Freedove7

Is it too late to request my ID's be under my Maiden name ?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Haiti
Timeline

I would like to have my Employment Authorization and all of USCIS related documents under my Maiden name.I usually put down my married name on applications b/c they ask for current legal name and maiden name...I had my name changed when I got married,but I still use my maiden name..Plus my passport and school documents are under my maiden name.Any thoughts?

Adjustment of Status from TPS to Permanent Resident

Married on December 28,2007 <3

01/18/2012 Sent I130 to USCIS

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/11/2012 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

4/23/2012 Biometric Appointment notice received

5/4/2012 Biometrics completed & the real waiting game begins !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline

Personally, no your married this is your new name. This might be and issue later with Aos and considered a fake marriage. Plus you might be unmasculating you husband how do you thing that might make

him feel.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would like to have my Employment Authorization and all of USCIS related documents under my Maiden name.I usually put down my married name on applications b/c they ask for current legal name and maiden name...I had my name changed when I got married,but I still use my maiden name..Plus my passport and school documents are under my maiden name.Any thoughts?

By using two names now; you are setting yourself up for potential huge headaches down the road. We used to be able to use names other then our given names on drivers licenses etc.; I recently had to change all those names to my legal first name given at birth and married name, and it was a real pain. Ever since 9/11 there's been an insistence on exact names being used. Either use one name or the other one, not both. Other people don't always get it when you try to explain which name you use etc.

I wouldn't advise going the route you have suggested just to avoid the headache later. But you know your situation best. :-)

Merry Christmas!

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Personally, no your married this is your new name. This might be and issue later with Aos and considered a fake marriage. Plus you might be unmasculating you husband how do you thing that might make him feel.

Completely wrong. USCIS couldn't care less. it's a personal choice and not an indicator of a "fake marriage".

Timeline

Well you are either going to take your husbands name or you're not. You can't have it both ways. You can keep your maiden name in your home country if you want or you can change your passport. Your school documents aren't an issue because you have your marriage certificate to prove the name change. You can also just "go by" your maiden name if you like, but have your legal name as your married name.

Keeping your maiden name isn't a problem for USCIS but if you've already put it on your forms you might have trouble stopping the change. if you get an interview you can request it then. You could try making an INFOPASS to change it back to maiden. But I don't know for sure if that will work because I've never tried.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline

Completely wrong. USCIS couldn't care less. it's a personal choice and not an indicator of a "fake marriage".

I see that's a risk you took (not). It's easy to say that it's not unless your a immigration lawyer and have cases behind you that speak to this, or you did it yourself and got approved Aos. However it's up to them to decide, but I personally would not do it. It also depends on the reviewers personal beliefs, maybe they are republican conservatives.

Timeline

I see that's a risk you took (not). It's easy to say that it's not unless your a immigration lawyer and have cases behind you that speak to this, or you did it yourself and got approved Aos. However it's up to them to decide, but I personally would not do it. It also depends on the reviewers personal beliefs, maybe they are republican conservatives.

There are thousands of cases on here alone (not mentioning the internet) where the last name wasn't taken. It's not an issue. It's not an indicator of fraud. It's just that simple. If you don't want to do it, that's your personal choice. I took my husbands name as it was my personal choice. Other people kept their maiden name as a middle name, or kept the maiden name as a surname because they were the last person in their family with the name, or because of professional reasons, or their spouses last name didn't go well with their first name, or they wanted to keep the same last name as their child. SO many different reasons and it's NOT fraud.

Timeline

Personally, no your married this is your new name. This might be and issue later with Aos and considered a fake marriage. Plus you might be unmasculating you husband how do you thing that might make

him feel.

Fake marriage ?? I've been with this guy since I was a teenager and we've been married for almost 4 years AND we have a kid together.Does that sound like a fake marriage to you ? lol

Lol..Like I mentioned before,I've been with this guy for almost a decade...and we've been married for almost 4 years.We also have a child together.I just prefer my last name :-D

Well you are either going to take your husbands name or you're not. You can't have it both ways. You can keep your maiden name in your home country if you want or you can change your passport. Your school documents aren't an issue because you have your marriage certificate to prove the name change. You can also just "go by" your maiden name if you like, but have your legal name as your married name.

Keeping your maiden name isn't a problem for USCIS but if you've already put it on your forms you might have trouble stopping the change. if you get an interview you can request it then. You could try making an INFOPASS to change it back to maiden. But I don't know for sure if that will work because I've never tried.

Ok.I will try to change it at the interview.Thanks.Good advice :)

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Fake marriage ?? I've been with this guy since I was a teenager and we've been married for almost 4 years AND we have a kid together.Does that sound like a fake marriage to you ? lol

Lol..Like I mentioned before,I've been with this guy for almost a decade...and we've been married for almost 4 years.We also have a child together.I just prefer my last name :-D

Ok.I will try to change it at the interview.Thanks.Good advice :)

To change your legal name you will have to file papers with your local/state court. It cannot be done by USCIS.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

To change your legal name you will have to file papers with your local/state court. It cannot be done by USCIS.

I don't want to change my legal name.I just want to go by my maiden name with USCIS.

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Timeline

I don't want to change my legal name.I just want to go by my maiden name with USCIS.

I just did some more reading and re-read your post and I now notice you said you "had your name changed". What do you mean by that? My marriage licence has name before and name after marriage on it. Is yours the same? Does it list your husbands name?? If so then as Anh said you will either need to get divorced, or change your name via deed poll.

Timeline

I just did some more reading and re-read your post and I now notice you said you "had your name changed". What do you mean by that? My marriage licence has name before and name after marriage on it. Is yours the same? Does it list your husbands name?? If so then as Anh said you will either need to get divorced, or change your name via deed poll.

I took my husbands last name when we got married.The certificate shows my new legal name and also shows my maiden name.Even though I took his last name,the law in my state says that I can still continue to use my maiden name.

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Timeline

I took my husbands last name when we got married.The certificate shows my new legal name and also shows my maiden name.Even though I took his last name,the law in my state says that I can still continue to use my maiden name.

You can continue to use yes, but you can't change it back once you've already changed it appears to be the rule.

I would try if I were you, that way you know for sure but prepare for if they tell you no you can't.

Timeline

You can continue to use yes, but you can't change it back once you've already changed it appears to be the rule.

I would try if I were you, that way you know for sure but prepare for if they tell you no you can't.

Ok Thanks :)

0/25/2012 NOA received

04/17/2012 NOA recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

USCIS has to use your legal name so if you have selected your married name as your legal name, that is the one they need to use. You can use your maiden name if you wish for general purposes, however, you will need to have your legal identification in your legal name. Dealing with immigration down the road you will need to prove the validity of the marriage and having identification in two different names at the same time may raise questions - not that they are concerned about whether you use your married name or your maiden name, but why you are using two 'legal' names.

If you wish to change your legal name back to your maiden name after you have started to use your married name and it appears as your legal name you will need to do an official name change as Anh Map suggested. Your other option is to wait until you apply for US Naturalization if you are planning on doing so. There is an option on the application to change your name legally. USCIS does the paperwork and submits it to a judge for legal approval, then processes the Naturalization petition in the legally approved name. This is the easiest and cheapest means.

As Vanessa mentioned, there is absolutely no problem with USCIS for you keeping your maiden name. In many cultures women do not take their husbands names - and women from those cultures are married to US citizens and represented here on this forum. I did not take my husbands name - I have only ever used my maiden name and it has caused me absolutely no problems with immigration. There has never been a question that my marriage isn't valid or real because I chose to keep my own name nor should it be. I answer to Mrs. Husband's last name and receive mail in that name from people who don't know otherwise, but my legal last name is my maiden name and that is the one that is on all of my identification.

So, you will need to decide what name you want to be your legal name and then take the steps to make sure all of your identification is issued in that name. You can use the other name unofficially, if you wish, but your legal identification must agree with your legal name. You may be able to manage by carrying copies of your birth certificate and marriage certificate with you at all times and be prepared for the hassle of having to show them and explaining the differences, but I really think that will cause you more problems and hardships in the long run.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.