jim&nay

After all this - what happens when I get there!

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you all very much for your responces!

Nich-Nick - most consise answer as always :-)

Glyn and Kathy - you hit the nail on the head - enjoy it!!! i know ive had bloody months of worrying about this form and that form, etc. but I still have 6 weeks to wait till I get over there (estimated!) therefore, may as well use this time to try and prep as much as I can! FYI, Im moving to New York, and so Im sure your driving advice applies there. You all helped me out a lot, thanks :-)

Yeah, good idea to worry about the AOS paperwork now and then once you actually get married you can focus on enjoying yourselves, and just add a few finishing touches to the forms etc :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My suggestions---

1. POE

2. Rush off to fill in SSN Wait 10-14 days

*Find out requirements for a marriage license in the state where you will marry.

3. Get married (we having a quickie in city hall) Get certified copy of your marriage certificate.

4. go back to change my name in SSN Just wait for your EAD or greencard, then fix name and get the statement removed from your card at the same time.

5. (in the mean time change my name on my British passport?? Can I get forms and do it easy from British consulate NYC? I won’t need it to travel for at least 6 months so time not and issue, but should I keep hold on it as I will need it for the following processes?) Keep it until it expires. Travel with marriage certificate to show why passpoert and greencard have different names. Expensive to get from Washington DC British Embassy so save the money for now.

6. Once I get a SSN I can be legally employed????? Employers will consider my CV/Resume in applications? No work until EAD or GC in hand

7. Start to adjustment of status process, which includes a lot of forms (again!) My list if you like a general idea of what's involved. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FIsgnb7Tfj7tcRNnqRMKUOXQdEfR6HTUDY2vX6zKqqU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CNXN_oQH

8. adjustment of status turns me into a permanent resident and I get a permanent resident card? What time scale is this?

9. At what point can I take my driving test? how long does my UK drivers license "last", or can be used for? Varies by state. Some it's not until greencard. Others the NOA for AOS will do. Driving on UK license as a "visitor" for one year or until GC is generally acceptable in all states. No way to answer without knowing your state.

I know all you lot who have done this know it like the back of your hand!!!! Spell it out for me please! 

I wanted to add that I went online to check the requirements for my state for marriage. I found a site for the county I live in and I called other counties nearby. I read and was told that we could not marry without a social security number. Someone on VJ-can't remember who-pointed out there was a law stating if the fiance does not have a social security number, he could sign an affadavit stating he does not and just provide the visa with his British passport. I called the little county I wanted to marry in and had to get pushy. I got them to research the law and we will now be able to marry!!! I know Arkansas and Colorado work this way-and now have found out Missouri works this way. You might want to research the laws yourself if you find info online stating your state MUST have a social security number. The site I found was the official county website even and it turns out it didn't accurately reflect the state law. Just be sure to have the statute for them to research but you might want to get on that immediately as it took them a week and some to get back to me.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.