Kokonut

11/2/2011 NOA1 date... Would 7/7/2012 be safe as a wedding date?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

I've set my wedding date on 5/5/2012 around April this year. Things happened, I had to come back to Korea. Now bcuz K1 seems unlikely to be approved by next May, I've made a decision to move the wedding. It's a big wedding and invitations are all sent a while ago. It's almost insane for me to move the date...

If I move now, obviously it has to be the last time. I can't change the date again.

I've calculated an estimated date of my K1 approval based on the timeline and trend section on this website. If nothing happens, I should get it by June 2, 2012.

But I'm super worried about RFE or blue slip at the consulate. It seems like U.S consulate in Korea is very cool and it only takes about a week to re-submit the requested document and get K1. But I'm sure RFE before NOA2 would take a lot longer than that...

When we filed the petition we did exactly what it says on this website: K-1 guideline.

But who know, we might still get RFE.

So, my question is, with a possibility of getting RFE, would new date July 7, 2012 be fine as a new wedding date? What's your opinion?

How long does it take to resolve RFE? And when do they usually send RFE? It's been 2months for me. Would I have received it already if it was going to happen to me? or can it happen much later like after 4months of NOA1?

I can't change it to later in summer bcuz of extremely hot and humid weather in the city I'm getting married.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I wouldn't make any hard date until your process if finished. Plans great, put a down payment or plane tickets no way.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You won't get an RFE until they are ready to adjudicate your petition, that is when they actually review all the documents...

good luck

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly, it was foolish for you to set a big wedding in the first place

Regardless, and RFE will be sent close to the end of the processing. We got ours at day 161 and were approved on day 178. So no, just because you haven't received anything yet doesn't mean you won't. It is extremely unlikely that anyone has actually even looked at your case/petition. It is probablly sitting in the same filing cabinet it was when it arrived.

Our RFE took 2 weeks to process, but I've seen them take much longer (but then again, I've also seen it take much less).

I think your July wedding date is pushing the envelope. Why not change it to September? Here is GA the weather starts to break up around September into lovely, cool days.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've set my wedding date on 5/5/2012 around April this year. Things happened, I had to come back to Korea. Now bcuz K1 seems unlikely to be approved by next May, I've made a decision to move the wedding. It's a big wedding and invitations are all sent a while ago. It's almost insane for me to move the date...

If I move now, obviously it has to be the last time. I can't change the date again.

I've calculated an estimated date of my K1 approval based on the timeline and trend section on this website. If nothing happens, I should get it by June 2, 2012.

But I'm super worried about RFE or blue slip at the consulate. It seems like U.S consulate in Korea is very cool and it only takes about a week to re-submit the requested document and get K1. But I'm sure RFE before NOA2 would take a lot longer than that...

When we filed the petition we did exactly what it says on this website: K-1 guideline.

So, my question is, with a possibility of getting RFE, would new date July 7, 2012 be fine as a new wedding date? What's your opinion?

How long does it take to resolve RFE? And when do they usually send RFE? It's been 2months for me. Would I have received it already if it was going to happen to me? or can it happen much later like after 4months of NOA1?

I can't change it to later in summer bcuz of extremely hot and humid weather in the city I'm getting married.

When I did my wedding contract I specifically asked for a clause that grants me the right to change the date. They honored it. That said, I haven't send any invitations yet until my fiancee is here. Once that happens, I will immediately order them and send them out.

It is highly recommended never to plan with dates set in stone. My process took 9 months: from April to December. That is the average. If I was you I'd have a labor-day-weekend wedding when the weather is better. July is too tight.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think you are better off pushing it forward or waiting a little longer to make a decision. We had a date set but no invitations or binding contracts. We ended up needing to push the date forward 6 months. It didn´t cost us anything besides the frustration of waiting. My then fiance arrived about one and a half months before our new wedding date. It was an extremely stressful time planning everything and getting to know each other better since we were mostly separated for our whole engagement. I think you will be glad to have some time just to spend together rather than trying to have a big wedding right away. I would at least wait until you have your NOA2 and a better idea of when your interview might be scheduled before trying to sign contracts that require deposits and stuff like that. You never know if your case is going to be adjudicated faster or slower than the average. Good luck in your process!

event.png

I got my NOA1 around the same time as you with a target date at july 6th but based on the timeline and the fact that some time is needed to make sure you wont lose deposits etc, we changed the date to late sept, better weather anyway :) if it happens to get approved faster, no prob, we will be getting married on paper before the big event so it will be within the 3 months officially. I would do the same personally, plus think of it this way, technically you can marry your fiancee twice :3

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

July 7, 2013 would be a safer bet. Anything set earlier may be a disaster if you don't have the visa by then.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I wouldn't make any hard date until your process if finished. Plans great, put a down payment or plane tickets no way.

What I meant was that my wedding was already planned. Big money, big wedding. Down payment and everything was set because I was going to stay in U.S but things happened and I had to come back to Korea. It's already all paid way before. My vendors are doing me a favor to change the date w/o paying fine.

But this has to be the last change...

Honestly, it was foolish for you to set a big wedding in the first place

Regardless, and RFE will be sent close to the end of the processing. We got ours at day 161 and were approved on day 178. So no, just because you haven't received anything yet doesn't mean you won't. It is extremely unlikely that anyone has actually even looked at your case/petition. It is probablly sitting in the same filing cabinet it was when it arrived.

Our RFE took 2 weeks to process, but I've seen them take much longer (but then again, I've also seen it take much less).

I think your July wedding date is pushing the envelope. Why not change it to September? Here is GA the weather starts to break up around September into lovely, cool days.

Good luck

I wasn't foolish. Like I said in other reply. K1 was not in my plan. I had another visa in US and was able to stay and marry. But something happened and had to come back to home country. Then, this madness started...

The wedding was set when everything was fine with my life plan. Of course, I wouldn't have set the date if I knew I'd have to go through this. If 7/7 looks risky, I'm thinking of 9/1 but worry about guest having to travel on labor day weekend..

I don't have many choices cuz of the venue's available dates...

Edited by Kokonut

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think you'd be cutting it pretty darn close.

If you're a gambling man, then go for it.

But,.. I don't think you want to be adding any anxiety to an already charged situation, as this process is.

If you're real confident in your application being without problems, I'd think if you put your wedding date out to about September,... I'd be alot more confident you are not going to have to R/S, then.

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Timeline

I got my NOA1 around the same time as you with a target date at july 6th but based on the timeline and the fact that some time is needed to make sure you wont lose deposits etc, we changed the date to late sept, better weather anyway :) if it happens to get approved faster, no prob, we will be getting married on paper before the big event so it will be within the 3 months officially. I would do the same personally, plus think of it this way, technically you can marry your fiancee twice :3

I sent to Texas center but your processing would be very similar to mine. Wow!

Let's see what happens to us. Thanks for a kind advice!

No prob!! Hope we both get our NOA2s soon!!! :3

Brandy + Ben = <3
Met Feb 23rd 2010

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011

Married June 4th 2012 <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wasn't foolish. Like I said in other reply. K1 was not in my plan. I had another visa in US and was able to stay and marry. But something happened and had to come back to home country. Then, this madness started...

The wedding was set when everything was fine with my life plan. Of course, I wouldn't have set the date if I knew I'd have to go through this. If 7/7 looks risky, I'm thinking of 9/1 but worry about guest having to travel on labor day weekend..

I don't have many choices cuz of the venue's available dates...

Ok, fair enough. Let me change my wording. Regarless of your 'life plan' I think it was foolish of you to plan a 'big money' wedding without the K-1 actually in hand. Like another said, you are adding more stress to an already exceptionally stessful situation. If September 1 isn't your cup of tea, what about October? Once the visa is issued, generally there is 6 months validity on it, meaning the beneficiary has 6 months to travel to the US. You don't need to move right away, so even if the benefiary gets the visa in...say...July, you can move in August and still fulfill the 90 days to get married requirement by marrying in October.

Good luck either way!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Everyone sends their packet to the Texas center from there it is forwarded either to Vermont or California, Texas is not the processing center that is adjudicating your petition. Does the number on your NOA1 start with a W or an E?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Ok, fair enough. Let me change my wording. Regarless of your 'life plan' I think it was foolish of you to plan a 'big money' wedding without the K-1 actually in hand. Like another said, you are adding more stress to an already exceptionally stessful situation. If September 1 isn't your cup of tea, what about October? Once the visa is issued, generally there is 6 months validity on it, meaning the beneficiary has 6 months to travel to the US. You don't need to move right away, so even if the benefiary gets the visa in...say...July, you can move in August and still fulfill the 90 days to get married requirement by marrying in October.

Good luck either way!

I think what hes saying is that he had a visa and was already in the us, planning to marry and adjust status (thus, the set wedding plans) however his previous visa was cut short (the big change of plans) which resulted in them forcing to do the K1 rather than the earlier plan of marrying and adjusting status. So it doesn't seem like it was his fault for making plans because the change of plans was unforseeable. Thats what I'm getting from it anyway lol

Brandy + Ben = <3
Met Feb 23rd 2010

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011

Married June 4th 2012 <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.