jim&nay

After all this - what happens when I get there!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

SO after becoming obsessed with a number of acroymns like NOA DOS and the likes, I have an interview date. Thank the Lord!

So What happens after POE? I feel the K1 visa flow charts don’t give you enough information about what happens when you enter the country.

I am assuming, after reading numerous sources, that in my specific situation, it will happen like this:

1. POE

2. Rush off to fill in SSN

3. Get married (we having a quickie in city hall)

4. go back to change my name in SSN

5. (in the mean time change my name on my British passport?? Can I get forms and do it easy from British consulate NYC? I won’t need it to travel for at least 6 months so time not and issue, but should I keep hold on it as I will need it for the following processes?)

6. Once I get a SSN I can be legally employed????? Employers will consider my CV/Resume in applications?

7. Start to adjustment of status process, which includes a lot of forms (again!)

8. adjustment of status turns me into a permanent resident and I get a permanent resident card? What time scale is this?

9. At what point can I take my driving test? how long does my UK drivers license "last", or can be used for?

I know all you lot who have done this know it like the back of your hand!!!! Spell it out for me please! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

SSN is not a work authorization document. You need your SSN and your employment authorization document. You will apply for this when you apply for your adjustment of status AFTER you are married. Until then you cannot work

Driving tests are based on the state you will be going to and their requirements for immigrants

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You should wait 2 weeks to get our SSN, to give the computer a chance to update with your POE information.

A SSN by itself does not allow you to work, you need an EAD to work. Apply for an EAD with your AOS paperwork.

AOS takes 3-5 months.

Driver's License is a state matter, so every state is different. Most can't get a DL until they have their GC.

There is a whole AOS forum further down that will answer even more questions!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

If AOS is approved without interview, like mine, it can take less than 2 months.

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Don't quote me on this but I think probably the easiest way to do SSN is to go straight after your married as it takes 2-3 weeks for you to show in the system and then you don't have to worry about going to the office twice and changing your name you can just go and register your married name straight away. I remember reading on here a few people had issues when they went to change their name at the SSN office, just make sure you bring all your documents like ID, passport with visa and marriage certificate with you when you go.

With regards to working I'm sure there is nothing stopping you looking for work and getting a job lined up its just you can't work until you get the EAD document which takes around 90 days from filing AOS. Make sure you file the I-765 document along with all your other AOS documents as its free when you file with AOS. Good luck with your interview!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My now husband got his SSN before the wedding. He is currently getting ready to apply for his driver's license but he has been driving since he got here with his UK license with no problems.

09/15/1994 First met around this time

10/15/1998 Got separated...

12/05/2008 Met again and officially started dating

07/31/2010 129F package sent out to VSC

08/02/2010 129F package received at VSC

08/06/2010 Check cleared (date on check 08/05/2010 @ Lewisville, TX)

08/09/2010 NOA1 received in the mail (notice date 08/05/10; package received date 08/02/10)

08/12/2010 touched (updated...)

10/03/2010 touched (updated...)

02/28/2011 NOA2 approved (text, email 5:45PM)

03/07/2011 NVC received info, NOA2 hard copy received

03/16/2011 Medical exam

03/21/2011 Package left NVC

03/23/2011 Package received by London Embassy (well the tracked package says arrived but info still not logged in system!?!?)

03/29/2011 Info logged into Embassy system

04/02/2011 Packet 3 mailed to London Embassy

04/06/2011 Instructions for Packet 3 mailed to fiance

04/07/2011 Packet 3 received by Embassy

05/09/2911 Medical results sent to Embassy (finally!!!)

06/02/2011 Interview-- Approved YEAH!!!

06/30/2011 POE- Philadelphia :)

08/13/2011 Married!!!

See my timeline for AOS and other details...

I know you're worried about all the stuff you "HAVE" to do, but don't forget to take time to enjoy finally being with your loved one. You're getting married!!! Quickie or not....ENJOY yourself. Worry about everything else afterwards!!!

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

I know you're worried about all the stuff you "HAVE" to do, but don't forget to take time to enjoy finally being with your loved one. You're getting married!!! Quickie or not....ENJOY yourself. Worry about everything else afterwards!!!

Agree! *thumbs up* Sorry I don't know how to add an emoticon. hehe! =)

Filed: Country: South Korea
Timeline

SO after becoming obsessed with a number of acroymns like NOA DOS and the likes, I have an interview date. Thank the Lord!

So What happens after POE? I feel the K1 visa flow charts don’t give you enough information about what happens when you enter the country.

I am assuming, after reading numerous sources, that in my specific situation, it will happen like this:

1. POE

5. (in the mean time change my name on my British passport?? Can I get forms and do it easy from British consulate NYC? I won’t need it to travel for at least 6 months so time not and issue, but should I keep hold on it as I will need it for the following processes?)

6. Once I get a SSN I can be legally employed????? Employers will consider my CV/Resume in applications?

7. Start to adjustment of status process, which includes a lot of forms (again!)

8. adjustment of status turns me into a permanent resident and I get a permanent resident card? What time scale is this?

9. At what point can I take my driving test? how long does my UK drivers license "last", or can be used for?

I know all you lot who have done this know it like the back of your hand!!!! Spell it out for me please! 

Adjustment of status will make you a conditional resident. You then must submit an I-751, Petition to remove Conditions on residency 90 days prior to the 2 yr anniversary of your AOS. Include as much documentation to prove you are in a valid marriage. Docs must show both names as in joint accounts, life insurance policies, wills, etc. A child born during the marriage is a golden ticket.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

So What happens after POE? I feel the K1 visa flow charts don't give you enough information about what happens when you enter the country.

1. POE

5. (in the mean time change my name on my British passport?? Can I get forms and do it easy from British consulate NYC? I won't need it to travel for at least 6 months so time not and issue, but should I keep hold on it as I will need it for the following processes?)

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Best to wait 2 weeks for SSS application, can complete for on line. You need to make wedding plans get certificates, fill out paperwork for i485, it will take time. Then more waiting. You can get Drivers License but it will expire when I 94 expires, then renew for 1 year while i485 is processed. Hope that helps see vj guides.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

You can get Drivers License but it will expire when I 94 expires, then renew for 1 year while i485 is processed.

BigDog, that is not true in every state. Many states won't give a license with less than 6 months remaining on the I-94. Since a K1 only gets 90 days, there's no way to get a licence using the I-94 in states that require 6 months+.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Nich-Nick gave you the information, but forgot to mention that when you book a flight, it needs to be in the same name as your passport. The reason you carry a marriage certificate with you is to connect the green card (in your married name) to the passport in your maiden name, which will allow you to check in for the return to US flight. Provided you tuck a certified copy of your marriage certificate into the back of your passport, it'll do until it expires. The only drawback with doing this is that you normally end up having to check in at a desk, or you will need a supervisor to assist you on the check in machines as the names on your passport and green card don't match.

As previously mentioned, it is MUCH cheaper to name change your passport back in the UK. :)

Driving licence requirements change with each state. Normally you can drive on a UK licence until you are issued with an EAD or green card. Once you have either of those, the driver centers will normally allow you to apply for a permit and take the written test.

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.