TBoneTX

TSA Pats Down 3-Year-Old in Wheelchair

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116881/TSA-subject-child-wheelchair-invasive-airport-security-tests-Chicago.html

---------------

Father's outrage as TSA subjects his wheelchair-bound three-year-old son to humiliating search... on his way to Disney

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 00:54 EST, 19 March 2012 | UPDATED: 10:19 EST, 19 March 2012

A vacation in the Magic Kingdom should be enough to make a child giddy with excitement, but one young boy was left trembling with fear after he was subjected to an invasive TSA pat-down.

The three-year-old, confined to a wheelchair due to a recently broken leg, was with his family at O'Hare Airport in Chicago, on their way to board a flight to Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

Despite constant assurances from his father that 'everything is OK', he physically trembles with fear and asks his parents to hold his hand.

While the boy's father grew increasingly incensed by the treatment his son was getting, he tried to remain calm, for the boy's sake. He filmed the entire process and later posted it on YouTube.

Despite such strict security for this toddler, the TSA is offering background-checked travellers the chance to use special lines and keep their shoes, belt and jacket on, leave laptops and liquids in carry-on bags and avoid a full-body scan - for a price.

The TSA's new fast track 'Precheck' screening, now at two airlines and nine airports, is similar to security checks before 9/11, reports the Wall Street Journal.

To qualify, frequent fliers must be invited by airlines and meet an undisclosed TSA criteria.

A $100 fee for a background check is required as well as a brief interview with a Customs officer. However, approved travelers who are in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's 'Global Entry' program can transfer into Precheck, according to the Journal.

'It's a completely different experience than what you're used to,' Matt Stegmeir, a platinum-level Delta Air Lines frequent flier who was invited into Precheck, told the Journal.

'It's really a jarring contrast. It reminds you just how much of a hassle the security procedures in place really are.'

The program can improve screening of unknown passengers if it can move low-risk people out of the main queues.

'We can reduce the size of the haystack when we are looking for that one-in-a-billion terrorist,' TSA Administrator John Pistole told the Journal.

Mr Pistole added that by studying frequent-flier histories as well as conducting background checks, he's confident the U.S. now has the technology and the intelligence information to make less-rigorous, faster screening work.

TSA is working with only two airlines, American and Delta, on program which is still in the pilot phase.

Precheck lanes are already in place only at nine airports including Dallas-Fort Worth, New York Kennedy, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Detroit , Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and Minneapolis-St. Paul.

By the end of the year Precheck will be in place at 35 airports and six airlines, covering most major U.S. airports and airlines, reports the Journal.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

e8f48ed31d25ec08c99fac06741a26e6.jpg

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Heil United Nazi States of America!

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Typical Daily Mail story.

I guess they call talking quietly/under your breath being outraged these days ?

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Typical Daily Mail story.

I guess they call talking quietly/under your breath being outraged these days ?

not everyone needs to SCREAM when showing outrage.

some people actually maintain a level voice while inwardly seething and plotting their move to show the outrage in a more constructive manner ...

some people actually maintain a level voice while inwardly seething and plotting their move to show the outrage in a more constructive manner ...

:thumbs:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

...then they go home and do absolutely nothing :lol:

K-1
NOA1 Nov 25th 2011
NOA2 May 30th 2012 (not a typo, 187 days no RFE)
Left NVC Jun 18th 2012
Medical Jun 28th 2012
Pkt 3 sent Jul 3rd 2012
Pkt 3 rec Jul 9th 2012 (sent before received)
Pkt 4 rec Jul 30th 2012
Interview Jul 30th 2012 (refused for lack of ongoing relationship evidence)
Approved Oct 5th 2012
Visa delivered Oct 10th 2012
POE JFK-NYC Nov 28th 2012
Married Dec 24th 2012

AOS
Package sent Jan 30th 2013
NOA1 Feb 6th 2013
Biometrics Mar 4th 2013
EAD/AP card in production Apr 5th 2013
EAD/AP card in mail Apr 11th 2013
EAD/AP card arrived Apr 13th 2013
SS card arrived Apr 19th 2013

AOS approved Sept 19th 2013 (no interview)

ROC

Package sent Sept 13th 2015

NOA1 Sept 15th 2015

Extension Letter 1yr Sept 15th 2015

Biometrics Oct 15th 2015

RFE Jul 11th 2016

Infopass 1yr extension Aug 26th 2016

RFE response Sept 30th 2016

Interview Mar 15th 2017

"You are lucky we are busy today, we are trying to clear this area, otherwise I wouldn't let you in" - Atlanta CBP Securing America's Borders

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It does seem outrageous but put yourself in the frame of mind of the people who have to develop the security protocols. Terrorists world-wide have actually used children to carry bombs. And it is not enough to only screen middle-eastern or african appearing people! Timothy Mcveigh was about as 'american' appearing as they come! Still, the emphasis on passenger screening overall is probably excessive considering that there are much easier ways for terrorists to kill large numbers of americans than by blowing up airplanes! The biggest thing they needed to do was make cockpit doors secure. They did that. I guess they are convinced that the terrorists remain fixated on airplanes so they must keep their fixation there as well.

I can't see you-tube videos here but I wonder if that dad might have been able to help his son more if he had not himself been 'increasingly incensed'.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I watched the video....i think the dad did a great job of keeping his child calm and trying to make it seem like it was a natural thing that he had to go thru.........

our country used to be the greatest country in the world with all the freedoms that our forefathers had in mind for us.....i know that there are bad people out there but i have to wonder if we have become our own worst enemy's by allowing this kind of treatment to continue.

Im still pretty young compared to most of the population here on vj but i can still remember being allowed to see off your friends or family at the gate instead of at the point of security.....it seems to me that we have become a country that is afraid of our own shadow........i miss the good old days that i knew and it was not that long ago........

I am Muslim and im just as guilty as everyone else about what we go thru because i expect it and go thru it each and every time we fly..........but this was a child with out looking anything like a Muslim....i don't believe this was something that is necessary

just my own opinion

sara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

How do you 'look like a muslim'? It's a religion, not a race, I thought. Maybe you meant 'look like an Arab'?

Your right but what i meant was this child did not have any Islamic clothing on....I wear hijab and i am not Arab

sara

Don't fly.

Boycott the airlines even for one day - and this will go away.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Lets see, a two year old video and finally the dad is offended. I heard an interview with the dad this morning while driving to work and he said he had watched the video over and over again for the last TWO years and he finally put it on line.

Edited by DaveE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't fly.

Boycott the airlines even for one day - and this will go away.

Not necessarily true in this scenario.

Public airport security is a matter of the Federal Government, not the private airlines.

The only way the airlines themselves could bypass this is by not being "public" anymore... which of course would cause them to lose more money than they already are.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!