lipslikesugar

Please advices - complicated situation

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

situation: My brother had an approved I 130 petition made by our mother.

Our mother stayed too long abroad and lost her GC status right before my brother

s interview.

On the day of my brothe's interview the consular officer said his application was invalid because mom didn't have a valid GC anymore. My mother - a permanent resident had applied for my brother's GC.

I am a usc and already applied again for my mother's GC.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up my brother's application? or I have to wait mom get her GC for the second time, and then go through the whole processing time again with my brother?

They sent us this email after the denial:

This office regrets to inform you that it is unable to issue an immigrant visa to you because you have been found ineligible to receive a visa under the following section of the Immigration and Naturalization Act (INA):

o Section 212(a) (5) (a) - We will be returning the underlying petition in your case to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security with a recommendation that the petition be revoked. Under Section 205 of the Immigration and Naturalization Act, an approved petition can be revoked if there is good and sufficient cause. The U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro believes that good and sufficient cause supports revoking this petition on the grounds that the petition is not valid. Once the petition in your case has been returned to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the petitioner will have an opportunity to present additional information proving the validity of the petition. The determination to revoke the petition, or reaffirm it, will be made by the USCIS.

Filed: Other Timeline

Best course of action for any permanent resident, not only your mother, is not to abuse her privileges and reside permanently in the U.S.

If she does that, you won't have any problems.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

There is nothing that can be done.

First poster gave good advice- petition for your brother now. That way, if your mother decides not to use her visa or gets denied, you save some time.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

There is nothing that can be done.

First poster gave good advice- petition for your brother now. That way, if your mother decides not to use her visa or gets denied, you save some time.

Why my mother's petition would be denied? She is mother of USC and never did anything illegal .

thanks anyway.

I asked because someone told me once that they could reopen his case so he won't have to go back at end of the line again.

Timeline

A visa is never guaranteed. It is unlikely your mom's visa would be denied. It is also possible she will loose her greencard a second time if she stays out of the USA again- she will likely be watched closely this time.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The fact that she did nto do what is required to maintain alien status the first places challenges on the new petition. She may have to convince USCIS and maybe eventually the consulate that it will be for real this time around.

How old is your brother?

you need to factor in the processing time your peition for your mother will take and then hopefully she is successful and gets her GC, if your brother above 21years then the time differences Between her petition for him and yours for him is best covered if you file for him NOW!!!

you dnt want to lose all these time waiting for your mom to file for him only to find out your petition for her is not approved.

on another note. she can apply for RE-ENTRY document ( this is for LPRs who have overstayed their visit outside U.S.) she will then show proof of why she overstayed etc.

I hope someone here can give you the specifics for that and if she is still eligible for it.

How long ago did she lose her GC status?

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

The fact that she did nto do what is required to maintain alien status the first places challenges on the new petition. She may have to convince USCIS and maybe eventually the consulate that it will be for real this time around.

How old is your brother?

you need to factor in the processing time your peition for your mother will take and then hopefully she is successful and gets her GC, if your brother above 21years then the time differences Between her petition for him and yours for him is best covered if you file for him NOW!!!

you dnt want to lose all these time waiting for your mom to file for him only to find out your petition for her is not approved.

on another note. she can apply for RE-ENTRY document ( this is for LPRs who have overstayed their visit outside U.S.) she will then show proof of why she overstayed etc.

I hope someone here can give you the specifics for that and if she is still eligible for it.

How long ago did she lose her GC status?

Thanks for your reply.

I do believe they can't denied my mother's petition just because its my right as her child ho have her here and she didn't do anything WRONG . If they deny it would be a a case for a attorney .The embassy in Brazil said it would be a waist of time apply for a reentry.

My brother is 18. My mom's application is under review and should be approved any moment.

she lost her status last year.

thanks again

Timeline

I do believe they can't denied my mother's petition just because its my right as her child ho have her here

Immigration is not a right. It is unlikely your mom will be denied, but not impossible.

Your brother will likely age out of the F2A category.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Immigration is not a right. It is unlikely your mom will be denied, but not impossible.

Your brother will likely age out of the F2A category.

But if he is a minor when the application is accepted in US we are good right?

Timeline

It depends on priority dates.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

It depends on priority dates.

Well, last time his case was sent to the NVC one year after the petition was made and the priority date was a few months after the receipt of application notice. So, if things didn't change a lot we should be good. I am always positive. Can't help it!!! it's what keeps me moving forward :) :) :)I don't know pessimism ;)

thanks and have a blessed day

ps: I want my brother here so bad because he is seriously ill. He needs medical treatment ASAP . In Brazil we can't offer treatment for his condition. (its not any contagious disease - its in his brain) and my mother HAD tto overstay in Brazil to care for him. At that time we had nobody there that could help us. So, it was not intentional . We just had no choice but let her GC status go to save my brother's life.

Edited by lipslikesugar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, last time his case was sent to the NVC one year after the petition was made and the priority date was a few months after the receipt of application notice. So, if things didn't change a lot we should be good. I am always positive. Can't help it!!! it's what keeps me moving forward :) :) :)I don't know pessimism ;)

thanks and have a blessed day

ps: I want my brother here so bad because he is seriously ill. He needs medical treatment ASAP . In Brazil we can't offer treatment for his condition. (its not any contagious disease - its in his brain) and my mother HAD tto overstay in Brazil to care for him. At that time we had nobody there that could help us. So, it was not intentional . We just had no choice but let her GC status go to save my brother's life.

I know how circumstances has make it neccessary to go back and take care of family, Im sorry this happened to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.