Mattoya

K-1 being denied is possible?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Dear the expert applicants for K-1 (fiancé visa),

I was just wondering what are the chances of the I-129F being denied? I mean, has there been a case where a K-1 got denied?

Another question, would it possible that a case or petition gets lost in the midst of the piles of other files?

Sigh...I can't bear the uncertainty of waiting!

Thanks guys

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hi there,

I am also waiting on approval for a K-1 visa for my fiance. From what I understand, it is extremely possible for a K-1 application to be denied if sufficent evidence of a bonafide relationship is not established. It is very important to follow the rules of application, and to be sure that your intentions are consistent with the purpose of the K-1 visa in order to avoid denial.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I was just wondering what are the chances of the I-129F being denied? I mean, has there been a case where a K-1 got denied?

Another question, would it possible that a case or petition gets lost in the midst of the piles of other files?

Thanks guys

No one can tell you what the chances are of any I-129F being denied. How well the couple knows each other, and how much evidence they provide will determine their chances of getting a K-1 visa.

There are several reasons why the US Embassy will deny K-1 cases. If a couple fail to meet within the 2 years proceeding the applicant as required, then the K-1 will be denied. If the couple cannot show evidence of a bona fide (real) relationship, then the K-1 will be denied. If the couple fail to meet the Affidavit of Support, then the case will be denied. There are many more reasons.

A case can be misplaced or lost. However, this is rare. When most people don't hear about their cases, their imagination runs wild and they think their case is lost or mishandled. Generally, this is not he case, the US government is a giant bureaucracy, and the case is just taking its time being handled by government workers.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Sure it's possible. Don't worry about your file getting lost, that's being anxious for something that is really really rare and out of your power. You got your NOA1 so now the big thing to do is wait (and get busy to make it easier).

Get as ready as you can for the steps after NOA2.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks guys

I have seen K1 visa petitions denied, for a myriad of issues, just read a week or two of forum threads for details. That being said, this site's stats indicate that, for example, the CSC has been approving aprroximately 80% of the K1 petitions assigned to them. There are certainly some caveats associated with that data, including the relatively small number of VJ members' petitions at CSC versus the much larger total number of petitions received at the CSC, and the accuracy and completeness of the VJ members' timelines, to name but a few. Consider reviewing the USCIS stats at their website and compare their approval stats.

Sure, it is possible for any number of things to go awry with a petition (i.e., lost, destroyed, etc..... ). However, again when keeping it in perspective of the large total number of petitions received at USCIS, the probability of something going awry is likely very low (unless of course, it is your petition that gets lost...lol :lol: ) Maybe a person should be more worried about the reported "end of the world" stories associated with the upcoming end of the current twelve-year cycle of the Mayan calendar. It may happen, it may not. I have found that there are things that I can control, and there are things that I cannot control. I cannot control the activities of the USCIS or the Mayan calendar (to name but a few.... :wacko: ). But, I can control how I respond to those situations.

I find it helpful to try to keep things in perspective; this whole process is a marathon, not a sprint; don't forget to take a deep breath every once in awhile; and be sure to keep your focus on the end result of this whole process.

Relax, sit back and enjoy the wait, things will speed up after your petition is approved. :thumbs:

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Not everyone is being 100% precise above.

The I-129F petition is handled by USCIS. There are stated requirements.

The K-1 visa application is handled by the consulate. There are stated & unstated requirements.

Be careful not to mix up the two, in concept or in print.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As long as you meet the minimum requirements, you shouldn't get denied outright. You may get an RFE (request for evidence) if they are missing something from you.

Important things you need to include with I-129F peition to avoid denial

- meet your partner within 2 years of filing the petition (boarding passes)

- must not be currently married (divorce decree)

- be engaged and willing to marry your partner (letters of intent)

- include pictures and other evidence of relationship

Important things you need after NOA2 (petition approval)to avoid denial

- income must meet requirements for 2 people ($18,912)

- Proof of income (tax returns, pay stubs)

- must not have contagious diseases (or have proof of treatment from Dr.)

- no criminal background/or provide documents regarding record

I think those are it and if you have all that, you should be able to get the 1-129F approved. Also check the guides for exactly what to include...I am too lazy to type out everything lol

Good luck!

Edited by OurHappyEnding

10/25/2011 - Sent I129F to Texas

10/28/2011 - Texas received/Check Cashed

11/01/2011 - NOA1 (6 days after mailing)

03/22/2012 - NOA2 (142 days after NOA1)

04/20/2012 - Received Interview Date (June 4th)

05/22/2012 - Medisys Medical(Done!)

06/04/2012 - Interview in MTL (APPROVED!)

event.png

ticker.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

As long as you meet the minimum requirements, you shouldn't get denied outright. You may get an RFE (request for evidence) if they are missing something from you.

Important things you need to include with I-129F peition to avoid denial

- meet your partner within 2 years of filing the petition (boarding passes)

- must not be currently married (divorce decree)

- be engaged and willing to marry your partner (letters of intent)

- include pictures and other evidence of relationship

Important things you need after NOA2 (petition approval)to avoid denial

- income must meet requirements for 2 people ($18,912)

- Proof of income (tax returns, pay stubs)

- must not have contagious diseases (or have proof of treatment from Dr.)

- no criminal background/or provide documents regarding record

I think those are it and if you have all that, you should be able to get the 1-129F approved. Also check the guides for exactly what to include...I am too lazy to type out everything lol

Good luck!

Thanks, that's a very detail info. We got all the evidences, at least we think so. As far as the meeting in 2 years, I went to the same college with him, so there are really not so much boarding passes. Oh and ya, they would send us RFE right if they think some of our evidences are not enough?

Thank you again.

Thanks everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.