taniya

Jury Duty

21 posts in this topic

The one time I got jury duty, my name was misspelled in exactly the same way found on a J.Crew Catalog I regularly received as junk mail. That told me a lot about how names actually get pulled up for service - not necessarily from being registered to vote as I was also not registered to vote in that state.

To the OP - There should be a place on the form to decline service, and you put in your reason (either on the lines provided or on a separate page) and send it back. They will take you of the roster.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

they get your information from your driver's license. they don't check your status, just your information pops up. many undocumented people have been called to jury duty as well because somehow when they came to the US they got a driver's license, or they came on a work or student visa and they got a driver's license. they don't check immigration status.

just mark that you aren't a USC and return. you can also copy the phone number and call. it's a random thing.

Agree completely. My husband received one as well, and he is nowhere near time for citizenship. I was told it comes from DMV records. I am positive he did not register to vote as I was with him when the DMV forms were completed. We simply marked the form not a US citizen and sent it back. We received a letter confirming he did not need to appear and that at some point in the future he might be called again at which time his citizen/non-citizen status would be reviewed again.

event.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies & helps. I was quite worried & didn't have any information about this call. After reading all these answers, now I know how I was picked up by error and what should I do in respond to jury. I am going to mention my current status on jury questionnaire form and send it back to them. Besides I will call one of the rep to inform that. Hope they will send me some kind of confirmation in return.

Thanks again to our VJ members. I am blessed to be a part of the VJ family.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Dear VJ members,

First of all, sorry if I am writing this topic in a wrong forum.

I am a LPR, waiting for my naturalization interview on October 2011. Yesterday I have received a letter/summons from Jury Selection Commission to report for Jury duty at September 27, 2011. Hence, I was searching on the net to know how does it work and why should it apply on me. As far as I understood through my search that Jury Commission can call any US Citizens to serve this duty & it should be taken seriously otherwise there will be severe penalty/fine. But I wonder why was it sent to me as I am still a LPR, not a US Citizen yet. So my question is

1. Did Jury Commission ask me to serve this duty by mistake? YES

2. Should I serve Jury duty even before I bacame a US Citizen? NO DEFINITELY NOT

3. How should I respond to Jury Commission? GO ONLINE AND REQUEST EXEMPTION AS A NON_CITIZEN - GIVE YOUR ARC NUMBER. THE SUMMONS SHOULD HAVE DETAILS ON HOW TO DO THIS

Have you been through this situation? Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

The same thing happened to me - I got a jury Duty summons in error while I was still a Green Card Holder and waiting for my interview. I immediately went online to request that I be excused and gave my Green Card number. You should do the same. It is illegal to serve on a Jury if you are not a citizen, and if you do, you will invalidate your citizenship application. You have received the summons in error - they are sent out based on town census/property registration records, which may not have citizenship status recorded accurately.

(As it happens, I became a citizen before the date of Jury Duty ... but I could not have known that when I (correctly) applied to be excused.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband got a summons a while back. There was paperwork to fill out and send in, and he later got a postcard saying he was excused because he wasn't a citizen. Of course, he also had to fill in the members of his household and, mysteriously, I got a summons a month later :/

Edited by Maeve

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

I read the first few posts and was utterly confused as to why some are trying to make a molehill out of nothing.

FIrst of all, a Citizen MUST respond if called for jury duty. Whether you get the call for a selection is a different story.

If you are not a citizen as of the day you are responding, check out the box stating you are not a citizen, and send the mail back (with a photocopy of your green card).

I got bit confused with all suggestions and other responses. However if one is not a citizen, under any circumstances, checking any document stating as such should be a federal crime......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.