Aussiebeachgirl

Help, overstayed tourist Visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Almost two and a half years ago, I came to the USA on a tourist visa which was valid for 6 months. During that time I thought I had met the man of my dreams. I assumed I would have to go back to Australia and then come back on a Fiance Visa, but this guy took me to an immigration attorney and we were informed we could get married and I didn't have to return to Australia.

Just before my Visa was due to expire, I brought my two dogs over from Australia and we got married. He turned out to be a scam artist and took all my money and then divorced me, before we had lodged all of the paperwork necessary for the start of the immigration process. I was left almost destitute.

I managed to find somewhere to work in exchange for room and board and in the meantime I met another guy. He turned out to be abusive and violent and kept me almost like a prisoner, I have finally managed to get out, but I am scared and confused. I am heading back to Australia. Now that family and friends back in Australia are aware of what has happened, I now have enough money to also take my dogs back to Australia and through quarantine... a very costly exercise, but my dogs have been the only thing that has kept me going during the hell I have been subjected to.

My question is, I am so exhausted and sick from the stress, I also have had to have two major surgeries since I have been in the USA which I had to pay for, so I have no money left at all. I want to know if the customs people at LAX will interogate me when I go to fly back to Australia due my Visa being expired almost 2 years ago.

I understand there is a ten year ban on me coming back to the USA. I dont care, I hate it here now. I have had a horrible experience and been through hell. I never want to come back to this country again. But I am also not strong enough to deal with any officials giving me a hard time and asking questions about my overstaying my visa. I am paranoid, due to the past events that have happened since I have been in this country and all I want is to go home without being harrassed or judged or even questioned. I am mentally so weak and emotionally so unstable at the moment, that I don't think I could even answer any questions without breaking down and sobbing hysterically.

Does anyone know if they will care about me leaving the country. I just want to be left alone and let be to go home.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sorry you went through this. I've never had any experience in this issue but I think they'll just ban you and that's all. Don't think they'll give you a very hard time. If they do just say "Don't worry, I won't come back here". I wish you the best, it's great that you have your dogs and your family to support you.

I'm sorry you went through this. I've never had any experience in this issue but I think they'll just ban you and that's all. Don't think they'll give you a very hard time. If they do just say "Don't worry, I won't come back here". I wish you the best, it's great that you have your dogs and your family to support you.

Thankyou for your support. I hope that the authorities just ban me. I hope that they will just try and stop me if I ever try and come back to the USA and just leave me alone when I am heading home. I would have left earlier but my dogs had to have rabies vaccinations and tests and then remain in the USA for another 180 days before they could go back to Australia, it has been the longest 6 months of my life but I will be home soon and safe.

Almost two and a half years ago, I came to the USA on a tourist visa which was valid for 6 months. During that time I thought I had met the man of my dreams. I assumed I would have to go back to Australia and then come back on a Fiance Visa, but this guy took me to an immigration attorney and we were informed we could get married and I didn't have to return to Australia. Just before my Visa was due to expire, I brought my two dogs over from Australia and we got married. He turned out to be a scam artist and took all my money and then divorced me, before we had lodged all of the paperwork necessary for the start of the immigration process. I was left almost destitute.I managed to find somewhere to work in exchange for room and board and in the meantime I met another guy. He turned out to be abusive and violent and kept me almost like a prisoner, I have finally managed to get out, but I am scared and confused. I am heading back to Australia. Now that family and friends back in Australia are aware of what has happened, I now have enough money to also take my dogs back to Australia and through quarantine... a very costly exercise, but my dogs have been the only thing that has kept me going during the hell I have been subjected to. My question is, I am so exhausted and sick from the stress, I also have had to have two major surgeries since I have been in the USA which I had to pay for, so I have no money left at all. I want to know if the customs people at LAX will interogate me when I go to fly back to Australia due my Visa being expired almost 2 years ago.I understand there is a ten year ban on me coming back to the USA. I dont care, I hate it here now. I have had a horrible experience and been through hell. I never want to come back to this country again. But I am also not strong enough to deal with any officials giving me a hard time and asking questions about my overstaying my visa. I am paranoid, due to the past events that have happened since I have been in this country and all I want is to go home without being harrassed or judged or even questioned. I am mentally so weak and emotionally so unstable at the moment, that I don't think I could even answer any questions without breaking down and sobbing hysterically. Does anyone know if they will care about me leaving the country. I just want to be left alone and let be to go home.

I'm sorry for what you've been through. You'll trigger the 10 year bar once you leave, but that's it.

You won't be interrogated, you won't be asked any questions. There are no exit stamps and no one to check your passport when you leave except the check-in counter and the TSA (airport security). Neither of whom have anything to do with your legal status in the US.

Your passport should have a white I-94 in the back of it. The airline will collect this as you board the plane and that is your departure record. In other words, by the time the government finds out about your overstay, you'll be eating Vegemite and petting dingos :)

Edited by jaejayC

I'm sorry for what you've been through. You'll trigger the 10 year bar once you leave, but that's it.

You won't be interrogated, you won't be asked any questions. There are no exit stamps and no one to check your passport when you leave except the check-in counter and the TSA (airport security). Neither of whom have anything to do with your legal status in the US.

Your passport should have a white I-94 in the back of it. The airline will collect this as you board the plane and that is your departure record. In other words, by the time the government finds out about your overstay, you'll be eating Vegemite and petting dingos :)

Thankyou so much for your reply. I am feeling much more confident about travelling now. I don't think the I-94 is still in my passport. My passport was taken from me by that guy and now I have it back, but there is nothing like that in my passport. I do remember there was a white document stapled to one of the pages of my passport which was stamped, but that is no longer there. Will that be a problem?

Thankyou so much for your reply. I am feeling much more confident about travelling now. I don't think the I-94 is still in my passport. My passport was taken from me by that guy and now I have it back, but there is nothing like that in my passport. I do remember there was a white document stapled to one of the pages of my passport which was stamped, but that is no longer there. Will that be a problem?

That white document was the I-94. I haven't heard of anyone having problems because they lost it. There's no customs or border patrol leaving the U.S., so they couldn't stop you anyway. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear about all of the problems that you incurred while you were in the US. That sounded just plain awful what happened to you. I have to say, the post really tugged at my heart, so I am hoping that things go much better for you when you return back home.

All of the advice that I have ever recieved on this board and forum has been sound advice and very good advice. People have been more than helpful and give out the right information. More than likely, what people are telling you will actually happen when you attempt to leave.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey back home. :)

fj4km4.png

K-1 Visa Timeline
07/15/05: Met for the first time in Ontario, Canada. <3
07/21/10: I-129F sent to Vermont Service Center
07/29/10: I-129F NOA1 received (Approved! biggrin.png)
02/02/11: I-129F NOA2 received (No RFEs biggrin.png)
02/05/11: NVC received
02/09/11: NVC left
02/19/11: Consulate received
03/05/11: Packet 3 received
03/15/11: Packet 3 sent
03/31/11: Packet 4 received
07/26/11: Interview at consulate in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
08/04/11: Visa received
08/07/11: US Entry (from Ottawa to Chicago. No issues at all. biggrin.png)
08/19/11: Married! Finally!

K-1 AOS Timeline
07/15/05: Met for the first time in Ontario, Canada. <3
08/07/11: US Entry (from Ottawa to Chicago. No issues at all. biggrin.png)
08/19/11: Married! Finally!
08/21/11: Courthouse visit to get marriage certificate
08/30/11: Applied for SS card
09/06/11: I-485 and I-785 sent to Chicago Service Center
09/09/11: NOA received for both I-485 and I-785
09/26/11: Received SS card
11/03/11: Biometrics appointment date in Nashville, Tennessee
11/11/11: RFE received for birth certificate
11/15/11: National Benefits Center receives required documentation for RFE
11/25/11: AOS case transferred
12/02/11: EAD (I-785) approved! Yay! Time to work! biggrin.png
12/14/11: EAD card received in the mail. <3
03/09/12: Permanent residency status approved. Card in production!
03/11/12: Permanent resident card in hand. biggrin.png

Please look at timeline for remainder of info!

Thank you all for your kind words. I have to start all over again now back in Australia. I sold my house and everything I owned and now I have nothing, but that is all material things, I have my friends and my family back in Australia. I really do love the USA but the two bad people I met have ruined the time I spent here. I know that you are not all like that, there are good and bad everywhere, I was just too trusting and gullible and met the bad ones. Thanks again for your kind words during this difficult time.. it really means a lot. And I can have a little peace of mind now, knowing that I am not going to be in trouble when I leave. Thankyou

Yep, that white slip stapled in the passport was your I-94 departure record. It's handed over when you leave the country and that's how they know you left. If you don't have it, don't worry. It's the airline that collects it. The airline doesn't care about your legal status. They probably won't ask you for it, as they will just assume you're a visa waiver traveler, in which case you wouldn't have an I-94 at all. Simply put, the US won't know where you are, and if one day they decided to come knocking to deport you.. Well, they won't find you.

For you, this will only be a problem if you ever wanted to return to the US. It has happened before (though rarely) to travelers who either loses it or somehow realize they still have it in their passport after returning. They then have to prove they didn't overstay the next time they intend to go to the US.

If you have no intention of returning to the US any time soon, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Go live your life, and live happy!

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Yep, that white slip stapled in the passport was your I-94 departure record. It's handed over when you leave the country and that's how they know you left. If you don't have it, don't worry. It's the airline that collects it. The airline doesn't care about your legal status. They probably won't ask you for it, as they will just assume you're a visa waiver traveler, in which case you wouldn't have an I-94 at all. Simply put, the US won't know where you are, and if one day they decided to come knocking to deport you.. Well, they won't find you.

For you, this will only be a problem if you ever wanted to return to the US. It has happened before (though rarely) to travelers who either loses it or somehow realize they still have it in their passport after returning. They then have to prove they didn't overstay the next time they intend to go to the US.

If you have no intention of returning to the US any time soon, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Go live your life, and live happy!

hi my friend thinking again is what you want to do,ok.i have one off my friend went back home,the friend wish he can come back to usa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

This was a horrible experience you went through. But not everyone here were as mean as those two. Just witness the love you have been given here. We all wish the best for you. And you are right. When you get back home, your family and friends will try to make all this go away. And as a big dog lover myself, your dogs will not give a hoot about where you live as long as they see you walk through the door. Their love is unconditional. Lastly, no one will care ( government wise) about your leaving. It's coming here that is the hard part. I really wish you the best.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

As everyone has noted, there are no exit controls in the U.S. to stop you leaving and from a US Government perspective, overstays choosing to leave voluntarily is the best option because it costs them nothing and solves the problem.

It doesn't sound like you'll visit again, and I'm sorry you had to endure two dipshits while in the U.S., but just be aware you no longer qualify for Visa Waiver Program and be prepared to apply for a visa if you wish to visit again.

I hope you and your pets have a safe trip back. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.