MeeraPrakash

Fixing the situation with immigration for spouses of legal permanent residents

21 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am petitioning the US Congress to change immigration laws so that I don't have to wait 4-5 years to be with my wife in the US: http://www.change.org/petitions/the-president-of-the-united-states-expeditiously-pass-hr-1796-into-law-so-i-can-stay-in-the-us

I would appreciate your support in signing the petition, and spreading the word among the others who are in the same boat.

Also, do join the mailing list at UniteFamilies.org to make a concentrated effort to fix the situation once for all.

Thanks,

Prakash Murthy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am petitioning the US Congress to change immigration laws so that I don't have to wait 4-5 years to be with my wife in the US: http://www.change.org/petitions/the-president-of-the-united-states-expeditiously-pass-hr-1796-into-law-so-i-can-stay-in-the-us

I would appreciate your support in signing the petition, and spreading the word among the others who are in the same boat.

Also, do join the mailing list at UniteFamilies.org to make a concentrated effort to fix the situation once for all.

Thanks,

Prakash Murthy

the problem is that the timeframe is incorrect, it used to be 5 years, now it is less than 3 years. you cannot send something to Congress that isn't accurate.

this is the visa bulletin for August the priority date for India for spouses of a LPR is March 15, 2010.

Family-Sponsored

All Charge-ability Areas Except Those Listed CHINA- mainland born INDIA MEXICO PHILIPPINES

F1 01AUG05 01AUG05 01AUG05 08JUN93 01MAR94

F2A 15MAR10 15MAR10 15MAR10 01MAR10 15MAR10

F2B 22JUN04 22JUN04 22JUN04 22AUG92 01JAN02

F3 01MAY02 01MAY02 01MAY02 22JAN93 22JUL92

F4 15FEB01 08JAN01 15FEB01 15JUN96 01FEB89

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am petitioning the US Congress to change immigration laws so that I don't have to wait 4-5 years to be with my wife in the US: http://www.change.or...-stay-in-the-us

Thanks,

Prakash Murthy

Here is the cynical response to this type of petition: LPRs can't vote, so politicians have less motivation to react to their requests.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am petitioning the US Congress to change immigration laws so that I don't have to wait 4-5 years to be with my wife in the US: http://www.change.or...-stay-in-the-us

Thanks,

Prakash Murthy

MeeraPrakash - with all respect due ...did u research the US Immigration laws.. processing times for LPRs who chooses to marry to someone who is not inside of the USA..? Congress did not force a marriage to between anyone and applicants cant expect to jump into marriage... decide to HAVE kids and then speak on growing children alone. You can delay having children... that's easily said and done.. it's something we do by choice. i hope it all works out

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Annual limits were placed on family preference visa categories for a reason, and I happen to agree with those reasons. Reclassifying the F2 category to immediate relative would dramatically increase the flood of immigrants into the US, especially from heavily oversubscribed countries like Mexico, China, India, and the Philippines. Annual limits exist to control that flow so that it doesn't have an adverse impact on the economy and the ability of the government to provide essential services. You can't possibly make a case that it would benefit the United States to remove those limits at a time when the US economy is the worst it's been since the Great Depression.

I also don't think you can make a case that it would be fair to make such a huge concession to permanent residents while still keeping the annual limits in place for the adult children and siblings of US citizens.

Further, there are a heap of changes this law would impose that I don't agree with. For example, I disagree with almost all of section 104. Those changes would increase the age where an EWI began to accrue unlawful presence to 21 years old, remove the word "extreme" from the hardship waiver requirements (any simple hardship would be enough to qualify), and make parents of LPR's eligible for waivers. It would also grant an automatic I-601 waiver to any alien subject to the unlawful presence ban if there was a petition approved for them before this law went into effect. It would also impose on the government a requirement that a false claim of US citizenship be proven to be "willful" on the part of the alien who made the claim.

The list of co-sponsors for HR 1796 reads like the roll call for the liberal Democrat wing of the House of Representatives. I don't think this bill has any chance of being passed unless the Democrats retake the House in November. I personally hope it doesn't pass.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Under current law, a Green Card holder is allowed to apply for an immigrant visa on behalf of his/her foreign resident spouse and unmarried, minor children.

True

However, the it takes over 5 years to complete this process

Not true

While waiting, spouses and children are not allowed to enter the U.S., even for a brief visit.

Not true

The Green Card holder, on the other hand, must reside predominantly in the U.S or risk violating the law.

Not true

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Prakash and Meera - We have signed your petition. We wish you the best and God Speed.

Regards,

MrsNotBonJovi and NotBonJovi

09/1991 - Came to the US on F1

06/2002 - Became a Permanent Resident

Naturalization Journey

10/12/11: Sent N-400 to Dallas lockbox via USPS certified mail

10/18/11: Delivery confirmed

10/21/11: Check cashed

10/25/11: Got NOA by mail. Priority date 10/18

10/28/11: FP notice received by mail

11/18/11: FP done per schedule

01/03/12: Yellow letter received (dated 12/12/11)

01/06/12: Status changed to Testing and Interview (inline for scheduling)

01/18/12: Status changed to Interview Scheduled

01/21/12: IL Received

02/23/12: Interview: approved. Oath: completed

Phew, what a journey! I am a US Citizen.

02/27/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card

03/26/12: Received passport

Filed: Country: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Timeline

Prakash and Meera - We have signed your petition. We wish you the best and God Speed.

Regards,

MrsNotBonJovi and NotBonJovi

We shouldn't give only bad comments on Prakashs activity. I admire his will for at least trying to change something! Yes we knew the process, yes the politicians don't have interest in this population but.... rules and regulations, even laws are changeable, and when it comes to politicians - a lot of us will become citizens with the right to vote eventually...So ... GREAT JOB... Hope it will be successful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can see why some people reckon Democracy is over rated.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1342843459[/url]' post='5543409']

Thanks,

Prakash Murthy

Prakash, your idea is valid but you are going at it the wrong way. Laws dont get changed unless they are challenged. Effecting s change in law, in matters of immigration, is a major undertaking. Furthermore, changing one simple aspect of the law alone may not have the necessary pull.

If you want to go down that route, get a lawyer and put a case together so you can challenge the law instead of simply advocating that it be changed. Gather data, compile a motion and file it. It will most likely take a long time, certainly longer than the five years of which you speak.

If you don't want to go it alone, seek an organization with interest in immigration nd add your claim to an exiting and ongoing litigation.

There are organizations that are representing other cases of people who feel disenfranchised by the current system, such as the Dream Act, recognition of same-sex spouses for immigration purposes, fiances and fiancées by virtue of arranged marriages, just to name a few. Consider joining forces with them so you'll have a chance to effect change in a broader way.

Chances are you will not be able to benefit from these changes, but you'll have made a difference in the lives of many others in the future.

Good luck with your endeavor !

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Prakash, your idea is valid but you are going at it the wrong way. Laws dont get changed unless they are challenged. Effecting s change in law, in matters of immigration, is a major undertaking. Furthermore, changing one simple aspect of the law alone may not have the necessary pull.

If you want to go down that route, get a lawyer and put a case together so you can challenge the law instead of simply advocating that it be changed. Gather data, compile a motion and file it. It will most likely take a long time, certainly longer than the five years of which you speak.

If you don't want to go it alone, seek an organization with interest in immigration nd add your claim to an exiting and ongoing litigation.

There are organizations that are representing other cases of people who feel disenfranchised by the current system, such as the Dream Act, recognition of same-sex spouses for immigration purposes, fiances and fiancées by virtue of arranged marriages, just to name a few. Consider joining forces with them so you'll have a chance to effect change in a broader way.

Chances are you will not be able to benefit from these changes, but you'll have made a difference in the lives of many others in the future.

You've suggest legally challenging the law with a lawyer. What is the legal basis for the challenge? He can't file just because he disagree with the law or does not like it. He needs a legal reason to challenge.

Every nation has the right to control the movement and rights of foreign citizens to be in their nation. On what grounds would a foreign person sue the US to be admitted to the US, or a foreign citizen who is an LPR (with permission to live in the US) have the right to tell the US to let another foreign person in? The simple solution is the foreign citizen LPR can always go home to be with his wife.

No foreign person (even an LPR) can sue and force the US government to let another foreign person live in the US when there is no violation of the law. If the US violates its own laws, then that would be a valid reason to sue. A long wait for the spouse of an LPR is the law, so there is no violation and no legal basis to sue.

What you are suggesting is merely putting hard earned money into the hands of a crooked lawyer.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1342981296[/url]' post='5546174']

You've suggest legally challenging the law with a lawyer. What is the legal basis for the challenge? He can't file just because he disagree with the law or does not like it. He needs a legal reason to challenge.

That is the idea behind my post. If you're going to challenge a law you need to do it from a well grounded position.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

That is the idea behind my post. If you're going to challenge a law you need to do it from a well grounded position.

Since you are the one suggesting suing with a lawyer, what would consider a well grounded position? You can't just throw it out there without providing support for your advice. It's easy to say sue the government if you don't like something. When giving advice, you need to provide support for your advice.

I think this is a horrible idea. There is no legal basis to sue the government to change the wait time for the spouse of an LPR.

Timeline

You got the wrong poster. I am not suggesting a law suit, implicitly or otherwise.

The OP advocated for a petition.

You suggested getting a lawyer to put a case together instead of advocating for a change.

Getting a lawyer to pursue a case does mean a lawsuit. Why get a lawyer to pursue a case to challenge a law if a lawsuit is not intended?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.