Laure&Colin

USC petitioner living abroad

682 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think it would cause an issue. My wife just moved back to the US, and we updated her address over the phone. I am now writing a letter to USCIS updating my address with them and updating the intended address I will be living at when I move to the US (wife's current new address). But then again, I haven't had results to verify that. I think a lot of people put "To Be Determined" on that part of the application.

Thank you.That's the only thing we were worried about.

USCIS Stage: 7 Days

07/26/12 - I-130 package sent

07/30/12 - package received

08/01/12 - NOA1 received via email

08/08/12 - APPROVED - NOA2 received via email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

xx/xx/12 - Case has arrived at NVC

xx/xx/12 - Case number received

xx/xx/12 - AOS bill received via email

xx/xx/12 - AOS bill paid via portal & DS3032 accepted

xx/xx/12 - IV bill received and paid. AOS bill appears as PAID.

xx/xx/12 - DS230 and I864 packages

xx/xx/12 - I864 and DS230 sent to NVC

xx/xx/12 - AOS package accepted

10/09/12 - CASE COMPLETE

11/26/12 - Interview Date Assigned

11/28/12 - INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED

xx/xx/12 - POE

I did, it said we could. Just want to know whether DCF will be faster compared to normal USCIS route.

Unless there is some exclusion for military, Malaysia does not offer DCF anymore. In order to file DCF, there must be a USCIS field office, which Malaysia does not have. See this link from the USCIS.

And the US embassy page for Malaysia also states that all petitions must be filed at the Chicago Lockbox. Click here for a PDF file from the embassy.

I'll double check those requirements again. Good Luck!

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

I'll double check those requirements again.

Didn't see the mistake in time to edit the post. What this should say is - 'If I were you, I would double check those requirements again.'

I won't be checking the requirements again! Good Luck!

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Yes (I plan to be as well)

Oh thank you!!! I will do it that way.

In the email, the part that's say "Petitioner’s U.S Address" I put the address abroad or the us address? I mean, were the things are send.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

@ chaine1: Sorry but that information is not correct. Even though Malaysia does not have a USCIS office, we could still do DCF.

My husband emailed the US embassy in Malaysia. They told him they have the authority to request USCIS for authorization to accept DCF under exceptional circumstances, which include genuine military emergencies.

My husband is moving bases in Feb. The unit there is deploying in Dec, and there's a chance he might be deployed once he's there. The embassy told him that unless we have orders and he is definitely deploying to the middle east, we can't do DCF (which means we can if we have the orders!). He lives in the US by the way.

So lesson learned is when in doubt, contact the embassy. They're very friendly and quite helpful :)

Also, need to ask:

He called the military helpline last night and the lady he talked to, said I could come to the US on a one-way ticket, tell the IO at POE that I'd adjust status and file in the US. Is this good sound advice? I have a tourist visa, we haven't filed for I-130 yet. I know I can visit for 6 months max.

Cheers.

Edited by JP and Tee

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Also, need to ask:

He called the military helpline last night and the lady he talked to, said I could come to the US on a one-way ticket, tell the IO at POE that I'd adjust status and file in the US. Is this good sound advice? I have a tourist visa, we haven't filed for I-130 yet. I know I can visit for 6 months max.

Cheers.

:ot2: Hey JP and Tee....I recommend you start a new thread for this advice since as Laure&Colin say -

"This topic is made to pinpoint the exact requirements that allow most USC petitioners filing from abroad to have their I-130 auto-expedited, while some others seem to go through regular processing queues."

plus, you are more likely to get question specific answers :)

Again, unless there is some exception for military, this is a very bad idea. It is illegal to enter the US on a non-immigrant visa (tourist) with the intent to immigrant. Under normal circumstances, if you told an IO at POE that you were going to adjust status, you would be denied entry.

But again, I'm unfamiliar with military procedures. I suggest you post this question in the 'Military Immigration-Related Discussion' forum.

@ chaine1: Sorry but that information is not correct. Even though Malaysia does not have a USCIS office, we could still do DCF

I just wanted to comment on this for people who may read this later. The information I posted is not incorrect. Most embassies can accept petitions if certain extreme circumstances are met. As you found out, it's pretty difficult to met these extreme circumstances. The great majority of people will not be able to file at an embassy that does not have a USCIS Overseas Field Office.

Good Luck!

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Does anyone have any experience with filing from abroad with the husband and wife in two separate countries? I am in Canada and my Wife is in Jordan. I hope we get auto-expedited. Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this.

USCIS

08/16/2012: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox from Canada

08/22/2012: NOA1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC

12/04/2012: NVC Case no. assigned

12/06/2012: Filed DS-261

12/08/2012: Paid AOS fee

12/19/2012: AOS Package sent Electronically

12/17/2012: Paid IV Bill

12/19/2012: Filed DS-260

01/16/2013: Sent IV Packet Electronically

01/25/2013: Case Closed at NVC

03/05/2013: Interview date - APPROVED

Does anyone have any experience with filing from abroad with the husband and wife in two separate countries? I am in Canada and my Wife is in Jordan. I hope we get auto-expedited. Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this.

Shouldn't make any difference that you both reside in different countries. You will fill out your address where it is required, and she will fill our her address where it is required. I would assume you will request for her to be interviewed in Amman.

There have been mixed reports of expedited cases from Canada. Read through this topic to get a better idea.

Good Luck!

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Embassy

1. Country USC resides in: Thailand

2. USCIS field office or DCF?: There is DCF and a USCIS field office here, but did not qualify due to my Thai visa type.

3. When did you file I130: Received by USCIS on 1st August 2012

4. How long has the USC been living abroad: 4 and a half years in Thailand and Australia

5. Do you reside in the country legally: Yes but on a Non Immigrant visa

6. What is the reason for your residence: Live with my wife

7. Did you list your overseas address on I130? Yes

8. Did you send the package from abroad? No, sent first to my folks in the US, who sent it along

9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in your I130 package? Only a Thai bank account with my name on it

10. Did you mention that you reside abroad in your cover letter? Yes

11. Has your case been auto expedited? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? Yes. 12 days!

12. Which Service Centre? California

Just got the approval email :)

Thanks to all that posted in this thread. I was about to list my parents address on the I-130 and changed it last minute after I saw it. That saved us several months of waiting!

Edited by T and P

USCIS - CSC

7/30/12: I-130 sent to Chicago lockbox

8/01/12: NOA1

8/13/12: NOA2! (USC living abroad)

NVC

8/28/12: Case # issued

8/31/12: DS-3032 email sent

9/11/12: DS-3032 email rejected, re-sent

9/13/12: AOS invoice received, paid

9/19/12: AOS package sent

9/21/12: AOS package delivered

9/21/12: DS-3032 email accepted

9/24/12: IV Invoice received, paid

9/25/12: IV Package sent from Thailand

9/27/12: IV package delivered

9/28/12: RFE by phone for employment letter

9/29/12: RFE information sent from Thailand

10/2/12: RFE info delivered

10/9/12: NVC case complete!

10/12/12: Interview scheduled (Nov 16th)

10/16/12: Case left NVC via DHL

US Embassy - Bangkok

10/19/12: Case arrived

10/30/12: Medical at Bumrungrad hospital

11/16/12: Interview - APPROVED

11/20/12: Passport arrives in mail

POE: Slated for 1/31/12 at LAX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Laure and Colin,thank you,if it wasn't for this thread;we would have followed a very stupid advice from our attorney and put a US Address.

1. Country USC resides in: Cyprus

2. USCIS field office or DCF?: DCF Only available for Syrian fugitives living in Cyprus.

3. When did you file I130: Received by USCIS on 07/30/2012,NOA1 on 08/01/2012.

4. How long has the USC been living abroad: 2 Years and a half but only 8 months in this country.

5. Do you reside in the country legally: Yes but on a Non Immigrant visa

6. What is the reason for your residence: To be with my wife and baby.

8. Did you send the package from abroad? Yes.

9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in your I130 package? 2 lease contracts with both our names as evidence of Bona Fide relationship and a copy of all the pages of our passports to prove we were in the same location in the last 2 years.

10. Did you mention that you reside abroad in your cover letter? Yes

11. Has your case been auto expedited? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? Yes. 7 Days!

Edited by Together0515

USCIS Stage: 7 Days

07/26/12 - I-130 package sent

07/30/12 - package received

08/01/12 - NOA1 received via email

08/08/12 - APPROVED - NOA2 received via email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

xx/xx/12 - Case has arrived at NVC

xx/xx/12 - Case number received

xx/xx/12 - AOS bill received via email

xx/xx/12 - AOS bill paid via portal & DS3032 accepted

xx/xx/12 - IV bill received and paid. AOS bill appears as PAID.

xx/xx/12 - DS230 and I864 packages

xx/xx/12 - I864 and DS230 sent to NVC

xx/xx/12 - AOS package accepted

10/09/12 - CASE COMPLETE

11/26/12 - Interview Date Assigned

11/28/12 - INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED

xx/xx/12 - POE

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

1. Country USC resides in: Sweden

2. USCIS field office or DCF?: USCIS field office

3. When did you file I130: 07/23/2012

4. How long has the USC been living abroad: 7 years

5. Do you reside in the country legally: Yes

6. What is the reason for your residence: To be together

8. Did you send the package from abroad? To relatives in the states who added a check and sent it on.

9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in your I130 package? It's on several of the documents provided to prove bonafide relationship

10. Did you mention that you reside abroad in your cover letter? No

11. Has your case been auto expedited? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? Yes. 29 days (or 22 business days).

[uSCIS Stage] (29 days)

07/18/12 - I-130 package sent.

07/23/12 - package received.

07/25/12 - NOA1 received via email.

08/06/12 - NOA1 via snail mail.

08/21/12 - APPROVED - NOA2 received via email.

[NVC Stage] (86 days)

08/27/12 - Case has arrived at NVC.

09/05/12 - Case number received, emailed DS3032.

09/17/12 - AOS bill received via email and paid via portal.

09/18/12 - DS3032 was rejected (made a stupid mistake), emailed DS3032 again.

09/20/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID.

09/28/12 - AOS package received by NVC.

10/08/12 - DS3032 accepted.

10/09/12 - RFE for clarification on sponsors income and about re-establishing residence.

10/18/12 - IV bill received and paid via portal.

10/19/12 - IV bill appears as PAID.

11/07/12 - IV package received by NVC.

11/15/12 - RFE response received by NVC (stayed in customs for 14 days).

11/30/12 - CASE COMPLETE.

12/12/12 - Interview Date Assigned.

12/13/12 - Medical.

01/07/13 - Interview Date - APPROVED.

01/09/13 - Return to the embassy to sign IV Part 2, got visa envelope.

02/05/13 - POE - Charlotte, NC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline

1. Country USC resides in: Mongolia

2. Is there a USCIS field office in this country / Is DCF still possible? No

3. When did you file the I-130: April 2012

4. How long had you been living abroad: 2 1/2 years

5. Do you reside in the country legally? Yes

6. What is the reason for your residence: Missionary/married to Mongolian citizen

7. Did you list your foreign address on all forms in I-130 package? Yes

8. Did you send I-130 package from abroad? Yes

9. Did you include evidence of your residence abroad in the I-130 package? Yes, to prove bonafide marriage

10. Did you mention the fact you reside abroad in the cover letter or write a letter describing your current situation and the evolution of your relationship with your spouse (mentioning your residence abroad)? Yes

11. Has your case been "auto-expedited"? How long between NOA1 and NOA2? Yes, 7 days

12. Which service center? California

Edited by mongol

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ehh, if I only knew this earlier :( The time when we filed our I-130 application with USCIS in April, priority day May 10, 2012, I was living abroad together with my wife and stayed there until late July before I came back to the US. If I only knew this expedite thing before we filed, then things wouldn't have been this tough for my family. Now, it has been more than 100 days since our NOA1 and still in the initial review stage :(. My family has been experiencing very tough times with the USCIS since September, 2011 when we first filed our I-129F petition which they denied at the end in March, 2012. Then we filed a new petition (I-130) which we are waiting now.

It has been miserable to wait and wait forever, hoping a light will show up from the USCIS status update website, but no such things yet. I don't think anybody petitioning with a hope to have better life and future had the hardest time ever than us. Ok,... if i continue, the story will go on and on, never seems to stop.... Let me ask a question from deer friends here, when I completed the I-130 package while in overseas, I put my US address on the I130 questions #2 except for question #21 where it says "If filing for your husband/wife, give last address at which you lived together" for which I answered by writing our abroad address where we were living together at that time. (I put from February, 2012 to present, where it asks "From To"). And on form G-325A for petitioner (myself)I put my foreign address first where it says "Applicant's address last five years." So, having said that, is there a chance to call the USCIS and request them for expedited service (even though it has been already more than 3 months), explaining them that I was living together with the beneficiary abroad at the time we filed our I-130 petition? Do they expedite at this stage or am I too late? or what else? what else can I do so that I and my family won't have to wait for another couple months till the NOA2? Please help me and give me some advice!!!helpsmilie.gif

Ehh, if I only knew this forum/expedited service earlier then everything would have been just fantastic! sad.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.