taniya

Jury Duty

21 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Dear VJ members,

First of all, sorry if I am writing this topic in a wrong forum.

I am a LPR, waiting for my naturalization interview on October 2011. Yesterday I have received a letter/summons from Jury Selection Commission to report for Jury duty at September 27, 2011. Hence, I was searching on the net to know how does it work and why should it apply on me. As far as I understood through my search that Jury Commission can call any US Citizens to serve this duty & it should be taken seriously otherwise there will be severe penalty/fine. But I wonder why was it sent to me as I am still a LPR, not a US Citizen yet. So my question is

1. Did Jury Commission ask me to serve this duty by mistake?

2. Should I serve Jury duty even before I bacame a US Citizen?

3. How should I respond to Jury Commission?

Have you been through this situation? Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Just tell them that as of September 27, you are not a US Citizen and can not serve. You'll never know how long it is going to take between Interview and Oath ceremony anyway. Until then, you are still LPR and not allowed to be part of a jury.

Dear VJ members,

I am a LPR, waiting for my naturalization interview on October 2011. Yesterday I have received a letter/summons from Jury Selection Commission to report for Jury duty at September 27, 2011. Hence, I was searching on the net to know how does it work and why should it apply on me. As far as I understood through my search that Jury Commission can call any US Citizens to serve this duty & it should be taken seriously otherwise there will be severe penalty/fine. But I wonder why was it sent to me as I am still a LPR, not a US Citizen yet. So my question is

Have you been through this situation? Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Do NOT, under any circumstances serve Jury Duty before you actually ARE a US Citizen. It's absolutley possible that they sent you the letter in error, not knowing about your immigration status.

I'd just reply to them explaining that you are not a Citizen yet and therefore you cannot be on a Jury. It's not a big deal, people get out of JD for all kinds of reasons but your's is not just an excuse, you are just not allowed to, as that is pretending to be a USC which will screw up your entire naturalisation process.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Thanks for your reply. Can I just call them to inform that or I have to write to them?

You should be able to check the box saying you're not a USC and send it back. Make a copy of it and call the number as well.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Timeline

Total mistake. And they WILL ask you at your interview if you've ever registered to vote illegally or if you've claimed to be a citizen before this interview. Serious offense...so don't go. Call the clerk and send in notice that you have an interview or a copy of your greencard to prove it. If you got a US Drivers License, it's possible at the DMV they checked the box to register you to vote.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Total mistake. And they WILL ask you at your interview if you've ever registered to vote illegally or if you've claimed to be a citizen before this interview. Serious offense...so don't go. Call the clerk and send in notice that you have an interview or a copy of your greencard to prove it. If you got a US Drivers License, it's possible at the DMV they checked the box to register you to vote.

Thanks everyone for your replies and helps.

Tolsab, I am having a driving license. Do you think, I was registered as USC in DMV to vote? If so, could it be a trouble for my naturalization?

Tolsab, I am having a driving license. Do you think, I was registered as USC in DMV to vote? If so, could it be a trouble for my naturalization?

Well, I don't believe you checked that box. I think they may have done it out of habit. Just make sure to clear it up with the court clerk. They will call on you again and again if you don't. Keep that summons for your naturalization appointment.

You shouldn't be registered to vote unless you filled out a voter registration form, such as the one that was attached to the DL application. Juries are selected from a variety of public records, including voter registration rolls. Hopefully, some overzealous A.C.O.R.N. affiliate did not register you to vote without informing you first.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

they get your information from your driver's license. they don't check your status, just your information pops up. many undocumented people have been called to jury duty as well because somehow when they came to the US they got a driver's license, or they came on a work or student visa and they got a driver's license. they don't check immigration status.

just mark that you aren't a USC and return. you can also copy the phone number and call. it's a random thing.

Filed: Other Timeline

The summons are send out most often based on people who have a driver's license in that state. The system does not know whether the person is a U.S citizen or not. It's like you receiving an offer to increase the size of your #######. Obviously, if you are a woman without a #######, you can disregard this offer.

Absolutely, but only if you don't mind to be charged with a "false claim of US citizenship" which is the most severe crime, yes a felony, actually, a foreigner can commit. Once you have been released from prison, you'll be picked up by ICE and deported with a lifetime ban attached.

I must have received close to 10 of those summons and responded by putting them the recycling bin (I recycle all paper). The correct way to respond would be to return it by marking "not a U.S. citizen."

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Again, dealing with 50 different states with 50 different state statues on this issue regarding applying for a drivers's license can be mistaking taken for voters' registration as well.

Besides contacting that court that sent you that jury duty notice, would also check with your DMV that you are NOT a US citizen. At least at this time. Fortunately we live in a state where voters' registration is completely independent of the DMV.

Have to agree with JustBob on this issue, while it seems very trivial, USCIS takes this very seriously, don't bother taking this up with your congressman, to busy running for reelection. But as a LPR, still have to register for selective service, a complete contradiction in my opinion. It was because of the draft, selective service is the replacement, congress lowered the voting and the drinking age to 18 years of age. Well, in practically all states, the drinking age is back up to 21, but these kids can still vote for the idiot of their choice.

Dear VJ members,

1. Did Jury Commission ask me to serve this duty by mistake? Jury selection begins with a database of names which is gathered from the DMV, voter's registration, etc. These databases do not screen out non-citizens. Once a person is selected for jury duty, that person has to inform the court that he/she does not qualify to serve because he/she is not a US citizen.

2. Should I serve Jury duty even before I bacame a US Citizen? Absolutely not. You would be misrepresenting yourself as a US citizen. This would cost you your US citizenship. DON'T SERVE - You do not qualify to serve since you are not a US citizen.

3. How should I respond to Jury Commission? There should be a list of why you can not serve on a jury on the back of the summons. Check "not a US citizen" and return the summons.

The summons are send out most often based on people who have a driver's license in that state. The system does not know whether the person is a U.S citizen or not. It's like you receiving an offer to increase the size of your #######. Obviously, if you are a woman without a #######, you can disregard this offer.

Absolutely, but only if you don't mind to be charged with a "false claim of US citizenship" which is the most severe crime, yes a felony, actually, a foreigner can commit. Once you have been released from prison, you'll be picked up by ICE and deported with a lifetime ban attached.

I must have received close to 10 of those summons and responded by putting them the recycling bin (I recycle all paper). The correct way to respond would be to return it by marking "not a U.S. citizen."

#######????? That's funny. It's also disturbing that you used that as an example.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Get a hold of the clerk of the court, provide your documentation and the end.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Get a hold of the clerk of the court, provide your documentation and the end.

A jury summons is still a summons, and more and more courts are issuing bench warrants for not showing up. There should be a contact number on, or with the summons. If you can't get in touch with anybody, or nobody calls you back, even if you are not qualified, you are still required to report for jury duty unless excused. They will take care of all issues then and there, once you show up, and release you sooner, or later, before you actually serve on a jury, as long as you let them know before it gets to that point.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.