SunnySanDiego

To shoe or not to shoe

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

So my husband and I had an ongoing debate since we first met and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on this and what their culture dictates.

I'm Canadian and we never ever wore our shoes in our own homes or any home that we visited back home. It's considered rude to wear shoes in someones home (that's what I was taught) as it tracks dirt into their home. I personally feel more comfortable in bare feet or socks around the home, plus I do think it's cleaner. However everyone here in the US that I have met think I am strange and they all wear shoes in their own homes and homes that they visit(not allowed in mine :no: ). My husband has been doing it since I have been here and has since conceded that I was right, it is cleaner and much more comfortable :thumbs: .

What say you and your own cultures?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i insist that everyone visiting wear saran wrap. no spread of germs, and it helps keep visits short.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's a cultural thing. My family and I are flexible on this matter. When we visit friends we automatically start taking our shoes off and if they say it is o.k we keep them on. In my home I take my shoes off at the door because I don't want to track dirt into the home. But if my friends are visiting I am flexible allowing those that prefer to keep it on.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm a non-shoe person too. Mostly because it's more comfortable, and in winter I'll wear house shoes (leather soles, knitted top). My US sister-in-law actually accused me of child abuse because I didn't have our kids wear shoes unless we were outside!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When we are in Hungary, they too have house slippers at the door and it is the norm in all the family's homes..apartments,flats, big homes or vacationing homes.

I would love to implement it here in the U.S. but most people in my neighborhood dont do this on their own :whistle: And even my children think I am weird.

In Morocco we took them off too. It keeps things so clean :D

Look I say does as the Japanese do and we will all be okay. Look at there manners and delicious sushi...how can we go wrong??? YUM.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

I'm a non-shoe person too. Mostly because it's more comfortable, and in winter I'll wear house shoes (leather soles, knitted top). My US sister-in-law actually accused me of child abuse because I didn't have our kids wear shoes unless we were outside!

Yeah I agree totally. What! that's crazy how is it child abuse lol.

When we are in Hungary, they too have house slippers at the door and it is the norm in all the family's homes..apartments,flats, big homes or vacationing homes.

I would love to implement it here in the U.S. but most people in my neighborhood dont do this on their own :whistle: And even my children think I am weird.

In Morocco we took them off too. It keeps things so clean :D

Look I say does as the Japanese do and we will all be okay. Look at there manners and delicious sushi...how can we go wrong??? YUM.

Yeah when it's chilly I have slippers, they are soft, clean and comfy =).

Even after all these months I still feel guilty being in someones home with my shoes on. I feel like I will be scolded and told to take them off and asked if I was raised in a barn lol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Sveta and I have decided that we will put a wardrobe by the door filled with all different sizes of slippers. In our home... no shoes. I'll have to educate my friends and family though.........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yeah I agree totally. What! that's crazy how is it child abuse lol.

Everything that isn't exactly how she and her mother does it is child abuse (even though mom- my MIL- is much nicer and more polite.). This includes breastfeeding past 6 months, not giving rice cereal at 2 weeks (if I did that, my doctor would probably report me to CPS...), not bleaching all clothes to oblivion, not letting kids have all the sweets they want....

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Sveta and I have decided that we will put a wardrobe by the door filled with all different sizes of slippers. In our home... no shoes. I'll have to educate my friends and family though.........

Yeah we have a shoe rack by the door. I just told my in-laws and my husbands family that it's a cultural respect thing where I come from and no has had a problem at all.

Timeline

Everything that isn't exactly how she and her mother does it is child abuse (even though mom- my MIL- is much nicer and more polite.). This includes breastfeeding past 6 months, not giving rice cereal at 2 weeks (if I did that, my doctor would probably report me to CPS...), not bleaching all clothes to oblivion, not letting kids have all the sweets they want....

Oh :wow: you didn't and don't do those thing..... so shocking what a bad person you are :rofl: ! Yeah feeding a 2 week old rice cereal is absolutely nuts, no one but a crazy person would tell you to do that. A babies tummy can't handle that at that age.

As long as the females take off the rest of their clothes, shoes are fine.

:star:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i've a shoe rack inside the door, with virgin slippers (never been worn) for the houseguests who forget to bring their own.

I keep a 'Chinese House' in respect to clean floors, so shoes inside are a no no. slippers of any kind is ok, bare is ok.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !