Rezq n Sarah

Required to buy roundtrip ticket to enter USA?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Today my fiance was told when he went to the Cairo Airport that he was REQUIRED to buy a roundtrip ticket. He tried to explain that he was on K1 Visa but they insisted that the USA required they have a round trip ticket. Is this correct??? It sounds fishy to me. I did some looking online but couldn't find anything that said anything about this! Please help!!

"But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; Let those also who love Your name Be joyful in You. For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous;With favor You will surround him as with a shield." - Psalm 5:11-12 New King James Version (NKJV)

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Egypt

I-129F Sent : 2011-06-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-09

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-11-02

NVC Received : 2011-11-10

Consulate Received : 2011-11-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-12-26

Packet 4 Received : 2012-02-13

Interview Date : 2012-03-25

Interview Result : Administrative Review

Administrative Review Result: Approved

Visa Received : 2012-04-09

US Entry : 2012-04-21

Marriage : 2012-04-28

Comments : HOORAY!!!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 146 days from your NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review

Event Date

Port of Entry : JFK

POE Date : 2012-04-21

Harassment Level : 0

Comments : New Yorkers were awesome to Rezq when he came into JFK. One guard even allowed

him to use his personal phone to call me when he missed his first flight. God is good!

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Omaha NE

Date Filed : 2012-05-07

NOA Date : 2012-05-19

Bio. Appt. : 2012-05-30

Approval Date : 2012-10-11

Greencard Received: 2012-10-29

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I never read anywhere it was "required" but people usually buy round-trip tickets because it is cheaper than buying one-way. With a K-1, the IO at the airport knows your intent is not to leave but immigrate, so having a one-way ticket is understandable.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I never read anywhere it was "required" but people usually buy round-trip tickets because it is cheaper than buying one-way. With a K-1, the IO at the airport knows your intent is not to leave but immigrate, so having a one-way ticket is understandable.

Not always cheaper for RT. Today I look Kiev to New York, $860 RT or $540 one way. However if the airline fear you may be rejected at boarder, perhaps airline policy to require RT in case they must bring you home... Just guessing here.

Timeline

I'm not but have you sent your petition package with a delivery with confirmation? Do you have a tracking number? Has your check been cashed?

i dont think soooooooo. but can you plz tell me what you did did you bay RT?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your fiance is supposed to marry you, the petitioner. therefore, they should know that he has no intention of going home and that should be acceptable. :angry: As far as I know, RT tickets are required only for visitors visa. But if Cairo airport refuses to let him fly w/ one way ticket, maybe you can just follow their damn policy just to avoid this inconvenience. :wacko:

I-129F Sent : 2012 Feb 29

I-129F NOA1 : 2012 Mar 06

I-129F NOA2 : 2012 July 09

NVC case number: 2012 July 24

NVC notice received: 2012 July 30

Medical Exam : 2012 Aug 13-14.. PASSED :)

INTERVIEW : 2012 Sept 13.. PASSED!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, LORD!

VISA DELIVERED: 2012 Sept 19

AOS

sent - dec 7,2012

noa1 - dec10,2012

bio - jan 7,2013

ead approved - feb 1, 2013

ead on hand -

*** TO GOD BE THE GLORY ***

It is not required to have a round trip ticket on a K visa. (laughing) That isnt the only transportation scam you'll ever run into in egypt (I imagine) LOL

Today my fiance was told when he went to the Cairo Airport that he was REQUIRED to buy a roundtrip ticket. He tried to explain that he was on K1 Visa but they insisted that the USA required they have a round trip ticket. Is this correct??? It sounds fishy to me. I did some looking online but couldn't find anything that said anything about this! Please help!!

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is not required to have a round trip ticket on a K visa. (laughing) That isnt the only transportation scam you'll ever run into in egypt (I imagine) LOL

:thumbs:

I-129F Sent : 2012 Feb 29

I-129F NOA1 : 2012 Mar 06

I-129F NOA2 : 2012 July 09

NVC case number: 2012 July 24

NVC notice received: 2012 July 30

Medical Exam : 2012 Aug 13-14.. PASSED :)

INTERVIEW : 2012 Sept 13.. PASSED!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, LORD!

VISA DELIVERED: 2012 Sept 19

AOS

sent - dec 7,2012

noa1 - dec10,2012

bio - jan 7,2013

ead approved - feb 1, 2013

ead on hand -

*** TO GOD BE THE GLORY ***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Whoever stopped him doesn't know the difference between an immigrant and non-immigrant visa.. they just know that anyone going to the states has to have a two way ticket (probably not trying to scam him or anything just plain old ignorance and "following the rules")

I would say it would be hard to convince that person but if he had tried to take it to a higher authority right there without purchasing the return ticket he would have found someone who knew that he didnt need it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Whoever stopped him doesn't know the difference between an immigrant and non-immigrant visa.. they just know that anyone going to the states has to have a two way ticket (probably not trying to scam him or anything just plain old ignorance and "following the rules")

I would say it would be hard to convince that person but if he had tried to take it to a higher authority right there without purchasing the return ticket he would have found someone who knew that he didnt need it.

Technically the K-1 visa is non-immigrant visa. Only after conditions are meet are you allowed to change status to immigrant (AOS)

Timeline

Not true. I got my fiance an electronic ticket- one way. He got here without any issues.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I know that when you buy the ticket and you buy a one way ticket the booking agent will demand to see your visa.I dont know that they can force you to buy a round trip ticket.In most cases the price difference between a one way ticket and a round trip is not that much.

Not required at all. As others have said, it is sometimes cheaper to buy a RT than OW but never a requirement. This is only a requirement to people traveling into other countries that they are not going to be living in, but staying temporarily....like vacation, etc....

Married: 6/17/11

I-130 Sent: 7/9/11

NOA1 : 7/14/11

I-129F Sent: 7/21/11

NOA1: 7/21/11

NOA2: 8/22/11

NVC Received: 8/24/11

NVC Left: 8/26/11

Consulate Received: 9/5/11

Packet 4 Received: 10/4/11

Medical Done: 11/7/11

Interview: 11/23/11

Approved: 11/23/11

Changed to CR1: 12/16/11

Medical Re-Done: 1/5/12

Waiting for Issuance of Visa.........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My fiance came in on a one way ticket.

Met on line: 7-4-2007

Sent petition to Vermont Service Center on 8-11-2010

NOA1 VSC 8-27-10

NOA2 VSC 2-7-11

Interview 5-12-11

Approved 5-12-11

POE: LA/6-15-2011

Married 8-26-2011

AOS: Submitted 10-7-2011

AOS Interview: 2-23-2012 Approved

Green Card Recvd: 2-28-2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.