and book appointments farther in advance to get one.

i agree with you as i live in Rural IL and the nearest CS to me are 2-3 hours

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.