Dan70

Wedding within 90 days?

62 posts in this topic

Question to all you smart VJ members. If I bring my fiance it says I must have a wedding within 90 days, do I really have to do a wedding and a ceremony and spend all that money, or can I just get married in court without a ceremony, and If I do that will that be enough?

Thanks all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can do a Justice of the Peace. That is what I am doing. I will do that because I want to start the AOS process as soon as possible.

Then we both can decide how much money she wants to deplete my bank account with a traditional wedding.

USCIS

28 JUL 11 SENT I129F PACKAGE

04 AUG 11 NOA 1 RECEIVED

05 AUG 11 NOA 1 NOTICE DATE

07 AUG 11 CHECK CASHED $340 *OUCH*

14 AUG 11 RECEIVED RETURN RECEIPT FROM USPS

09 DEC 11 RECEIVED NOA 2

19 DEC 11 LETTER FROM NVC STATING THE PETITION WILL BE FORWARDED TO MANILA

127 DAYS BETWEEN NOA 1 & NOA 2.

MANILA EMBASSY

13 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 SINGLE LETTER (QUENNY)

27 JAN 12 RECEIVED PACKET 3 COPY TO ME HERE IN STATES

29 JAN 12 SENT MONEY $350 FOR VISA APPLICATION

30 JAN 12 MADE VISA APPOINTMENT

06 FEB 12 SENT PAPERS FOR VISA INTERVIEW (4.2lbs Through DHL, $140)

09 FEB 12 SENT MONEY FOR INTERVIEW & SEMINAR

13 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 1

14 FEB 12 MEDICAL PROCESS DAY 2

05 MAR 12 VISA INTERVIEW AT MANILA, PHILIPPINES

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is No Such Thing as a Smart VJ Member. I PROVE IT EVERYDAY!

As long as you get Married in 90 days. The Only Requirements are 2 witnesses of your Vows to eachother and a preacher/or authority to marry you.

Dan, you are such a Romantic. Maybe at least get her an Ice Cream Cone though. I also say. Keep it simple. I'm not into fancy myself. It just depends what you both want and plan.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You can do a Justice of the Peace. That is what I am doing. I will do that because I want to start the AOS process as soon as possible.

Then we both can decide how much money she wants to deplete my bank account with a traditional wedding.

But wont you have to provide evidence that this is a bona fide marriage and not a marriage of convenience, e.g. pictures from the ceremony with family members etc.?

01/23/2012 - delivered to Lewisville
01/26/2012 - NOA1 text & email
08/07/2012 - NOA2 text & email (the happiest day of my life!)
08/11/2012 - NOA2 hard copy
08/16/2012 - received at NVC
08/20/2012 - left NVC
08/23/2012 - received at the US Embassy in Moscow
08/30/2012 - received a letter with instructions
10/30/2012 - interview - APPROVED!
02/20/2013 - POE Washington DC - planned but not done

08/28/2013 - visa renewed

10/27/2013 - POE NYC

12/06/2013 - married!

12/24/2013 - filed for AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Many people in AOS marry at the courts to help speed up their package submission. It's not easy for everyone to pay for a wedding and ceremony, plus AOS filing fees and supporting a spouse until EAD arrives (which can take months). USCIS is aware of these obstacles.

AOS (from K1 Visa)

December 06, 2011 – Married

December 23, 2011 - Sent packet (I-485, I-765, I-131 & G-1145) to Chicago Lockbox

December 27, 2011 - USCIS - Received packet

January 06, 2012 - Received receipt notice NOA

January 14, 2012 - Received Biometrics appt letter

January 27, 2012 - Biometric appointment in Phoenix @ 9 am for I-485 & I-765

February 24, 2012 - Email received from USCIS they mailed RFE for I-485

February 29, 2012 - Received RFE for I-485 in the mail.

March 26, 2012 - Sent requested evidence (transcript 2010)

April 02, 2012 - Email notification that NBC received documents

April 10, 2012 - Received email that Travel Document was approved

April 10, 2012 - Received email that EAD was in production

April 13, 2012 - Received 2nd email that EAD was in production

April 16, 2012 - Received email that EAD was mailed

April 17, 2012 - Received email that NBC interview scheduled for May 18, 2012

April 18, 2012 - Received EAD/Travel Card in the mail

May 18, 2012 - Interview at Phoenix USCIS office

August 07, 2012 - I-485 approved

August 07 & 09 - Received email/texts from USCIS

August 15, 2012 - Received Green Cards in the mail

an1cJZC0g410810MTAwNjA3c3w1OTgwMzk3c2F8RGF5cyBNYXJyaWVk.gif

Timeline

Question to all you smart VJ members. If I bring my fiance it says I must have a wedding within 90 days, do I really have to do a wedding and a ceremony and spend all that money, or can I just get married in court without a ceremony, and If I do that will that be enough?

Thanks all.

Yes you can just do a simple civil wedding at your state's City Hall. Take pictures of the ring, inform the judge that will perform the ceremony that you need evidence for your AOS. Pictures of you, fiance, judge and two witnesses, rings on finger's.

Your certified copy of the marriage certificate is proof of your actual marriage. Receipts for the rings purchased. You can do a small get together with family and friends. Take pictures with you parents, siblings and friends at home.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

There is No Such Thing as a Smart VJ Member. As long as you get Married in 90 days. The Only Requirements are 2 witnesses of your Vows to eachother and a preacher/or authority to marry you.

Dan, you are such a Romantic. Maybe at least get her an Ice Cream Cone though. I also say. Keep it simple. I'm not into fancy myself. It just depends what you both want and plan.

Please, don't let them know this! Many legends in their own minds! :lol:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

Wrong again, Tim. The requirements vary with the local laws but a "preacher" is never required by law.

To the OP, you don't see any reference to a "wedding" in any instructions or visa terms and conditions. "Married" is the operative term, not "wedding".

I never used the Word Wedding. Reference is made to a Ceremony between Husband and Wife. The Words a person Authorized to Wed/Marry a Couple. That Law has never changed. A Ceremony is requirement. Remember the Words I DO. Thats a Ceremony. When a person is Legally able to Marry a Couple then they are Married.

They don't allow this at Wal-Mart yet. So who is wrong. You can get Married in your Apartment. But you must be legally binded in Marridge by a person legally authorized to Conduct such. In any State. Pin H_ _ D !

Local Laws have nothing to do with Marridge. They are all the same. Ido, witnesses, a fee, and a person authorized to marry a couple. State Laws do not get involved unless they Gay now adays.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As an option, you can probably find a travelling preacher/preist/marriage officiant to do it at your location. Getting married in the court room (even though my parents were) just doesn't appeal to me. Orlando is the second busiest marriage location just behind Las Vegas. I was able to find a preacher to meet us at a beautiful park in Downtown Orlando who will marry us for $ 165.00 during the weekdays or $ 250 on the weekends.

Good luck to you all and I hope it doesn't rain on your wedding day !

Timeline

Yes you can just do a simple Civil wedding Civil Marriage Ceremony at your state's City Hall or city clerk office. Take pictures of the ring, inform the judge that will perform the ceremony that you need evidence for your AOS. Pictures of you, fiance, judge and two witnesses, rings on finger's.

Your certified copy of the marriage certificate is proof of your actual marriage. Receipts for the rings purchased. You can do a small get together with family and friends. Take pictures with you parents, siblings and friends at home.

How to Get Married in City Hall:

Purchase wedding bands. Obtain the marriage license. Decide on a date. Call your local city hall and ask them to schedule your marriage ceremony. They can usually fit you in within a few days. Call up some family or friends to be witnesses to the marriage. Bring the marriage license, ID's (Driver's license, Passport or birth certificate) if needed. Dress attire is not required but you should want to looking spiffy for that day :star: :star: :star: . Bring someone to take the picture for you during the Ceromony. After the I do's. That's it!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks all.

County judge if all that is needed; that's all we did.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Please keep in mind that this is a major event in life. If you treat it like a fast-food dinner, then you are making a strong statement to its value in you life as well as the value of your beloved. I realize that civil ceremonies are popularly discussed here on VJ because of their ease, the tradition in the US is that if you have a quickie civil ceremony it is because there is something shameful about it--one of them is divorced, an unplanned pregnancy, an affair, or something that traditionally was not acceptable in society OR that you are military and there is a war.

We don't have the money or the time to plan a formal wedding, but you can bet your butt that I won't insult my spouse with a low-class legal "ceremony" that has nothing memorable about it whatsoever. (We'll be spending under 1000$ easy.) Low budget does not ever have to equal low-class.

Perhaps it would be good to put a minimum price to be the cost of flying over to see that person. (In Texas, the license is $72.00. Prices for officiant in Austin: Wedding officiants in Austin)

Do something special. Really, it doesn't take that much effort. If you are too lazy to come up with your own idea, copy off someone on youtube or the internet.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks all.

As long as you get a marriage certificate that says you were married in the 90 day window then you're good to go. A civil wedding is fine. We did ours at the county clerk's office. No advance appointment was necessary. We did a "walk in", and walked out 20 minutes later with a marriage certificate. They even found us a JP who speaks Vietnamese, so we had a bilingual wedding! :thumbs:

This entire process can get a little crazy. Some consulates are really ####### about the beneficiary having extensive knowledge of the wedding arrangements, such as when and where the wedding ceremony will take place, where the reception will take place, how many people will be there, etc. This is AFTER they've told the beneficiary not to make any concrete plans until after the visa is issued.

"Don't make any plans until you get the visa. By the way, what are your plans?" :wacko:

For adjustment of status, USCIS understands that 90 days is not enough time to plan a formal wedding. They're not going to presume it's a "marriage of convenience" if you have a civil wedding because you've already gone through the whole K1 process together. There's a presumption that your relationship was vetted, to some degree, at the US consulate.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.