gregandsophan

k1 marriage ceremony

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Please read through the entire post before replying.

Cambodia has a law restricting foreign men from marrying Cambodian women to those under 50 years of age and earning 2,500 USD a month. I'm sure some of you have heard about this.

My fiancee and I had a strictly ceremonial wedding long before we filed for a k1 visa. In America we understand that an actual legally recognized wedding is different from a ceremony, the same way that I can write a Lawyer's Bar Exam test and give it to my cousin, do a little dance, swear on a Bible, and my cousin still isn't a lawyer.

Our ceremony basically amounted to a couple friends and family, roasted pig and lots of beer. If we went to the Cambodian government claiming to be married they would tell us to jump off a cliff.

I, judging by my posts of many members of this website, appeared to have made a colossal mistake by including a photo of said ceremony in our k1 visa application.

I understand that in Nigeria (or apparently England) having any ceremony at is a legal marriage, but as far as I know, in Cambodia, it's just a party, and I would assume that the US Embassy personnel would be aware of that.

If, instead of filing a k1 we filed for a cr1, we would be required to show proof of that wedding by providing a legal document issued by the Cambodian government.

Does anyone have any actual first hand knowledge or experience with this sort of situation? Almost everyone says that it will lead to a denial at the Embassy, but almost everyone also believes that you can get rid of your belly fat by doing situps. (It's not true by the way, fat burning is not localized).

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You make a lot of analogies. But it will come down to what the consulate believes happened.

Is Cambodia a high fraud country?

If the consulate believe it was a simple ceremony then you're fine, if not then you will be denied

Good luck - hopefully others with more direct knowledge of your consulate and the type of ceremoney performed will reply.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Cambodia has a law restricting foreign men from marrying Cambodian women to those under 50 years of age and earning 2,500 USD a month. I'm sure some of you have heard about this.

My fiancee and I had a strictly ceremonial wedding long before we filed for a k1 visa. In America we understand that an actual legally recognized wedding is different from a ceremony, the same way that I can write a Lawyer's Bar Exam test and give it to my cousin, do a little dance, swear on a Bible, and my cousin still isn't a lawyer.

Our ceremony basically amounted to a couple friends and family, roasted pig and lots of beer. If we went to the Cambodian government claiming to be married they would tell us to jump off a cliff.

I, judging by my posts of many members of this website, appeared to have made a colossal mistake by including a photo of said ceremony in our k1 visa application.

I understand that in Nigeria (or apparently England) having any ceremony at is a legal marriage, but as far as I know, in Cambodia, it's just a party, and I would assume that the US Embassy personnel would be aware of that.

If, instead of filing a k1 we filed for a cr1, we would be required to show proof of that wedding by providing a legal document issued by the Cambodian government.

Does anyone have any actual first hand knowledge or experience with this sort of situation? Almost everyone says that it will lead to a denial at the Embassy, but almost everyone also believes that you can get rid of your belly fat by doing situps. (It's not true by the way, fat burning is not localized).

Thanks

First, I really like your hilarious sarcasm.

However, in EGYPT (and most MENA countries that practice islam) there have been denials out of symbolic ceremonies or islamic ceremonies as it puts you in "limbo." There have also been denials out of previous islamic marriages that end up in divorce, but no paperwork proves that claim. I do not know how the Cambodian embassy works. A simple wedding picture with witnesses may trigger AP, at best. So, "strictly ceremonial" falls in the symbolic wedding category. If the picture doesn't look like an actual wedding, you may claim it was an engagement party.

Did you provide chat logs and emails as evidence? Do you refer to each other as husband/ wife? If you do, that's another problem.

Good luck!

Edited by NY_BX

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not know about Nigeria but England does not regulate Marriages.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Thanks

In Cambodia there are two types of ceremony. One is engagement ceremony, the other one is marriage ceremony or wedding. Everyone can tell by looking at the photos if it is engagement or marriage. So DO NOT assume they don't know or can not distinguish between engagement or marriage at the interview.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Timeline

In Cambodia there are two types of ceremony. One is engagement ceremony, the other one is marriage ceremony or wedding. Everyone can tell by looking at the photos if it is engagement or marriage. So DO NOT assume they don't know or can not distinguish between engagement or marriage at the interview.

sure, just like in the states you can tell the difference between an engagement and wedding ceremony. it doesn't mean they are legally recognized, which is the issue. and if it's not legally recognized, will the embassy personel care?

Timeline

sure, just like in the states you can tell the difference between an engagement and wedding ceremony. it doesn't mean they are legally recognized, which is the issue. and if it's not legally recognized, will the embassy personel care?

The issue is that, it comes across as you're "lying." So, they do care; they'll ask: "Are you married or not? There's a picture of you getting married, but you failed to provide documentation (basically because you don't have it)." You can explain everything you explained here and that may fly by. Or you may be correct, they may know about the law and have certain exceptions. Or they may ask you to get the documentation/ marriage certificate and apply for a spousal visa.

Bottom line, each case is unique. If Cambodia is a high fraud country, then you may encounter a bigger obstacle. If not, the consular may be a little bit more understanding. If this were Nigeria, Morocco or Egypt, you would be denied.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

What were you guys wearing- traditional/ Western wedding attire or just casual dress? What captions, if any, did you put under the photos when submitting as evidence? Was it a party, or an engamenet ceremony, or a mock wedding? If it was clearly one or 2, you should be fine.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

What were you guys wearing- traditional/ Western wedding attire or just casual dress? What captions, if any, did you put under the photos when submitting as evidence? Was it a party, or an engamenet ceremony, or a mock wedding? If it was clearly one or 2, you should be fine.

sorry for being cross, but everyone seems to think we will be denied. is this from personal experience or just "common sense"? sorry i don't mean to come across as a ****head but it means quite different things.

Timeline

We never signed anything, never went to the Cambodian government about anything. IF we had I would have been required to show proof of a ridiculously high level of income, of which I simply don't have.

If the US doesn't recognize a marriage unless it's recognized as legal in the country in which it takes place, then we aren't married. It was just a ceremony to make the gramma happy and for the relatives to have an excuse to drink beer.

The whole reason we aren't doing the CR1 route is because we CAN'T get married in Cambodia first.

Edited by gregandsophan

Timeline

We never signed anything, never went to the Cambodian government about anything. IF we had I would have been required to show proof of a ridiculously high level of income, of which I simply don't have.

If the US doesn't recognize a marriage unless it's recognized as legal in the country in which it takes place, then we aren't married. It was just a ceremony to make the gramma happy and for the relatives to have an excuse to drink beer.

The whole reason we aren't doing the CR1 route is because we CAN'T get married in Cambodia first.

Then explain this to the consular when the interview comes. Do you plan to attend the interview with your fiancee? No one has said you WILL be denied. What we are saying is that you MAY encounter some obstacles. It is highly recommended that symbolic ceremonies are held until after K-1 visa approval, just to avoid any confusion that may lead to lengthy AP or denial.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Then explain this to the consular when the interview comes. Do you plan to attend the interview with your fiancee? No one has said you WILL be denied. What we are saying is that you MAY encounter some obstacles. It is highly recommended that symbolic ceremonies are held until after K-1 visa approval, just to avoid any confusion that may lead to lengthy AP or denial.

I'm agreeing with this. I sat and watched 4+ hours of people being denied in Phnom Penh. About 5 out of 30 interviews that morning passed. 90 percent of k-1's were denied.

The interviewing officer will be able to tell right away looking at the picture's if it was a wedding or engagement. They know the culture very well and will see that as a red flag. I don't know your age but since you brought up that law, If there's an age gap. They will really scrutinize her at the interview.They may see it as trying to skirt around that law. A question may be asked 3 times in different forms just to see if the same answer is given. If you're dealing with the Cambodian government, money talks. With the U.S. Consulate, you better have your stuff straight.

If you have the money. Being there at the interview will help support the case. You would have time to gather more evidence. (Pictures, receipts etc) It might be an up hill battle if you're not prepared.

• 8 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I'm agreeing with this. I sat and watched 4+ hours of people being denied in Phnom Penh. About 5 out of 30 interviews that morning passed. 90 percent of k-1's were denied.

90% of K1's were denied? How sure are you of these statistics, because that is a very scary situation. I was under the impression that k1's were a tad bit easier than, say, a B2 Visa.

PD - Jan 31st 2013

Local Field Office - Washington DC (Fairfax)

NOA2 - August 23 2013

======

NVC Received - 11th September

NVC Assigned - 17th September

DS261 Filled - 20th September

AOS generated - 20th September

AOS paid - 21st September

DS261 Rec'd - 23rd September

AOS Package Rec'd - 30th September

IV Generated - 7th October

IV Paid - 7th October

IV Package Rec'd - 18th October

Checklist For AOS - 29th October

Checklist Responded - 29th October

New AOS Package Rec'd - 30th October

=======

AOS Accepted -

CASE COMPLETE -

Interview -

POE -

owAmp5.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

90% of K1's were denied? How sure are you of these statistics, because that is a very scary situation. I was under the impression that k1's were a tad bit easier than, say, a B2 Visa.

It's not scary, it's reality. Depending on the fiance(e)'s country, obtaining a K-1 visa can be a daunting proposition. In "high-fraud" countries (their term, not necessarily mine), i.e., MENA, a large part of Asia, Africa, the burden of proof is on the petitioner and beneficiary/applicant to be able to convince the interviewing CO that you are not fake and that your application is not fraudulent. I agree with SupastarsaM, it can be an uphill battle if you are not prepared.

YMMV.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.