EuroMan

Citizenship and Annullment

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hey folks,

I am new on here but like a few advice if possible.

I came to the US from Manchester England in 2005 on a K3 visa, my ex-wife is a USC, and received my ten year GC a few months later.

My wife and I had a falling out and we took time apart, she filed for annullment base on fraud and was granted it. I wasn't aware of the annullment or her allegations of fraud,

I wasn't aware of the annullment and only found out a few months ago, we're both on speaking terms and occasionally have a few romps.

My question is can I file for my citizenship based on the 5 year rule, and will this revoke my GC? She's willing to write a letter stating that she was angry and annulled the marriage out of spite,

Furthermore shouldn't I have been contacted to contest the annullment?

Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey folks,

I came to the US from Manchester England in 2005 on a K3 visa, my ex-wife is a USC, and received my ten year GC a few months later.

My wife and I had a falling out and we took time apart, she filed for annullment base on fraud and was granted it. I wasn't aware of the annullment or her allegations of fraud,

I wasn't aware of the annullment and only found out a few months ago, we're both on speaking terms and occasionally have a few romps.

My question is can I file for my citizenship based on the 5 year rule, and will this revoke my GC? She's willing to write a letter stating that she was angry and annulled the marriage out of spite,

Thanks

Hmm . . .

Normally, in the true sense of the term, your only requirement at the 5 year mark is that you have been a Green Card holder. Your marriage is of no concern anymore. Now . . . you will need to provide the divorce decree, which you don't have if your marriage was annulled. For USCIS purposes, an annulment is as good as a divorce. The only thing I do not know is if on your . . . um . . . paperwork it states that the marriage was annulled because of fraud. If that's the case, I'd say you may have a problem.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hey folks,

Thanks

You may want to meet with an atty with all the case details and seek advice. Not knowing what is the fraud charge and its base we can not make suggestions for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey folks,

Thanks

Divorce can occur by "notification" in that if you don't know where someone lives you can put an announcement in the paper where you think they used to live and do it that way... I assume annulment is similar.

First things first. You need a copy of your annulment or whatever decree. You need to find out where she filed and get a copy from there. Once you get it you then need to read it. Does it mention fraud? Does it mention that you were unable to be contacted? Does it mention a newspaper notice or anything as a method of trying to contact you?

THEN depending on those things it depends on how you act. If believe if she KNEW where you were living and lied to the courts about NOT knowing she could be in trouble. This may be grounds for you getting the annulment vacated (if possible in your state) which basically would mean you're still married and will need to get a divorce. Really depends on your state, depends on the paperwork etc etc.

Long story short. Get a copy. Read it. See a lawyer if its bad and mentions fraud. If its not then just file as normal. It's unlikely that even WITH the suggestion of fraud that it would affect your N-400 application, especially if you can prove she did it all without you knowing about it (admitting to fraud would be an entirely different matter).

Timeline

Thanks folks, I got the annullment decree and in her reason for annullment it was alledge I committed fraud.

She had placed a publication in the newspaper and also sent a formal notice to my parents address, (they didn't see any letter from her or her lawyer) .

I was and am a truck driver and usually go on the road for weeks at a time, I've contacted the courts about having the annullment overturn but they're saying it's been long ago (2006) and might be a futile effort on my part. Really confused and worried

Timeline

Thanks folks, I got the annullment decree and in her reason for annullment it was alledge I committed fraud.

She had placed a publication in the newspaper and also sent a formal notice to my parents address, (they didn't see any letter from her or her lawyer) .

I was and am a truck driver and usually go on the road for weeks at a time, I've contacted the courts about having the annullment overturn but they're saying it's been long ago (2006) and might be a futile effort on my part. Really confused and worried

You can goto court house or state division of records and get a copy of the annulment record. It is different from decree and it just might say the marriage annulled with out any details. If that is the case then you are in much better shape. It costs only $5-$10 to get one of those and you can always show that to IO. I doubt they will ask for the decree from court. I would say get the certificate and see what says and then you can talk to an atty. I personally would not file for N400 until I check with an Atty and find out the details. Worst case you can remain as a LPR than getting it more troubles with out your knowledge.

Timeline

I go to the courthouse and have the "Dissolution without children" the court annulled it, it's in her testimony she alledge it was fraudulent.

But the court order was Marriage dissolved without children, don't know if Immigration is going to go into the details about why and what not,

Timeline

I go to the courthouse and have the "Dissolution without children" the court annulled it, it's in her testimony she alledge it was fraudulent.

But the court order was Marriage dissolved without children, don't know if Immigration is going to go into the details about why and what not,

Do not goto court. Your state should have an office where they keep the vital records like birth, death, marriage, divorce. All it shows is a divorce or annulment and does not show the history. Not sure what state you are located in, try to find out the contact info. I know I got certificates from Virginia and New Hampshire vital records division. It is worth checking and see what it says. Again unless you are applying based on a 3 year married to USC not sure why they would ask for divorce certificate. My suggestion and best bet find out where is the vital records division is located in your state and get it. If you can not go in person you can also apply online and get the certificate.

Timeline

I already have a copy of The annullment and the Final Verdict is Dissolution withouth children and she keeps all her property and I keep all mine (which she didn't give me, cuz I didn't know) .

Going to seek an attorney advice before I file, don't know if USCIS is going to have the entire folder (from the court) or just the verdict on my interview day, and I am applying base on my 5 years eligilibility.

Thanks a lot tho.

Filed: Timeline

I already have a copy of The annullment and the Final Verdict is Dissolution withouth children and she keeps all her property and I keep all mine (which she didn't give me, cuz I didn't know) .

Going to seek an attorney advice before I file, don't know if USCIS is going to have the entire folder (from the court) or just the verdict on my interview day, and I am applying base on my 5 years eligilibility.

Thanks a lot tho.

Best Idea!! Do not complicate things all by yourself. Seek the help of an attorney who specializes in cases similar to yours and then proceed. Good Luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You need a lawyer. As Brother Hesekiel says, the annulment itself isn't an issue, but the fraud could be.

Not sure I'd fully trust the ex, but you may want to ask her what evidence she presented of the fraud (ie immigration related, saying you were married to someone else, or....?).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm just curious about you saying " She's willing to write a letter stating that she was angry and annulled the marriage out of spite". Wouldn't she be in a bit of trouble for such an allegation. I mean she got an annulment which is no small matter based on a lie. Just wondering.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

@ dweehls I guess she doesn't know the ramifications.

I've spoken to few lawyers and most of them thing it's possible to apply and it's not a big deal just have to prove the marriage was entered in good faith. Don't know how to do otherwise, guess its up to the immigration officer at the time of interview to decide my fate, I am praying not to cause unnecessary problems for myself

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

50 different states, 50 different marriage laws. In Wisconsin:

"Annulment is distinct from divorce in that a divorce terminates a previously valid marriage. Remember that the key to an annulment is that the marriage was never a valid one in the eyes of the law."

And what is considered valid has a whole list of reasons, fraud is one of them, but unheard of for me, that this can be proven in a court of law without the other spouse at least having an attempt to defend themselves.

So has my curious risen as to which state this marriage was performed, ha, may want to move there.

Did you ever contest this decision? Or just go along with it because it was fraud? According to the USCIS, if you were married under fraud, you came here under fraud. They don't like that.

Timeline

I am confused though. I thought they give a 2 year GC and then apply for the ROC for 10 year card. I wonder if OP went through that process of ROC. Is ROC only for people some certain countries or required for applicants from all countries?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.