CdnMom

Proof of meeting ? we only have pictures

42 posts in this topic

My canadian daughter is engaged to an american fellow and their K-1 was started in August. They just received back this week, a RFE requiring more proof of having met in the last 2 years. I'm not sure what the initial "proof" was that her fiance sent. I know it was pictures that he just wrote the date on the back.

Here's the problem. We're having a difficult time finding anything other than pictures. We live on the US/Canada border. They usually see eachother every other month....... and have for the past 2½ years. Either he comes over here or she heads over there. Passports are never stamped, although they are swiped by the border agents.

when he comes here, he stays at our home. When she goes there, she stays at his parent's home, so there are never any hotel receipts. The only thing we might be able to pull up are gas receipts. Other than that and pictures, what can we do??

Do they take into account these type of "close proximity" relationships with limited proof??

I look forward to any insight anyone may have. They'd like to get the packet sent back out by next weekend. Thanks so much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Photos, Cards, Letters, Receipts (movies, dinners, presents). If they have letters or emails talking about specific events they did together then photocopy those (you can blank out intimate stuff). Cell phone bills (showing roaming charges). Visa statements showing purchases in Canada/US for both...

You could write and sign a letter stating that he stays with you at your house when he visits.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Limited evidence is fine as long as there's at least some. Did your daughter ever use her credit card in the US or her fiance his card in US? If so, ATM receipts and bank statements(transcripts) may help here. The US creditcard being used in Canada or the Canadian being used in the US, it doesn't matter. Time to track down evidence from the last 2 years :)

Pictures are secondary evidence backing up the primary. Secondary would be pictures(either stamped or hand dated day/month/year). Affidavits from family and friends are secondary evidence too. This means if your daughter doesn't have alot of evidence, she could ask you to write an affidavit/sworn statement that you know both of them and their relationship. Look into it maybe. If you're renting a place and the landlord knows of the relationship, ask them politely to sign a sworn statement. This is only supporting your initial evidence as I said. Since pictures have already been submitted, look into if your daughter may have used anything in her name while in the US.

Edit: and phone bills showing roaming/calling from outside of country, I agree with dukeandduchess. Both names don't have to be on the initial evidence, it depends on which evidence is used.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How about a picture of both of them holding that days paper?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Photos, Cards, Letters, Receipts (movies, dinners, presents). If they have letters or emails talking about specific events they did together then photocopy those (you can blank out intimate stuff). Cell phone bills (showing roaming charges). Visa statements showing purchases in Canada/US for both...

You could write and sign a letter stating that he stays with you at your house when he visits.

Everything mentioned above would be considered secondary evidence and weak at that. What USCIS is looking for is primary evidence of being in the same country. Yes, they understand there will not be the usual passport stamps or boarding passes with border couples. ATM or other Credit card receipts in the foreigners name, for purchases in the USA during the two years prior to filing the petition may be the only primary evidence available. If so, those receipts and a letter of explanation should do the trick.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi everyone. I'm hoping that someone can give us more insight into this dilemma. I posted a question about this last night and now it's disappeared off the board.

My Canadian daughter is engaged to an American fellow. He filed the I-129 back in August. Last week he received a RFE asking for more documentation on their being together in the last 2 years. I'm not sure exactly what he sent in the first time, but I think it was just a few pictures of the two of them, in which he wrote the dates.

Here's our dilemma. We are right on the border and they see eachother pretty much every other weekend. Either he comes here or she goes there. He stays at our home and she stays at his parent's home. When they cross the border, their passports are never stamped, but they are scanned.

So, unfortunately there are no ticket stubs or hotel receipts. The only thing, if we can find any, would be gas receipts.

I know that pictures are considered secondary proof. Any ideas on what else we can provide?? Does USCIS take into account this kind of situation??? I know they've run into it before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. They'd like to get this new packet sent off by next weekend.

Thanks so much!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Anything else, gas receipts, dinner out, time off from work ie. vacation for a visit, friends in photos, weather you are next door or across the planet you have to establish proof of your relationship. Check postings form others in your situation, that should help. Also if they get involved on this site "VJ" equally it will help them both understand the process and pitfalls to avoid, Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Have they ever gone on vacation together somewhere? My husband and I used a receipt from a cruise that we went on together.

Any photos from New Years with the year in any of them?

I think visa statements showing purchases in eachother's countries is also helpful.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Thank you for your reply. It's not so much establishing that they have a relationship, as there are TONS of pictures and they'll include lots of them. It's just that since pictures are considered secondary, we have concern about that.

When you're across the world and you physically get together, there's proof ie: plane tickets, passport stamp, etc...

With being "next door", there is none of that. Basically only pictures........ that's the problem.

There's no doubt they are together often and we do have the "picture story" to tell that. I tried searching the forum to see what I could find with other Cdn/US relationships, but didn't find much. Hopefully someone who's had a similar scenario will post what they've done. In the meantime, I'll keep searching......

Thanks so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe you can contact the border and get a copy/ list (whatever they call it) of crossing into the US and into Canada. Someone will chime in, I know there are a few Canadians who've needed to get this information.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

They need his mom and her mom to write letters that they alternate staying in each other country every other weekend and that they stay in your home together.Also letters from other family that maybe they attended a christmas party or birthday party together. Letters from friends that they go out with in each country. Screen shots of Facebook that shows In a relationship with***

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

take a flight over the border :) then you have POE and probably have to get stamp :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Since when did Facebook become bible of the truth? I fail to see how screenshot of Facebook that show xxx is in relationship with yyy can be considered any credible evidence.... I can make that in two minutes unsure.gif

Affidavits from family and friends are also weak evidence, since any of them will write whatever you tell them to.

Since they practically live "next door" on the border, you should try to find evidences which shows that they live in a very short distance from one another. Official address registration for both of them, letters from Authorities that clearly states the their name and registered address, utilities bills that show their name and address. Then write a statement to explain their situation.

Credit card statement shows transactions or money withdrawn receipt on the other side of the border will also help.

Because you don't have many primary evidences, all these evidences mentioned above will not stand on their own but together they will help the adjudicator understand the scope of their relationship.

Edited by GandK

Since when did Facebook become bible of the truth? I fail to see how screenshot of Facebook that show xxx is in relationship with yyy can be considered any credible evidence.... I can make that in two minutes

I think this works because people have all their friends/family/coworkers etc on their facebook and in theory by putting that you are engaged/in a relationship on your facebook for all these people to see, it makes it less likely that the engagement is just for the visa, since then you'd have family/friends/coworkers going "whos this guy???" lol

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My embassy is much harder than others. And the CO's have asked a couple people to pull up their fb accounts during the interview or give the CO the password. So, my embassy, which is a high fraud area, likes FB showing relationship status because if you have a fake relationship then you are probably hiding your relationship from others.

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.