briancole

Airline madness!

62 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife and stepson have their interview scheduled for November 22! YAY! I'm so excited, finally this whole process is coming to a close. But now, how do I get them home??? I've been breaking my head against the wall trying to work out flights for them that won't completely destroy me financially. I've been working out various possibilities and I want to run them by you guys now and get your opinions on them, also to see if there's any flaws in my thinking....

1st! and most important, from everything I've read, as soon as the interview is complete and if everything goes well, they can come to the States. Is this correct? Before I buy anything I want to know for sure that this is true. I need to know if there's any kind of waiting period to be expected or whatever...

2. I'm going to fly down to Peru before the interview to be with them at the interview and help them pack and such. My first thought was to buy round-trip tickets going down there and coming from for the three of us, just obviously they wouldn't use the tickets going down, just the tickets coming home. After some research, however, it looks like if I do that, the flight will be cancelled in it's entirety if they are not on board for the first flight. Is this true? Does anyone know if this is a possible idea?

3. Seriously, one way flights are financial suicide. It'd be great if I could just buy them one-way tickets going out of Lima to where I live, but they cost so sooo much! It'd be cheaper for me to buy them round trip tickets going from Peru to the US then back to Peru, and simply not use the tickets going back! At this point it is my plan to do this, but I'm the paranoid type and worry about unforeseen problems. Would them having a round trip flight back raise suspicion with immigration or customs on the way into the country? How 'bout the airlines? Do they usually have any kind of penalty for doing this sort of thing? Seems like a fairly easy loophole to exploit, I would imagine there could be some kind of safeguard against such an action, such as a fine or whatever.

4. Finally, what am I not thinking of? What advice could you give me based on your experience? What did you do to get your loved ones home with you?

Please help me out with this, I'm trying to get my travel arrangements figured out ASAP so as to get the best possible rates. Thank you in advance for you assistance, and thank you Visa Journey for helping me get to this point!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1st! and most important, from everything I've read, as soon as the interview is complete and if everything goes well, they can come to the States. Is this correct? Before I buy anything I want to know for sure that this is true. I need to know if there's any kind of waiting period to be expected or whatever...

They can come to the US as soon as they have their visas in hand.

3. Seriously, one way flights are financial suicide. It'd be great if I could just buy them one-way tickets going out of Lima to where I live, but they cost so sooo much! It'd be cheaper for me to buy them round trip tickets going from Peru to the US then back to Peru, and simply not use the tickets going back! At this point it is my plan to do this, but I'm the paranoid type and worry about unforeseen problems. Would them having a round trip flight back raise suspicion with immigration or customs on the way into the country? How 'bout the airlines? Do they usually have any kind of penalty for doing this sort of thing? Seems like a fairly easy loophole to exploit, I would imagine there could be some kind of safeguard against such an action, such as a fine or whatever.

Buying round trip tickets because they are cheaper is common. Just don't use the return portion, furthermore, be sure to call the airline after their arrival here in the US and cancel the return tickets. The airlines already got their money, they won't care if the return portion of the ticket is not used because they will not give you any kind of refund for that portion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I do know that you can purchase round trip tickets and it wouldn't be a problem (wait until after the interview to purchase theirs). I have read other VJers doing that and it was fine.

I do feel your pain. I'm trying to get my husband here from Nigeria :wow: on the prices and also getting him here without going round the mulberry bush and back :blink:

God Bless on your interview!

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Timeline

And we'll have the visas in hand... as soon as they are approved at the Embassy after the interview? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I have to make sure!

Not sure about Peru, but ours took 1 week for Visa in hand. Others usually are mailed by courier or they pick up a few days later.

Toni

USCIS STAGE (for me):

NVC STAGE (for him):
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):

Naturalization Journey:

Timeline

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I do know that you can purchase round trip tickets and it wouldn't be a problem (wait until after the interview to purchase theirs). I have read other VJers doing that and it was fine.

I do feel your pain. I'm trying to get my husband here from Nigeria :wow: on the prices and also getting him here without going round the mulberry bush and back :blink:

God Bless on your interview!

Thank you! TBH I really don't want to wait until after the interview before I guy the tickets.... It's just a cost issue, plus it'll be harder to get them on the same flight as me, and I don't want to risk us having to go on separate flights! I know it's a gamble...

If you want to book flights before the interview you'd want to make them for at least 2 weeks after the interview. BUT also find out how long it has taken other Peruvians to get their visas in case you should allow longer.

Timeline

Not sure about Peru, but ours took 1 week for Visa in hand. Others usually are mailed by courier or they pick up a few days later.

Uff, that does throw a wrench into everything.............. My time's limited getting off work... Well, I'll look into the Peruvian embassy portion of this site again and see what it says.

Timeline

Uff, that does throw a wrench into everything.............. My time's limited getting off work... Well, I'll look into the Peruvian embassy portion of this site again and see what it says.

Good idea, they can give you more specific answers for the Peru Embassy.

Toni

USCIS STAGE (for me):

NVC STAGE (for him):
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):

Naturalization Journey:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My wife and stepson have their interview scheduled for November 22! YAY! I'm so excited, finally this whole process is coming to a close. But now, how do I get them home??? I've been breaking my head against the wall trying to work out flights for them that won't completely destroy me financially. I've been working out various possibilities and I want to run them by you guys now and get your opinions on them, also to see if there's any flaws in my thinking....

2. I'm going to fly down to Peru before the interview to be with them at the interview and help them pack and such. My first thought was to buy round-trip tickets going down there and coming from for the three of us, just obviously they wouldn't use the tickets going down, just the tickets coming home. After some research, however, it looks like if I do that, the flight will be cancelled in it's entirety if they are not on board for the first flight. Is this true? Does anyone know if this is a possible idea?

4. Finally, what am I not thinking of? What advice could you give me based on your experience? What did you do to get your loved ones home with you?

Please help me out with this, I'm trying to get my travel arrangements figured out ASAP so as to get the best possible rates. Thank you in advance for you assistance, and thank you Visa Journey for helping me get to this point!!!

1. As my interview was in England I don't know about Peru embassy - I would check the Embassy Reviews for Peru to find out if there are any waiting periods; in some countries they give you the visa the same day, in others - if everything goes well - you will get it within roughly 10 working days (or under), but could have "additional processing" if there are any open questions, so it might be worth your while to wait with booking the ticket for them until they have their passports back.

2. Your assumption is correct - if you book flights for them originating in the US and they don't use the outbound leg their entire flight will be cancelled.

3. Buying return tickets is from Peru is certainly an option but as has been said before - make sure to cancel the return flight once they are in the country; somewhere on this forum there are a couple of threads with horror stories where AOS was denied due to the fact that they booked return tickets and never cancelled the second leg and the airline hasn't updated the passenger list so when it came to AOS the IO said they aren't eligible as they had left the country before AP. Some people also said that they had issues with the airline wanting to charge a penalty - maybe a way around this could be to book the return flight long enough out to be sure to have AP or to ask the airline to suspend rather than cancel but I'm not sure on that and would probably go with cancelling the flight.

4. One option I've been looking into is to buy the tickets with airmiles as that offers a reasonable priced option to do a one-way ticket (if you have enough miles, that is). For some odd reason the if you book using your loyalty points the airlines don't put on higher charges for one-way flights.

Good luck!

Honestly, amigo? I wouldn't do anything until the visas are in hand.

Very Good Advice!!...I'm not familiar with Peru, but I would not purchase tickets until they have the Visa/Passports/Package in hand...you're taking a BIG risk.

Also, unless you really need to be there for the interview, why not just stay home and save the money. Ur gonna need it when they get to their new home.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

3. Buying return tickets is from Peru is certainly an option but as has been said before - make sure to cancel the return flight once they are in the country; somewhere on this forum there are a couple of threads with horror stories where AOS was denied due to the fact that they booked return tickets and never cancelled the second leg and the airline hasn't updated the passenger list so when it came to AOS the IO said they aren't eligible as they had left the country before AP. Some people also said that they had issues with the airline wanting to charge a penalty - maybe a way around this could be to book the return flight long enough out to be sure to have AP or to ask the airline to suspend rather than cancel but I'm not sure on that and would probably go with cancelling the flight.

This absolutely DOES NOT APPLY !!!! There is no AP requirement for a CR-1 visa just as there is no AOS.

Buy the return ticket way into the future as suggested, and then either use it later for a visit back to Peru or just let it expire.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Very Good Advice!!...I'm not familiar with Peru, but I would not purchase tickets until they have the Visa/Passports/Package in hand...you're taking a BIG risk.

Also, unless you really need to be there for the interview, why not just stay home and save the money. Ur gonna need it when they get to their new home.

I took that big *RISK* and bought tickets before visa was in hand and got lucky but I don't recomend doing so talk abt unneeded stress!

Bob

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.