WillyKid

Bringing wife's parents to USA (I-864 question)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife (now a USC) recently completed the applications to bring both of her parents to the USA via the Green Card process. When does the I-864 form come into play? And, does she file that, or do I (the husband) do that? Of course, I guess it is based on income, correct?

Finally, how long are you legally financially responsible under the terms of the I-864? Forever?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

She will submit it at NVC stage.

Yes, it potentially lasts forever, or until they have worked 40 quarters (year years of always working), or become US citizens,or die, or leave the country permanently. A serious undertaking, especially with elderly people who may need medical attention.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You are responsible until they work 40 quaters or work, leave the US permanently, either party dies or they become USC's . You need to meet the guides for your family ( 2 plus any kids ) plus them ( 1 + 1 )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

When does the I-864 form come into play? And, does she file that, or do I (the husband) do that? Of course, I guess it is based on income, correct?

Finally, how long are you legally financially responsible under the terms of the I-864? Forever?

Thanks!

the I-864 comes into play during NVC processing,

and goes into effect when the intending immigrant crosses over into the USA at a POE (thus activating their immigrant status in the USA).

The Petitioner is the primary sponser - if she not have enough income based on her household size then she can chase after a joint sponser (you perhaps?) .

Can't answer the legally financially responsible question, but I see it's been answered for you already.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She will submit it at NVC stage.

Yes, it potentially lasts forever, or until they have worked 40 quarters (year years of always working), or become US citizens,or die, or leave the country permanently. A serious undertaking, especially with elderly people who may need medical attention.

Right!

We are going to be doing this soon also. YAY! We are USCIS junkies now! :blush: (I want to get this monkey off my back!)

The advice given is correct. Since it is an I-864 you can both sponsor asmembersof the same household and combine incomes. The finanical liabilty is only if she becomes a charge of the state and they decide to try and get their money back. Not sure how old her mom is, my MILis in her 70s and we expect she will live with us, so should not be an issue.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 2 months later...

For Clarity can people explain what they mean by NVC stage?

Here is my situation:

I am currently beginning the process of petitioning to bring my parents to the USA as I just received my citizenship.

I have 2 questions about the form I-864.

a) Do I submit this along with the I-130 Forms for each of my parents? If not, when do I submit them?

b) How much support do I need to prove. My parents are quite poor and I will be taking care of them but I need to know if there is a certain figure or percentage I need to prove? Our household will be me, my wife, and my parents for a few years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

After the application is approved, it goes to the NVC then to the consulate where the interview will take place.

The approval process usually takes around 5 months.

The I-864 is submitted after approval.

Here are the income guidelines.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

We are the poster children for chain migration!

K-1 Visa

10/13/06 - NOA1

01/25/07 - NOA2

02/12/07 - NVC sent petition to Guangzhou consulate

04/27/07 - Packet 3 received

06/17/07 - Packet 4 received

07/05/07 - Interview - Passed!

07/07/07 - Received K-1 visa

03/20/08 - Received 2 year Green Card

02/21/10 - Received 10 Year Green Card

10/18/11 - Sent N-400

03/22/12 - Sworn in as USC

IR-5 for parents

03/23/12 - Sent I-130

03/29/12 - NOA1

06/29/12 - NOA2

07/23/12 - NVC Received

08/10/12 - Received NVC Case No. and IIN

08/21/12 - AOS Fee Bill Received

08/27/12 - AOS Fee Bill Paid

09/04/12 - GZO numbers received

09/04/12 - AOS E-Mailed

09/06/12 - IV Fee Paid

09/06/12 - DS-230 E-Mailed

09/18/12 - Case Complete

11/01/12 - Interview - Passed

11/08/12 - Received IR-5 visa

F2-B for Brother & Sister

08/28/13 - NOA1

12/24/13 - NOA2

01/15/19 - Welcome letter

02/28/19 - Case Complete

06/20/19 - Interview letter

07/17-18/19 - Interview - Passed

07/31/19 - Received F2-B visa

After the application is approved, it goes to the NVC then to the consulate where the interview will take place.

The approval process usually takes around 5 months.

The I-864 is submitted after approval.

Here are the income guidelines.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Thank you for that. So just to be clear, my first step right now is to fill out the I-130 (one for each parent) and send that in along with whatever documents are needed for that form (Naturailzation copy etc). Once I an approval, I will be asked for my I-864 and further documentation

Is that correct?

Thanks

Edited by usmanster

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you looked into the cost of Health insurance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thank you for that. So just to be clear, my first step right now is to fill out the I-130 (one for each parent) and send that in along with whatever documents are needed for that form (Naturailzation copy etc). Once I an approval, I will be asked for my I-864 and further documentation

Is that correct?

Thanks

Yes, that's correct. And the fee for each I-130 of course.

We are the poster children for chain migration!

K-1 Visa

10/13/06 - NOA1

01/25/07 - NOA2

02/12/07 - NVC sent petition to Guangzhou consulate

04/27/07 - Packet 3 received

06/17/07 - Packet 4 received

07/05/07 - Interview - Passed!

07/07/07 - Received K-1 visa

03/20/08 - Received 2 year Green Card

02/21/10 - Received 10 Year Green Card

10/18/11 - Sent N-400

03/22/12 - Sworn in as USC

IR-5 for parents

03/23/12 - Sent I-130

03/29/12 - NOA1

06/29/12 - NOA2

07/23/12 - NVC Received

08/10/12 - Received NVC Case No. and IIN

08/21/12 - AOS Fee Bill Received

08/27/12 - AOS Fee Bill Paid

09/04/12 - GZO numbers received

09/04/12 - AOS E-Mailed

09/06/12 - IV Fee Paid

09/06/12 - DS-230 E-Mailed

09/18/12 - Case Complete

11/01/12 - Interview - Passed

11/08/12 - Received IR-5 visa

F2-B for Brother & Sister

08/28/13 - NOA1

12/24/13 - NOA2

01/15/19 - Welcome letter

02/28/19 - Case Complete

06/20/19 - Interview letter

07/17-18/19 - Interview - Passed

07/31/19 - Received F2-B visa

Have you looked into the cost of Health insurance.

No Boiler I have not. Is that something I should be looking into now?

Is it a necessity straight away?

Yes, that's correct. And the fee for each I-130 of course.

THANK YOU for your assistance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ohh yes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No Boiler I have not. Is that something I should be looking into now?

Is it a necessity straight away?

The consular officer is required to screen the applicant to determine if there's a likelihood they will become a public charge in the United States. The I-864 is required for family immigrant visas, but it's not the only thing the consular officer is required to consider. They are also required to consider the immigrant's age, health, family status, assets, resources, financial status, education, and skills. Based on these considerations, if the consular officer believes the immigrant will become a public charge before they become a US citizen then they're supposed to deny the visa.

An immigrant who is too old to work, and has little or no assets, is going to be entirely dependent on their family in the US to support them for the remainder of their lives. They are never going to be eligible for Social Security retirement benefits or Medicare health care coverage. The consular officer may ask to see proof that their health care will be provided for by their family, and that they're not going to end up in a hospital emergency room applying for emergency Medicaid.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Willy,

We're ahead of you, drop me a PM.

IR-5

11/01/2011: I-130 Submitted

11/04/2012: I-130 NOA1

04/19/2012: I-130 NOA2

05/04/2012: NVC Received

05/27/2012: Received I-864/DS 3032 Package

05/28/2012: Pay I-864 Bill

05/29/2012: Submit DS 3032/I-864

06/05/2012: Receive IV Bill online

06/05/2012: IV Bill Paid

06/06/2012: Payment Accepted

06/07/2012: IV Packet Mailed (Additional documents sent next day on 06/08/2012)

08/28/2012: Interview

• 3 weeks later...

The consular officer is required to screen the applicant to determine if there's a likelihood they will become a public charge in the United States. The I-864 is required for family immigrant visas, but it's not the only thing the consular officer is required to consider. They are also required to consider the immigrant's age, health, family status, assets, resources, financial status, education, and skills. Based on these considerations, if the consular officer believes the immigrant will become a public charge before they become a US citizen then they're supposed to deny the visa.

Planning to petition my parents. Mom is 58 and dad is 60yrs old.. Mom will be retiring and will be getting her pension from Philippine Gov't in 2 years..What if her petition will be approved before she retires? do you think is it better if she retires at 58? Another question, if ever my mom get her green card, can she still go back and have a vacation in the Philippines for 6 months and then go back to USA again? And as for my dad, he doesn't have pension like my mom but he is currently working overseas as a seaman(cargo ship). He is also earning in US dollar currency. He would also like to seek for a job here in the USA whenever he gets his green card. My parents are in great health condition. My mom is a nurse in the Philippines also, we are just confused of what is the best thing to do about my mom's retirement.

An immigrant who is too old to work, and has little or no assets, is going to be entirely dependent on their family in the US to support them for the remainder of their lives. They are never going to be eligible for Social Security retirement benefits or Medicare health care coverage. The consular officer may ask to see proof that their health care will be provided for by their family, and that they're not going to end up in a hospital emergency room applying for emergency Medicaid.

Planning to petition my parents. Mom is 58 and dad is 60yrs old.. Mom will be retiring and will be getting her pension from Philippine Gov't in 2 years..What if her petition will be approved before she retires? do you think is it better if she retires at 58? Another question, if ever my mom get her green card, can she still go back and have a vacation in the Philippines for 6 months and then go back to USA again? And as for my dad, he doesn't have pension like my mom but he is currently working overseas as a seaman(cargo ship). He is also earning in US dollar currency. He would also like to seek for a job here in the USA whenever he gets his green card. My parents are in great health condition. My mom is a nurse in the Philippines also, we are just confused of what is the best thing to do about my mom's retirement

F2A Journey ( Daughter or LPR mom)

PD: 08/22/2013

NOA2: 11/15/2013

CASE NUMBER GENERATED: 12/16/2013

DS261 SENT: 12/16/2013

AOS PAID: 1/1/2014

AOS PACKET SENT:

IV PAID: 1/10/2014

IV PACKET SENT:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.