28 posts in this topic

Greetings,

In August of 2011 I met a girl working in prostitution. Although not a normal place to fall in love we have. We have maintained a constant relationship via facebook, email and I've visited her so far 1 time in her home country in South America.

We truly love each other and want to make this happen. She went home to her home country in December of 2011. She has gotten "real" job and left prostitution behind. I've been supplementing her income. On my visit to her home country of I met her 2 children and her family. Things went really well.

Although she has no criminal conviction her passport history will put her into a place that someone from her country doesn't travel to except to engage in prostitution. We don't want to lie to US Government so telling the truth about how / when we met is the only way to go forward.

Since she is technically banned for 10 years from the last date of her prostitution we need to get an i601 waiver or i212 waiver. What chance do you think we would have to get this approved?

Helpful background information. I'm self employed (family business), I have no medical issues. I've never been married before. I'm an active member in my community

She has 2 previous marriages including one where she moved to Europe.

I would love to know any ideas or suggestions? Overall what chance do you think the US Government would allow this?

Greetings,

In August of 2011 I met a girl working in prostitution. Although not a normal place to fall in love we have. We have maintained a constant relationship via facebook, email and I've visited her so far 1 time in her home country in South America.

We truly love each other and want to make this happen. She went home to her home country in December of 2011. She has gotten "real" job and left prostitution behind. I've been supplementing her income. On my visit to her home country of I met her 2 children and her family. Things went really well.

Although she has no criminal conviction her passport history will put her into a place that someone from her country doesn't travel to except to engage in prostitution. We don't want to lie to US Government so telling the truth about how / when we met is the only way to go forward.

Since she is technically banned for 10 years from the last date of her prostitution we need to get an i601 waiver or i212 waiver. What chance do you think we would have to get this approved?

Helpful background information. I'm self employed (family business), I have no medical issues. I've never been married before. I'm an active member in my community

I would love to know any ideas or suggestions? Overall what chance do you think the US Government would allow this?

If I was to devote a year to this? Going to her home country 4 times and spending a few months there would that increase our odds? If I supported her financial for the year and she continued working at a non-skilled job would (fast food) what chances would I have to overcome our past?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You need an I-601 waiver to overcome the inadmissibility. The I-212 waiver is for permission to reapply for admission to the US after being previously removed or deported.

INA 212(a)(2)(D) is waiver authorized. You need to prove that it will be an extreme hardship on YOU if your fiancee is not permitted to immigrate. How are you going to prove that? She's your fiancee and not your wife. You don't have any kids together. You're not dependent on her for financial support. Basically, the only hardship you can demonstrate is that you'll miss her, and the US government will presume you could overcome this hardship by moving to South America.

If you're thoroughly committed to this then you should marry her first. Your chances of approval are better if she's your spouse. Also, I-601 waivers for fiancee's are conditional, and they're revoked if she doesn't marry you within 90 of entering with a K1 visa, or if her adjustment of status is denied. There aren't any such conditions on an I-601 for a spouse.

Spending a lot of time with her in South America is a double edged sword. On the one hand, it helps prove your bona fide relationship for the visa, but the waiver isn't dependent on you having a bona fide relationship. It's dependent on you suffering extreme hardship. That becomes more difficult to prove if you've demonstrated by your actions that you can spend a lot of time in South America without making your life in America more difficult (e.g., losing your job, etc.).

Helping to support her is, again, evidence of a bona fide relationship if you're married. It's not useful evidence if you're only engaged. In fact, it could be seen as a sign of potential fraud for an engaged couple. It does nothing to help prove your extreme hardship.

You might want to consult with a good immigration attorney. There are a few good attorneys, like Laurel Scott, who specialize in waivers.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

If we were to both get new passports and let "enough" time go by that it didn't look suspicious could we "hide" us meeting or showing up on an island away from her home country? Possible to alter the timeline of how / when we first met?

How much digging would they do?

Does USA have passport info from entry / exit from other countries?

But from reading i601 waiver info I don't think I would qualify for extreme hardship. Parts of it look like it could be approved just on her being rehabilitated.

I'm well enough I live better then most of people. I can't move to South America but I can't walk away from how I feel. I've been lonely for so long. I rather be dead then alone again.

I know in my heart we would get caught. I'm horrible with lies.

Please any suggestions would be very helpful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Lying is NOT a good idea. No matter how miniscule the chances of getting caught, the chances are always there. This is the best advice anyone can ever give you. NEVER lie, and especially never ever lie when seeking an immigration benefit. If you are caught, the intending immigrant (and possibly you yourself, if you are an LPR or gained citizenship through naturalization), could be disbarred/deported from the USA permanently.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Lying is NOT a good idea.

this is the best idea.

if all things fail, you may consider moving your business to her country. maybe you will be the next powerful local businessman there :star:

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Greetings,

I know with prostitution waivers, it's very important to show rehabilitation, along with extreme hardship to the USC. The more time that passes since she stoped engaging in prostitution, the better for your case. Extreme hardship comes in different forms, and does not necessarily have to be You with the medical problem, or urgent matter. For example: You care for your elderly father who has a heart condition, diabetes, liver disease etc. Without your help taking care of him and bringing him to doctor appts, cooking meals for him, bathing him etc. his condition would be grave. Of course you have to back this up with proof. If you consult with an attorney they should be able to tell you have a chance at a waiver.

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

I know with prostitution waivers, it's very important to show rehabilitation, along with extreme hardship to the USC. The more time that passes since she stoped engaging in prostitution, the better for your case. Extreme hardship comes in different forms, and does not necessarily have to be You with the medical problem, or urgent matter. For example: You care for your elderly father who has a heart condition, diabetes, liver disease etc. Without your help taking care of him and bringing him to doctor appts, cooking meals for him, bathing him etc. his condition would be grave. Of course you have to back this up with proof. If you consult with an attorney they should be able to tell you have a chance at a waiver.

If a sincere effort was made for rehabilitation what kind of time frame would we be looking at? I'm willing to spend the money on a decent attorney / psychologist to make this happen. I was even thinking I could go live there with her for 2 months. Maybe attend church marriage counseling? Think that would help?

Ironically this week 12 US Secret Service decided to use prostitutes in Colombia. Then wouldn't pay them... Makes us look like Hippocrates.

Timeline

If a sincere effort was made for rehabilitation what kind of time frame would we be looking at? I'm willing to spend the money on a decent attorney / psychologist to make this happen. I was even thinking I could go live there with her for 2 months. Maybe attend church marriage counseling? Think that would help?

Ironically this week 12 US Secret Service decided to use prostitutes in Colombia. Then wouldn't pay them... Makes us look like Hippocrates.

I honestly don't know how long is long enough for being considered rehabilitated. I only know 15yrs or more for CIMT can be considered a good thing. Definitely ask a lawyer what they think and to give you some examples of good ways you can prove rehabilitation. Counseling, psychologist/therapist, a regular job (and get an employer letter saying how she is a valued employee..something to that effect) Counseling through the church would probably be a great thing because a letter from a clergyman saying "she is a good moral citizen and member of the church, and how he feels certain she would never engage in prostitution again" can be a good piece of rehab. See if she can volunteer at some sort of official agency...then after a little while, get a letter from them. It seems you will have a hard time proving extreme hardship to you though? If you haven't already, you should join immigrate2us.net. Its not an easy task putting a waiver together. I hope you can work something out.

Married Sept.3,2010

I honestly don't know how long is long enough for being considered rehabilitated. I only know 15yrs or more for CIMT can be considered a good thing. Definitely ask a lawyer what they think and to give you some examples of good ways you can prove rehabilitation. Counseling, psychologist/therapist, a regular job (and get an employer letter saying how she is a valued employee..something to that effect) Counseling through the church would probably be a great thing because a letter from a clergyman saying "she is a good moral citizen and member of the church, and how he feels certain she would never engage in prostitution again" can be a good piece of rehab. See if she can volunteer at some sort of official agency...then after a little while, get a letter from them. It seems you will have a hard time proving extreme hardship to you though? If you haven't already, you should join immigrate2us.net. Its not an easy task putting a waiver together. I hope you can work something out.

Sadly from everything I have read about hardship letter there isn't anything that would apply to me. I'm healthy as an ox... Well off and don't have any sick relatives.. I own 3 restaurants that require my constant attention. But the only thing I could possible prove is why I can't move permanently to Colombia. Not why I can't live here without her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is a time to invest in one of the very best lawyers in this type of immigration case. That is not the one with the biggest ad in the phone book or late night TV. If you have the extra money, spend a week finding out who the best are and do a consulate with about 3 of them. Be dead honest, and take notes about what they tell you. Pick the one you like the best ( who is one of the top 10 ) Laurel Scott has already been mentioned, Marc Ellis is good but tends more to unjest denials ( you are looking for a speciliast ) and I have also heard of a Heather Poole. If one of the ones you decide to talk to isn't interested don't be afraid to ask them for a suggestion.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Talk to a lawyer who has done these types of waivers before, you might be surprised what they come up with. Don't get discouraged yet! Maybe your successful business here and the economic problems in her country, along with rehabilitation will be enough for a case like yours!?

Married Sept.3,2010

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

You prove extreme hardship showing why you can't live in Colombia!!!! you can say because you have a great business in the USA and you won't be able to have the same quality of life and business in Colombia, show and prove the criminality in Colombia is high, different language,family ties in the US,lack of employment in Colombia, tell them that you plan to have children and you want your kids grow up having the same opportunities you had in the USA, show and proof the health system in Colombia sucks.Hardship is not just about being sick or having someone sick in your family, you can argue about high crime rate in Colombia, lack of jobs in Colombia, language barrier,poor health system there, financially dependent on the USA,old parents, about the ties with your family and community etc...

Good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You prove extreme hardship showing why you can't live in Colombia!!!! you can say because you have a great business in the USA and you won't be able to have the same quality of life and business in Colombia, show and prove the criminality in Colombia is high, different language,family ties in the US,lack of employment in Colombia, tell them that you plan to have children and you want your kids grow up having the same opportunities you had in the USA, show and proof the health system in Colombia sucks.Hardship is not just about being sick or having someone sick in your family, you can argue about high crime rate in Colombia, lack of jobs in Colombia, language barrier,poor health system there, financially dependent on the USA,old parents, about the ties with your family and community etc...

Good luck

Damn, if I weren't Colombian and read your post I would stay away from it at all costs. I know you're trying to give some sort of help but at the same time you're putting down a country where life may not be as "easy" as it is in the US but is not as horrible as you want to paint it.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Diana I am not "painting" Colombia as a bad Country, it is what it is.In the last four years I submitted more than forty waivers just in Colombia and I never had one single waiver denied! Just check the Amnesty International web site, check the US Department of State, Wikipedia etc... Colombia is 5th most dangerous country on earth!

http://colombiareports.com/colombia-news/news/19996-colombia-is-5th-most-dangerous-place-on-earth-study.html

I was born in Brazil and in the last fifteen years I submitted more than three hundred waivers in Peru( Peru adjudicates the waivers from Brazil).My Country is better than Colombia, but is terrible as well. The waiver we prove hardship showing the differences between the two Countries .I didn't mean to offend anyone, but numbers speaks volume.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_941.html

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/y/homicide.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)(USA is number 1 Colombia 57)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita-

Edited by sandranj

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.