Hatem&Zeinab

Big Big Problem.... Please need help and advice!!

124 posts in this topic

It's not considered an emergency unless she had complications during her pregnancy and was considered high risk.

This is INCORRECT! A delivery is considered as an "Emergency" since if it's not treated promptly for those uninsured patients, they can die as result. As soon as the delivery is over and both the mom and baby are evaluated by the doctor as "stable", non-life threatening, the hospital will discharge both to minimize their financial loss.

The Mom (only a LPR) needs to notify the State Department of Human and Services in advance of the projected delivery date though. She'll need to fill out a form (each state will have a different name for it but it's called something like "Emergency Medicaid"). This form has to be filled and signed by the delivery physician and/or the hospital. If she follows the instructions to the T, all delivery expenses will be taken care of.

The pregnant mom can be qualified for Prenatal care CHIP during the pregnancy. But that's a different story.

The child obviously is a USC so s/he automatically qualifies for Medicaid, if the family income meets the guideline.

I never heard of any case in which the State goes after anyone for this type of Emergency (delivery). I have no opinion about other cases of emergencies.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

There's some sort of pregnancy/maternity exception in medicaid if you are a green card holder for less than five/three(not sure) years. This is the reason they asked you to fax over the GC. Medicaid is protecting the baby that will born in American soil. so the mother is only covered during the pregnancy. I know of two cases, one in Texas (GC less than a year) and one in Florida (GC less than 3 yrs) were on medicaid. You got nothing to worry about as long as you said she is/was a GC holder the time you applied. With all due respect if you lied in your application then they will likely charge you with fraud case. hope this helps

I have also heard about this. I have no idea how to go about it but if I were you I would look into it. The way they look at it is that pregnancy treatments are necessary for the future baby US citizen, so technically the one receiving the medicaid is the unborn US citizen and not the mom. However the mother should not receive any other medicaid benefits after delivery. Good luck.

I guess different states has different rules,i am in Indiana and I am familiar w Medicaid because i work in OB unit and does admission and insurance stuff. Here if your a GC holder and been here in the country for less than 5 years,you still get Medicaid but it will be Package E which is emergency only. If youve been in the country more than 5 yrs and a GC holder you are eligible for Package B which everything is covered. Social workers tend to make mistake bec when i applied to Medicaid for pregnancy i was approved for Package B which i am not supposed to have because been here in the country less than 5 yrs,so i called them and they rechecked my case and change my status to Package E. Call your wife social worker and show proof that she is a GC HOLDER. And for the child,child will automaticlly will have medicaid for a year even mom is already not on medicaid.

And this is a fact even undocumented immigrants gets Package E benefits here in my states. Which i think is not fair if you are GC holder living in the US less than 5 yrs get the same benefits as the illegal immigrants.

Edited by waynelaarni

Petition for my Mom

11/11/12 - Sent application
11/15/12 - Priority date
11/ /12 - NOA1
01/15/13 - RFE noticed recieved
01/17/13 - Mailed RFE documents
01/26/13 - APPROVED

NVC JOURNEY

02/04/13 - Case recieved
02/25/13 - Case number assigned
02/28/13 - Recieved email from NVC
02/28/13 - Sent Choice of Agent from beneficiary email add
02/28/13 - Paid AOS bill
03/06/13 - AOS "paid"
03/08/13 - Choice of agent accepted
03/11/13 - Recived IV bill
03/12/13 - Sent AOS packaged
03/27/13 - Recieved RFE for I-864A
04/02/13 - Re send I-864A
07/01/13 - Paid IV bill

07/29/13 - Sent IV Packet

08/01/13 - NVC Recieved Packet

Hatem--Some states, including, New York, Washington DC, Texas, offer health insurance for unborn babies if mom is without insurance and/or undocumented. This insurance covers prenatal visits, prescription medicine, the cost of giving birth, a couple of doctor visits for mom after baby is born, checkups, vaccines and prescriptions for baby. This insurance coverage is often times merged with Medicaid and referred to as Medicaid.

Your wife and baby may have been provided with this coverage. Perhaps you received misinformation from the person informing you that your insurance is cancelled. You should speak with someone competent and knowledgeable in the Medicaid office, perhaps a supervisor, to clear confusion that has arisen from your case. Don't worry.

IR2

04/21/2014: I-130 received

07/01/2014: I-130 approved

08/08/2014: DS-261 Completed

08/09/2014: AOS mailed

08/14/2014: AOS Scan Date

09/07/2014: IV civil documents mailed (I sent civil documents with AOS cover page before DS-260 fee unlocked)

09/15/2014: IV Civil Documents Scan Date

09/18/2014: IV fee unlocked

09/27/2014: DS 260 Completed

10/21/2014: Case Complete

12/15/2014: Interview -- Visa Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hatem--Some states, including, New York, Washington DC, Texas, offer health insurance for unborn babies if mom is without insurance and/or undocumented. This insurance covers prenatal visits, prescription medicine, the cost of giving birth, a couple of doctor visits for mom after baby is born, checkups, vaccines and prescriptions for baby. This insurance coverage is often times merged with Medicaid and referred to as Medicaid.

Your wife and baby may have been provided with this coverage. Perhaps you received misinformation from the person informing you that your insurance is cancelled. You should speak with someone competent and knowledgeable in the Medicaid office, perhaps a supervisor, to clear confusion that has arisen from your case. Don't worry.

Weird

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

EXACTLY.

That's why I suggested he appeal, if he's received a decision notice cancelling coverage. An appeal will force a review the situation as a whole, without paying an attorney.

Crikey, folks. It's the US, a first world nation. Part and parcel to that designation is low infant mortality rates and that requires prenatal care. With almost 30 Medicaid programs at the federal level, and the variances in state programs, it's pretty much not necessary that women give births in bushes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Crikey, folks. It's the US, a first world nation. Part and parcel to that designation is low infant mortality rates and that requires prenatal care. With almost 30 Medicaid programs at the federal level, and the variances in state programs, it's pretty much not necessary that women give births in bushes.

38th

(Costa Rica is 37th btw)

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It is your responsibility, you agreed to that in your application with USCIS. Work out a payment plan and get insurance for your family, good luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Idk where you live, but here in NY Medicaid for pregnancy is given regardless your immigration status...My brother in law wife had medicaid during her two pregnancies and now she is a US Citizen... (she was out of status when she had it)

10-24-2012: AOS, EAD, AP Sent

11-04-2012: NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

11-06-2012: Biometrics App Letter

11-16-2012: My baby boy was born

11-19-2012: Biometrics Appointment

12-29-2012: AP Approved

01-04-2013: EAD Approved

01-10-2013: Combo Card Arrived

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

I don't know.... I don't feel too good towards about this....

this employee screwed up our life!! I know if it was a hospital, it would have made payment plans and reduce the payments, but the problem is that the government already paid for all medical bills for the past 9 months, and prescriptions!! we are looking at tens of thousands of dollars....

when dealing with the government it is different... what kind of payment plan would they accept!! to pay all this money back!

the guy told me over the phone whether it is your fault or ours, you have to pay it back... this is unfair!

Why is this unfair? It would be unfair if you received benefits that you are not entitled to. I agree its their fault an not an easy situation, but it's not unfair, it actually IS fair. But as others have pointed out, do not worry, they will work with you to come up with a repayment plan, they will not expect you to pay it back in one lump sum.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

You should talk to a case worker at medicade, there are a lot of immigrants that get help from the state whether you are a citizen or not. Perm residents, depending on the state you live in, are ellidgeable for help and medical assistance. I would try to get a 'case worker' on the line and explain everything. I am sorry my grammer is not the greatest. Spelling in english is hard for me.

Hi, My name is Hatem. I am a US citizen, my wife is a green card holder. She got her green card a year ago, through marriage to me. She was pregnant. I applied for medicaid for her so it covers her pregnancy. I said on the application that she is not a US citizen. Our case was ineligible.

Few days later, a Medicaid officer called us told us about our case. I told her my wife is not a citizen. She asked me to fax her the green card and all other documents. Few days later, we received a letter saying that her medicaid has been approved, and it they make it start from day 1 of pregnancy till delivery.

Later on, when my baby was born, I got online to add my baby to the household, and I found a check mark next to my wife that she is a US citizen.

I called them and told them to correct it, and now they closed her medicaid, and they say they will make me pay for all the bills they paid, even though I never said or submitted anything claiming she is a citizen!!!

What can I do now? We are looking at thousands of dollars!!

Our Story!

Met online 2011

Started dating officially April 30th, 2012

Michelle's first trip to Morocco November- December 2012

Michelle's second trip to Morocco April 2013

Currently waiting for a hug...

Timeline:

Sent docs to Uscis March 8th 2013

Noa 1 March 18 2013

RFE July 26th 2013

RFE Reply 8-19-2013

RFE Rec'd at uscis 8-21-13

Approval NOA 2 August 29th 2013

Sent to NVC Oct 4th 2013

Arrived at NVC and checked in (got our second case number) Oct 16th, 2013

Left NVC Oct 22nd, 2013

Filed: Timeline

I don't have advice for the OP...but this raises a question.

What should have been done at the moment you learn of pregnancy in this situation?

A US citizen returns the the US with his wife.

Soon thereafter, she becomes pregnant.

Suppose the US citizen (husband) is unemployed (or, at least without insurance).

What is the cheapest way to carry and deliver a healthy baby without worries???

But please...keep your self-righteous family planning comments to yourselves.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I don't have advice for the OP...but this raises a question.

What should have been done at the moment you learn of pregnancy in this situation?

A US citizen returns the the US with his wife.

Soon thereafter, she becomes pregnant.

Suppose the US citizen (husband) is unemployed (or, at least without insurance).

What is the cheapest way to carry and deliver a healthy baby without worries???

But please...keep your self-righteous family planning comments to yourselves.

The answer to that question is family planning. Honoring your request. I will refrain from being self righteous.

IMHO family planning goes beyond the use of contraceptives and abortion. Family planning includes making sure you have the financial and emotional wherewithal to see through a pregnancy, plan for all complications, and be financially secure that you will be able to provide accordingly to your family and also have a savings plan for college, for your kid.

In this case however, the OP has a newborn in his family so it would be useless to discuss what he should/could have done. Hindsight is 20/20. Judging him would be equally useless and crass, IMHO.

The issue is a non-issue, really. He can work out a payment plan and pay off his medical bills over time.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.