liss

K-1 visa enquiry

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Greetings to everyone on here. I am indeed happy I came across this site and I have read a lot of posts that has indeed motivated me.

However,I still have questions to ask and would really appreciate answers from everyone who has got experience in this matter.

Early this year,my Girlfriend a US citizen decided to file the petition for a K-1 visa for me.I am from Nigeria and would most likely be attending the much dreaded Lagos consulate office that is if I am called for an interview.

I have met her in person since 2005 and last saw her in 2012. In fact, she comes back to Nigeria since I met her every year usually around December. we decided to take thing to the next level sometime in April 2012 and she filed the petition. I really love her and want to be with her. the issues i am facing are I a younger than she is.I am 27years and she is over 40years. All through our time of meeting,we have not taken any pictures and that's because it has always be a phone conversation thing and we see when she comes back home. Now that things have taken this new turn,What other proofs can be used to convince the consulate that we are a genuine couple? I have text messages I received from her on my phone and I don't really have much email conversations cause we don't email much.

This is the 3rd month running we are awaiting the NOA2.

Any advice on what chances we have and what you suggest can be done. Also,I don't have a job but intend to further my studies (get a master's degree) when I get to the states.

Please I need your opinions and advice.

Thank you.[/b][/b]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Phone bills, chat logs, emails. Why didnt you guys take any pictures? To me it would seem strange you guys did not take pictures with each other during her visits? Were you all you in a relationship at the time?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you cannot supply proof of the relationship that you claim has been growing since 2005 you will have a very difficult time convincing the interviewing officer that this is a legitimate case.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Your consulate is notoriously difficult, I think you have a slim chance of passing the interview without solid proof.

It is great that you met every year since 2005 but do you have any solid evidence to back that up? 7 years relationship without any picture raises an eyebrow for me.

Usually, for difficult consulate you have a much higher chance to get married and file for CR-1 visa. Have you considered that instead? It might save you time in the long run.

Timeline

Phone bills, chat logs, emails. Why didnt you guys take any pictures? To me it would seem strange you guys did not take pictures with each other during her visits? Were you all you in a relationship at the time?

Then it just started off as friends. we talk once in a while and that's it.but as time went by we got talking more frequently and besides we were somewhat scared of letting out our feelings till early this year when we found out we have the same feeling for each other.you know she is older than me so it was kinda odd

Timeline

Your consulate is notoriously difficult, I think you have a slim chance of passing the interview without solid proof.

It is great that you met every year since 2005 but do you have any solid evidence to back that up? 7 years relationship without any picture raises an eyebrow for me.

Usually, for difficult consulate you have a much higher chance to get married and file for CR-1 visa. Have you considered that instead? It might save you time in the long run.

Thank you GandK,I want to believe that my fiancee has her travel details to show. We have started the process already since April ending. am not sure is possible to back out now.maybe if this doesn't sail through we could get married and refile. that's possible right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you GandK,I want to believe that my fiancee has her travel details to show. We have started the process already since April ending. am not sure is possible to back out now.maybe if this doesn't sail through we could get married and refile. that's possible right?

Yes it is possible to get married and refile. But no pictures to show proof of a relationship is going to be tough.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

If you cannot supply proof of the relationship that you claim has been growing since 2005 you will have a very difficult time convincing the interviewing officer that this is a legitimate case.

i know,but it is something planned or arranged.it just fell in naturally.I never knew I would have to get or save proofs and all of the relationship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Pictures pictures pictures.....

January 15, 2012 met on line

April 18, 2012 met in person in Cebu

April 20, 2012 proposed

May 28, 2012 filed K1

June 6, 2012 received email K1 accepted.

August 28, 2012 NOA2 approved!!!!!!!

September 21, 2012 went back for vist number 2

Had a wonderful time!

Interview set for November 6

Flying out November 3 to be together

Arrived November 4

November 6, 2013 interview and approved

November 14, 2013 picked up visa!

November 29, 2013 arrived in Anchorage

November 30, 2013 applied for marriage license

December 15, 2013 civil wedding

February 16, 2013 AOS filed

February 23, 2013 NOA 1 reviewed

April 4, 2013 Biometric appointment

May 9, 2013 AOS intervie

May 9, 2013 Approved ap, ead and green card

May 18, 2013 received Green Card, EAD and AP in mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Getting married won't overcome certain issues that will still be around when being married. Even though pictures are secondary evidence, they do tell a story that can't be put on a piece on paper with writing. Not even video of the 2 of you? You can capture single frames and use them instead.

Meeting in person is by far the best evidence - if your fiancee has any receipts from her trips, that'll be awesome(passport stamps also). Cards sent via snail mail, parts of chatlogs(don't send 5000 pages).

First and foremost - listen to the ones that have already gone through Lagos, both succesfully and denials. You'll learn from both - how to deal with age difference and other factors.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Timeline

First and foremost - listen to the ones that have already gone through Lagos, both succesfully and denials. You'll learn from both - how to deal with age difference and other factors.

Where do you find people's interview experience at Lagos?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ask friends and family- surely some people took pics in the 7 years you have known eachother?

How long have you actually been a couple?

Do you have daily or at least weekly phonecalls to show since 2005?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Where do you find people's interview experience at Lagos?

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Nigeria

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The consulate in Lagos is (arguably) the most difficult in the world. They see every possible manner of visa scam on a daily basis, and many of those scammers are well prepared. This makes it doubly difficult to stand above the crowd as a legitimate couple. The consular officer is going to be predisposed to believe you're just another scammer before the interview has even begun.

First, why did your fiancee visit Nigeria before you became engaged? Was it for business or pleasure? If she was there as a tourist then they're not going to believe she didn't take any photos. Americans don't take a holiday half way around the world without taking photos, especially now that practically any device with a battery also includes a camera.

Second, is it common in Nigeria for a man in his 20's to marry a woman in her 40's? If not then you can expect this to be an issue at the interview. If an average Nigerian wouldn't believe the relationship was genuine then the consular officer is going to be convinced that it's not.

Third, the consular officer is going to look for an ulterior motive aside from a genuine relationship. You've got one. You're not working, and you want to go to school in the US. A masters program is extraordinarily expensive in the US, especially for a foreigner, so hooking up with a older woman, especially if she's financially secure, would seem to fit this profile.

The consular officer is going to be interested in how your relationship evolved, both before and after the relationship became serious. You don't have much concrete evidence of your relationship before you became engaged, and you don't have much time between when you became engaged and the petition was filed. You might have been able to improve your chances by taking more time, having her take more trips, and collecting far more evidence after you became engaged and before sending the petition.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.