UK_Fan

gay marriage and immigration

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

so i had a thought.. since some states now allow gay couples enter into a marriage, wondering if any had went through the immigration process yet.. or maybe if the whole country doesn't recognize gay marriage, they wouldn't be allowed to?

and wondering if they would have to file for a "fiancee" visa? i bet if they were allowed to do so, USCIS would drill them like no other..

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved to general immigration discussion forum from Immigration News and Discussion forum as it does not involve a posted news story.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

so i had a thought.. since some states now allow gay couples enter into a marriage, wondering if any had went through the immigration process yet.. or maybe if the whole country doesn't recognize gay marriage, they wouldn't be allowed to?

and wondering if they would have to file for a "fiancee" visa? i bet if they were allowed to do so, USCIS would drill them like no other..

no changes in immigration laws. still not accepted.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

The problem is that Immigration Law is Federal and officially the Federal Government doesn't recognize same sex marriage.

there is no federal law that affords equal marriage rights to gays and lesbians at the current time. therefore, they are unable to petition for their partners. change is coming though. discrimination on the basis of homosexuality will soon be a distant, embarrasing memory.

and there have been many couples whove petitioned and qualified for visas/green cards, but have been denied solely on the basis of the gender of the beneficiary. a sort of protest application.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

ive searched around and found a thread sorta like this one where they mentioned something about suing the gorvernment on basis of discrimitanion... i have personally always thought that the reason they didn't allow gays to marry is so that people wouldnt commit immigration fraud more often then it is.

but look at canada, they allow gays to marry, wonder if gays are allowed to immigrate there on those bases?

event.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

ive searched around and found a thread sorta like this one where they mentioned something about suing the gorvernment on basis of discrimitanion... i have personally always thought that the reason they didn't allow gays to marry is so that people wouldnt commit immigration fraud more often then it is.

but look at canada, they allow gays to marry, wonder if gays are allowed to immigrate there on those bases? No.

Under the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), the US government does not recognize same-sex marriages. This means US immigration laws do not recognize same-sex marriages.

While a gay couple can legally be married in Canada, the marriage is not recognized under US immigration laws - so no petitioning for a same-sex spouse. This also means no fiancee visa for a same-sex fiancee.

There are plenty of lawsuits over DOMA that involves immigration benefits. You'll want to investigate how much time and money you want to devote to a lawsuit. It's not cheap and it's a long road without guarantees.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

but look at canada, they allow gays to marry, wonder if gays are allowed to immigrate there on those bases?

Yes Canada permits same-sex immigration. So does Australia. Australia also permits de-facto couples.

I don't think they'd permit same-sex immigration for some time. The US get a lot of immigration fraud and permitting it would just encourage people to start "dating" their friends to help them come over. There wouldn't be much to it, it's sad there are so many people ruining it for others.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Yes Canada permits same-sex immigration. So does Australia. Australia also permits de-facto couples.

I don't think they'd permit same-sex immigration for some time. The US get a lot of immigration fraud and permitting it would just encourage people to start "dating" their friends to help them come over. There wouldn't be much to it, it's sad there are so many people ruining it for others.

It's not immigration fraud that drives the exclusion of immigration benefits to same-sex couples, it's the fear of "the gays".

The US is socially conservative, and the anti-gay groups are politically very powerful. Politicians kowtowing to these powerful interests have created a broad law, DOMA, that states the US government will not recognize any same-sex marriages. The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) means no federal benefits to same-sex couples; no immigration benefits, no spousal social security benefits, no spousal military benefits, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.