Andrea&Henry

Trying to get my driver license in FLORIDA, Help

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi!!!

I got so many questions about How I can get my driver license...

I came here with a k1 visa on April 20, got married on May 17 and applied for my AOS on June 20. I already got my ssn. Im currently living in Miami with my hubby.

My i-94 expires on July 19, really soon. My husband told me, if I try to get my driver license, it will be expire the same day of my i-94. He said that I need a legal documentation, besides my passport to get one. My other legal doc will be my greencard, but I filled for it less than a month ago. I can't wait 6 month

I was reading some topics about it, and somebody said that I can use my EAD to get my driver license for a year. is that true?

I know that the laws change according to the state, but if you guys can help me. I really need it...What things I need to get it in the state of Florida?

Thanks in advance

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Here you go: http://www.dmvflorida.org/drivers-license-identification.shtml

Non Immigrants

Non Immigrants that apply for a Florida drivers license or ID card must provide the Proof of Social Security Number and 2 Proofs of Residential address desribed above.

As a Non Immigrant you must provide one original or certified copy of the following Identification documents:

• Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I688B or I-766); or
  • Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s).

If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your US BCIS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:

F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.

I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an DS2019.

Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.

• I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit**
  • I-512 Parole Letter Accepted**
  • IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.**

** These documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card (Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department to see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) or other US BCIS document.

Notes:

All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.

Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.

Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.

All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and US BCIS databases.

Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the US BCIS document, up to a maximum of one year.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Hi!!!

I came here with a k1 visa on April 20, got married on May 17 and applied for my AOS on June 20. I already got my ssn. Im currently living in Miami with my hubby.

My i-94 expires on July 19, really soon. My husband told me, if I try to get my driver license, it will be expire the same day of my i-94. He said that I need a legal documentation, besides my passport to get one. My other legal doc will be my greencard, but I filled for it less than a month ago. I can't wait 6 month

I was reading some topics about it, and somebody said that I can use my EAD to get my driver license for a year. is that true?

I know that the laws change according to the state, but if you guys can help me. I really need it...What things I need to get it in the state of Florida?

Thanks in advance

The license will be good for 1 year. You need proof of residence such as utility bills or a government document with your name showing the address. We used the NOA1 from the AOS. You should be able to use your EAD but you might need one more item of proof. Alternatively your husband can sign an affidavit and he can show two proofs of residency. The affidavit is downloadable from the Florida DMV website. Start here http://www.gathergoget.com/ The link will tell you any other documents you may need.

Edited by spectec

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

39tlivle4.png

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just to add to this.

When I went to get my Florida drivers licence they also wanted my marriage cert to prove I was married EVEN THOUGH THAT IS NOT A REQUIREMENT TO GET A DRIVERS LICENCE!

There was no arguing with them though. They were acting like a bunch of uppity, power-tripping.... you know whats.

My I-94 was due to expire in 2 weeks but they issued my DL for a year. I did not have, and STILL do not have, my EAD/AP.

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
08/09/2011 I-129F recieved and signed for by C.Viella @ Lewisville, TX
08/11/2011 NOA1 email recieved
08/12/2011 Cheque cashed by USCIS
08/16/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy recieved
12/05/2011 NOA2 Email recieved: Approved
12/09/2011 NOA2 Hard Copy recieved: Approved
01/10/2012 Medical
01/24/2012 NVC received File
01/26/2012 NVC transferred to Embassy
02/06/2012 Embassy Received
02/08/2012 Packet 3 Received
02/16/2012 Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
02/17/2012 Embassy Received
03/01/2012 Packet 4 Received
03/13/2012 Interview Date: APPROVED
04/05/2012 POE: Dublin, Ireland

Your I-129f was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 215 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

04/25/2012 AOS sent
04/30/2012 AOS Received and signed for by CHYBA @ Chicago, IL
05/03/2012 Cheque cashed by USCIS
05/04/2012 Biometrics letter sent
05/29/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC
06/01/2012 Biometrics appointment
07/06/2012 EAD+AP Card Production (68 days)
07/14/2012 EAD+AP Card Received

04/18/2013 Filed for EAD+AP renewal
04/19/2013 Contacted Congressman
04/19/2013 RFE for form I-693
05/06/2013 RFE response under review
05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!
05/25/2013 Green Card IN HAND!

Your AOS was approved in 392 days from your send-date.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

hi. im living in fl as well and applied for a driver license after my I-94 was already way expired. best is go to a tax collector office. show ur passport, ssn, marriage certificate, ur I-797 that u applied for the green card and lease or utility bill. if u not on the lease its enough if the utility bills are in ur husbands name and he also has to file this form : http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/CertificationofAddressHSMV71120.pdf

they should give u a one year temporary card and u have to go back when u get ur green card. if they dont know what they doing ( what mostly happens lol) talk to a supervisor or go to a different location :)

wish u good luck on it and hope u can drive soon

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi!!!

Thanks in advance

Yes, you can get a temporary license using your EAD that will expire when your EAD does, in a year. They require your social security card, and 2 pieces of mail that prove your Florida residency. Bring along your marriage certificate and passport just in case they want to see them. They will give you a receipt and a 30-day temporary paper permit. Your information will be sent to Tallahassee and your license will be sent to you in the mail from there within 30 days. When you get your green card, you can go back and they will issue a license based on you being a permanent resident with a longer expiration date.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fellow AOSers, good day!

I am also planning on getting my florida driver's lic and confused about this: DATA course

I am 34, have a valid driver's license from my country, have EAD and all other requirements listed at gathergoget website. Am i still required to take this Drug and Alcohol Awareness Course (DATA)?

I called their customer service number and the lady who i spoke with was not sure about her answers and decided to transfer me to somebody who she thought would be able to help me better. Unfortunately i had to wait for over 15 mins and got disconnected.

To you fellow vjers who are done with this step already, i hope you can enlighten me. Please...

Thanks so much in advance!

Chie

Fellow AOSers, good day!

I am also planning on getting my florida driver's lic and confused about this: DATA course

I am 34, have a valid driver's license from my country, have EAD and all other requirements listed at gathergoget website. Am i still required to take this Drug and Alcohol Awareness Course (DATA)?

I called their customer service number and the lady who i spoke with was not sure about her answers and decided to transfer me to somebody who she thought would be able to help me better. Unfortunately i had to wait for over 15 mins and got disconnected.

To you fellow vjers who are done with this step already, i hope you can enlighten me. Please...

Chie

Fellow AOSers, good day!

Chie

Luke 1:37 - "For with GOD nothing shall be impossible."

AOS Journey

• 02.25.2012 - AOS, EAD, AP sent
  • 02.29.2012 - received text/email receipt notices
  • 03.22.2012 - transferred to CSC
  • 04.19.2012 - biometrics appointment
  • 05.02.2012 - EAD & AP approved
  • 10.19.2012 - AOS approved

K1 Journey

• 05.2000 - met in class - Orlando, FL
  • 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 11.2011 - K1 visa received
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Fellow AOSers, good day!

Chie

Fellow AOSers, good day!

Chie

Fellow AOSers, good day!

Chie

I didn't have to do the DATA course. I'm sure you won't either. :thumbs:

K-1 Visa Journey
08/05/2011 I-129F sent
08/09/2011 I-129F recieved and signed for by C.Viella @ Lewisville, TX
08/11/2011 NOA1 email recieved
08/12/2011 Cheque cashed by USCIS
08/16/2011 NOA1 Hard Copy recieved
12/05/2011 NOA2 Email recieved: Approved
12/09/2011 NOA2 Hard Copy recieved: Approved
01/10/2012 Medical
01/24/2012 NVC received File
01/26/2012 NVC transferred to Embassy
02/06/2012 Embassy Received
02/08/2012 Packet 3 Received
02/16/2012 Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
02/17/2012 Embassy Received
03/01/2012 Packet 4 Received
03/13/2012 Interview Date: APPROVED
04/05/2012 POE: Dublin, Ireland

Your I-129f was approved in 116 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 215 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

04/25/2012 AOS sent
04/30/2012 AOS Received and signed for by CHYBA @ Chicago, IL
05/03/2012 Cheque cashed by USCIS
05/04/2012 Biometrics letter sent
05/29/2012 I-485 transferred to CSC
06/01/2012 Biometrics appointment
07/06/2012 EAD+AP Card Production (68 days)
07/14/2012 EAD+AP Card Received

04/18/2013 Filed for EAD+AP renewal
04/19/2013 Contacted Congressman
04/19/2013 RFE for form I-693
05/06/2013 RFE response under review
05/21/2013 AOS APPROVED!
05/25/2013 Green Card IN HAND!

Your AOS was approved in 392 days from your send-date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks a lot, widsy! I do appreciate it. Have a good one!

chie

Luke 1:37 - "For with GOD nothing shall be impossible."

AOS Journey

• 02.25.2012 - AOS, EAD, AP sent
  • 02.29.2012 - received text/email receipt notices
  • 03.22.2012 - transferred to CSC
  • 04.19.2012 - biometrics appointment
  • 05.02.2012 - EAD & AP approved
  • 10.19.2012 - AOS approved

K1 Journey

• 05.2000 - met in class - Orlando, FL
  • 05.2011 - K1 filed
  • 11.2011 - K1 visa received
  • 01.2012 - POE/Wedding

• 2 years later...

Blowing up some dust on this topic, since I thought it was not needed to open a new topic while it's about the same subject. I'm just looking for some advice on this one.

Recentely I applied for my SSN since I also received my EAD earlier this month. Now I'm focusing on getting myself a Florida drivers license, since it will be easier while having a SSN.

First off all, I'm still kind of confussed. So do you or do you not have to take this "DATA" course. I have a valid Dutch drivers license, so I'm not a stranger to the roads even if it's in another country. Of course different "rules of the road" but those can be learned. I just got confused because of the DMV website refers to it differentely on 2 pages.

Also what kind of documents do I need when I apply for a Florida drivers license. I've seen other listed up:

* Social Security Card

^ EAD

* Passport of country of origin

^ Drivers License from country of origin

* Proof of residence (I will be using I-797, AOS filed) and (Vehicle registration) I've purchased a vehicle on my same) However I don't drive it, but my wife does.

Advice is requested, like what to tell the DMV people about obtaining the Florida drivers license.

Blowing up some dust on this topic, since I thought it was not needed to open a new topic while it's about the same subject. I'm just looking for some advice on this one.

Recentely I applied for my SSN since I also received my EAD earlier this month. Now I'm focusing on getting myself a Florida drivers license, since it will be easier while having a SSN.

First off all, I'm still kind of confussed. So do you or do you not have to take this "DATA" course. I have a valid Dutch drivers license, so I'm not a stranger to the roads even if it's in another country. Of course different "rules of the road" but those can be learned. I just got confused because of the DMV website refers to it differentely on 2 pages.

Also what kind of documents do I need when I apply for a Florida drivers license. I've seen other listed up:

* Social Security Card

^ EAD

* Passport of country of origin

^ Drivers License from country of origin

* Proof of residence (I will be using I-797, AOS filed) and (Vehicle registration) I've purchased a vehicle on my same) However I don't drive it, but my wife does.

Advice is requested, like what to tell the DMV people about obtaining the Florida drivers license.

With regards to DATA i found info on here http://www.dmvflorida.org/first-time-driver.shtml and it says "If you have never been issued a drivers license in any state or country the state of Florida requires that you complete a First Time Driver education course.

Florida first time driver courses teach drivers how drugs and alcohol affect driving, traffic responsibilities and laws and techniques for safe driving.

First Time Driver Course Names

Courses are commonly known as:

DATA (drugs, alcohol, traffic, awareness)

DATE (drugs, alcohol, traffic education)

TLSAE (traffic law substance abuse education)" so my understanding is no, you wouldn't have to take this test. Although I would just give your local dmv office a call and ask.

I got my first dl in florida with EAD and had no problem at all.

EAD as proof of id and legal status, ssn, bank statement and i797 notice as proof of address"

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving to and New life in America, from AOS Family~~

~~As this old thread has had a new question and that question has now been answered, this thread is now locked to further replies.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.