^_^

Multiculturalism: When Will the Sleeper Wake?

59 posts in this topic

My favorite food-cart conglomerate has a Thai cart, Filipino cart, Indian cart, Salvadoran cart, Mexican cart, Korean cart, Cuban cart, Japanese cart, espresso cart, and a hot dog cart. I think there's a new Lebanese cart there too, that I haven't tried yet. They all get along just fine. And a wide array of people eat there. The lady I was waiting in line with for Thai curry the other day and chatting with was originally from Mexico. She works across the street from my husband, and lives in our old neighborhood.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/16/us-germany-merkel-immigration-idUSTRE69F1K320101016

Merkel says German multiculturalism has failed

By Sabine Siebold

POTSDAM, Germany | Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:46pm EDT

Reuters) - Germany's attempt to create a multicultural society has "utterly failed," Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Saturday, adding fuel to a debate over immigration and Islam polarizing her conservative camp.

Speaking to a meeting of young members of her Christian Democrats (CDU), Merkel said allowing people of different cultural backgrounds to live side by side without integrating had not worked in a country that is home to some four million Muslims.

"This (multicultural) approach has failed, utterly failed," Merkel told the meeting in Potsdam, south of Berlin.

Merkel faces pressure from within her CDU to take a tougher line on immigrants who don't show a willingness to adapt to German society and her comments appeared intended to pacify her critics.

She said too little had been required of immigrants in the past and repeated her usual line that they should learn German in order to get by in school and have opportunities on the labor market.

The debate over foreigners in Germany has shifted since former central banker Thilo Sarrazin published a book accusing Muslim immigrants of lowering the intelligence of German society.

Sarrazin was censured for his views and dismissed from the Bundesbank, but his book proved highly popular and polls showed a majority of Germans agreed with the thrust of his arguments.

Merkel has tried to accommodate both sides of the debate, talking tough on integration but also telling Germans that they must accept that mosques have become part of their landscape.

She said on Saturday that the education of unemployed Germans should take priority over recruiting workers from abroad, while noting Germany could not get by without skilled foreign workers.

In a weekend newspaper interivew, her Labor Minister Ursula von der Leyen (CDU) raised the possibility of lowering barriers to entry for some foreign workers in order to fight the lack of skilled workers in Europe's largest economy.

"For a few years, more people have been leaving our country than entering it," she told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung. "Wherever it is possible, we must lower the entry hurdles for those who bring the country forward."

The German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (DIHK) says Germany lacks about 400,000 skilled workers.

Yet Horst Seehofer, chairman of the Christian Social Union (CSU), the CDU's sister party, has rejected any relaxation of immigration laws and said last week there was no room in Germany for more people from "alien cultures."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8317497/Nicolas-Sarkozy-declares-multiculturalism-had-failed.html

Nicolas Sarkozy declares multiculturalism had failed

French president Nicolas Sarkozy on Thursday declared that multiculturalism had failed, joining a growing number of world leaders or ex-leaders who have condemned it.

1:32AM GMT 11 Feb 2011

"We have been too concerned about the identity of the person who was arriving and not enough about the identity of the country that was receiving him," he said in a television interview in which he declared the concept a "failure".

Prime Minister David Cameron last month pronounced his country's long-standing policy of multiculturalism a failure, calling for better integration of young Muslims to combat home-grown extremism.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Australia's former prime minister John Howard and former Spanish prime minister Jose Maria Aznar have also in recent months said multicultural policies have not successfully integrated immigrants.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/02/05/uk-britain-radicalisation-idUKTRE71401G20110205

Multiculturalism has failed in Britain - Cameron

By Matt Falloon

LONDON | Sat Feb 5, 2011 11:35am GMT

(Reuters) - State multiculturalism has failed and left young Muslims vulnerable to radicalization, Prime Minister David Cameron will say on Saturday, arguing for a more active policy to heal divisions and promote Western values.

Cameron, in a speech to a security conference in Munich, will argue that Britain and other European nations need to "wake up to what is happening in our countries" as well as tackling terrorism through military operations overseas.

"It is time to turn the page on the failed policies of the past," he will say, according to extracts from his speech released by his office.

"So first, instead of ignoring this extremist ideology, we -- as governments and societies -- have got to confront it, in all its forms."

His comments echo those made by German leader Angela Merkel last year and reflect a push by European governments to better integrate immigrants, given persistent domestic tensions between different cultures.

Conservative leader Cameron will also deny that cuts to defence spending as part of efforts to tackle a record budget deficit mean that Britain was retreating from an "activist" global role.

"That is the complete reversal of the truth," he will say. "Yes, we are dealing with the deficit, but we are also making sure our defences are strong."

DIRECTION OF TRAVEL

Aides say his comments on multiculturalism and radicalization give a direction of travel for future policy, and it remains unclear how the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition intend to turn his vision into a reality.

Critics point out that Western foreign policy in the Middle East and beyond, not just a clash of cultures at home, has played a big part in stirring up anti-Western sentiment.

"Under the doctrine of state multiculturalism, we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from each other and the mainstream," Cameron will say.

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong ... All this leaves some young Muslims feeling rootless."

Some members of Cameron's centre-right Conservative party, activists in right-wing movements and some voters believe that Britain has become a safe haven for people with anti-Western political views.

Others argue this tolerant approach is the lifeblood of any open and thriving democracy, fearing a crackdown on civil liberties would undermine the kind of society the government was seeking to establish.

Cameron said it was time to replace Britain's "passive tolerance" with an "active, muscular liberalism" to send a message that life in Britain revolves around certain key values such as freedom of speech, equal rights and the rule of law.

"A passively tolerant society ... stands neutral between different values," he will say. "A genuinely liberal country does much more. It believes in certain values and actively promotes them."

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Forget the findings of world leaders and facts.... we have Skittles and boxes of Crayons to enlighten us.

:whistle:

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My favorite food-cart conglomerate has a Thai cart, Filipino cart, Indian cart, Salvadoran cart, Mexican cart, Korean cart, Cuban cart, Japanese cart, espresso cart, and a hot dog cart. I think there's a new Lebanese cart there too, that I haven't tried yet. They all get along just fine. And a wide array of people eat there. The lady I was waiting in line with for Thai curry the other day and chatting with was originally from Mexico. She works across the street from my husband, and lives in our old neighborhood.

Well thats it.

If we would just import more food choices around the world and throughout communities PEACE would break out everywhere.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

Exactly. It has failed everywhere and it will, eventually fail, in the United States. Crayons and multiethnicities can not be compared to each other. Also, I just finished reading 'Suicide of a Superpower' by Pat Buchanan. For anybody interested in further reading about this topic and it's adverse effect to my beloved USA, I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

Timeline

You stated that multiculturalism has unequivocally failed. Perhaps you could put that in concrete terms as to what exactly you mean and what you think to be the solution. For example, do you envision this country to be predominantly White and do you wish for it to remain that way? I know Buchanan does.

I am a white Christian and I don't support those ideas. If Buchanan does so what?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Several posts containing personal attacks and posts related to these personal attacks have been removed. You can disagree with someone's stated opinions but you do not have the right to make personal attacks or insult them

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Several posts containing personal attacks and posts related to these personal attacks have been removed. You can disagree with someone's stated opinions but you do not have the right to make personal attacks or insult them

That rule applies in P&R too?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a white Christian and I don't support those ideas. If Buchanan does so what?

Scramjet made a reference to Buchanan and seems to agree with Buchanan on issues like multiculturalism. He's not the first one here to say so either. In fact, there are a lot of members here who are concerned or fearful of this country losing its cultural identity. An identity that to them is Christian and White.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That rule applies in P&R too?

Yes.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE WEB SITE OR ANY SERVICES OFFERED BY VISAJOURNEY.COM. BY ACCESSING ANY SERVICE OR WEBSITE OF VISAJOURNEY.COM, YOU ACCEPT, WITHOUT LIMITATION OR QUALIFICATION, ALL OF THE TOS AS STATED BELOW. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE TOS, YOU SHOULD NOT ACCESS OR USE ANY WEB SITE OR SERVICE OFFERED BY VISAJOURNEY.COM

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!