yapasdeprobleme

Work Permits, IDs, SSNs, etc

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

My fiance has been in the states about six weeks - timing was terrible - he arrived just as I was traveling a ton for work. Anyway - I'm finally sitting down to try to figure out how to get him established as an actual person here, and I seem to be running circles. I want to get him a Non-driver ID card, but I need a SSN for him for that. But of course, to get him a SSN, he needs proof of citizenship. To open a bank account he needs both things...

So, where do I start?

We will marry in about a month - but for the moment, is there nothing I can do?

7/30/10 - 129F petition Sent to VSC

8/4/10 - NOA 1

10/3/10 - Touched

1/24/11 - Called VSC. Useless

2/1/11 - NOA 2 APPROVED TXT/Email notification

5/4/11 - Interview in Dakar

5/7/11 - Entry into USA @IAD

9/17/11 - AOS, EAD and AP mailed to USCIS

9/28/11 - NOA 1 rec'd for all three

10/18/11 - biometrics (missed due to illness)

12/5/11 - biometrics

12/23/11 - NOA 2- I485 moved to CSC

12/23/11 - EAD approved

1/13/12 - EAD rec'd - wrong DOB

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As long as he has more than 14 days left on his I-94 he's eligible for a SSN so go to the SSA to get him that.

Soon as he gets the SSN then he can get his licence, find out if there's a deadline on that because some states won't let you get one if your I-94 is expired... so check that out.

Once you're married apply for AOS (there's a guide in my signature). Easy peasy :) Just requires some work and planning. You'll do fine :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. check out whether he needs a SSn to get married at the marriage certificate getting place

2. get a SSN now, Wednesday, go in person.

3. file a marriage certificate

4. get married

and that's it - for the 'under 90 days window'

study the aos packets in the guides section, and good luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If he needs proof of " Citizenship " hes going to be waiting 3 years to get an SSN.

Never needed that to get my SSN though! just used the passport, visa, valid I-94 and marriage cert! Applied 2 weeks after entry and got my SSN a few weeks later in the mail.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malawi
Timeline

Check the rules for ID cards/drivers licenses in your state - we have my husbands SSN now, but they still won't issue him even an ID card until we provide them with evidence of permanent residence status (we're in California). We're gonna hafta wait months for the AOS process until he can even get a state ID. :(

K-1 Visa
05/17/2010 – Petition mailed to USCIS via certified return receipt.
05/27/2010 – NOA1 issued
06/03/2010 – Touch/NOA1 hard copy received in US Mail
10/27/2010 – 5 month mark
10/28/2010 – Spoke to USCIS representative – 'still pending'
11/04/2010 – Spoke to USCIS representative – 'still pending', but service request generated
11/05/2010 – Notified that background checks are not complete - looks like we're in for a looong wait...
12/07/2010 – Received email notification of NOA2
12/16/2010 – NVC sent the case to Embassy in Malawi
02/28/2011 – Interview
03/14/2011 – VISA APPROVED!
05/04/2011 – Fiance and I came back to the U.S. together! smile.png
07/01/2011 – Married!

AOS
07/02/2011 – I-485 packet mailed to USCIS via certified return receipt.
07/06/2011 – Packet accepted.
07/07/2011 – Check cashed and NOA1 issued.
07/22/2011 – Received biometrics letter.
07/29/2011 – Biometrics completed (walk-in)
08/23/2011 – EAD Approved
08/31/2011 – EAD card arrived in the mail.
09/12/2011 – AOS interview - APPROVED! GC production ordered
09/21/2011 – Green Card received!!!

Removal of Conditions

06/13/2013 - I-751 packet mailed to USCIS via certified return receipt.

06/17/2013 - NOA issued

06/19/2013 - Check cashed

06/21/2013 - Received NOA in mail.

06/26/2013 - Received biometrics letter.

07/02/2013 - Biometrics completed (walk-in)

11/18/2013 - APPROVED! Card production ordered

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

As long as he has more than 14 days left on his I-94 he's eligible for a SSN so go to the SSA to get him that.

Soon as he gets the SSN then he can get his licence, find out if there's a deadline on that because some states won't let you get one if your I-94 is expired... so check that out.

Once you're married apply for AOS (there's a guide in my signature). Easy peasy :) Just requires some work and planning. You'll do fine :)

FYI - the limit is now 30 days. your I94 has to be good 30 days past the application date. We waited too long and couldn't get it, and now we have to wait until his visa is reissued (change of status to whatever's after the K1 visa) before we can apply for it. don't delay! go the minute you arrive!

7/30/10 - 129F petition Sent to VSC

8/4/10 - NOA 1

10/3/10 - Touched

1/24/11 - Called VSC. Useless

2/1/11 - NOA 2 APPROVED TXT/Email notification

5/4/11 - Interview in Dakar

5/7/11 - Entry into USA @IAD

9/17/11 - AOS, EAD and AP mailed to USCIS

9/28/11 - NOA 1 rec'd for all three

10/18/11 - biometrics (missed due to illness)

12/5/11 - biometrics

12/23/11 - NOA 2- I485 moved to CSC

12/23/11 - EAD approved

1/13/12 - EAD rec'd - wrong DOB

Filed: Timeline

Suggest that individuals that have entered the United States with non-immigrant status wait at least 10 calendar days before submitting a Social Security number (SSN) application to allow the Department of Homeland Security time to record entry into their database, but individuals are not required to wait 10 days before applying.

RM 10213.305 Procedure when an SSN Applicant Files for an SSN within 10 Days of Arriving in the U.S or Having a Change in Status:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110213305

An individual that entered the United States with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at an SSA office to establish his or her age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

Example: If the immigration document, for example, Form I-94, Form I-551, Form I-766, is used to establish work authorization and identity, the alien must provide another document to establish age.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual that entered the United States with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, for example, Form I-551, Form I-766, to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 10211.420 Employment Authorization for Non-immigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420

RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025

Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card.

Suggest that individuals apply for a corrected SSN card to update the SSN record when there has been a name change due to marriage.

SSA accepts all marriage documents issued within the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

RM 10212.025 Evidence of Name Change based on a US Ceremonial Marriage:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212025

SSA can accept a name change document based on marriage as evidence of the new name to be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the marriage document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse or takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse or takes one part of the other parties’ compound surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s original surname for either or both parties.

Example:

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE-WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen),

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also

have a hyphen or not have a space)

-- FOSTER WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen)

-- FOSTER LEE WALSH (in any order, with or without spaces or hyphens)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the SSN record, and the marriage took place within the prior two years.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document, for example, Form I-94.

If the required documents show clearly different names, SSA cannot accept the evidence to process the application. In these situations, the applicant must submit evidence showing the same name, or submit evidence of a name change that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

If an acceptable evidence document is in a language other than English and no other acceptable document is available, SSA will have the foreign language document translated by an authorized translator.

SSA translators comprise two groups:

-- Field office and Payment Center employees who volunteer their

services as translators

-- Central Translation Section translators who hold actual translator

positions.

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. In some situations SSA can accept alternative evidence of age. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, for example, foreign passport.

You can find links to detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Web site:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210250

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551

Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-

551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired

foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an

unexpired foreign passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

Secondary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver’s license (excludes licenses known to be

suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State

agency which issues driver’s licenses/State-level agency with

issuing authority over the State’s identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant’s name

either the applicant’s date of birth (DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or

letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in

addition to the applicant’s name, the applicant’s DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the

person’s name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in

addition to the applicant’s name, either a photograph of the

applicant or the applicant’s DOB

-- Life insurance policy for the person showing his/her age or DOB.

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application.

RM 10210.405 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210405

RM 10210.420 List of Documents in Priority of Acceptability for Use as Evidence of Identity:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210420

SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document, or an immigration document with a “valid from” date in the future.

Exception: SSA can accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by a Form I-797C (Notice of Action) stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year as evidence of LPR status.”

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA, or Las Vegas, NV area should apply at their local Social Security Card Center.

Individuals residing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area should apply at the Twin Cities Card Center.

Card Center Information:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and required document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate DHS Status Verification Office (SVO) for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) to be mailed to the appropriate DHS SVO along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, for example, Form I-94, was issued, for example, married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, that is, SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14-day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14-day period and entered the 14-day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/78

An individual assigned an SSN based on K-1 status will be issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION,” printed on the card.

An SSN card having the legend, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION,” only means that the number holder cannot use the SSN card as proof of authorization to work in the United States. It does not otherwise affect the validity of the card or number.

When an individual previously issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION” printed on it has been granted permanent residency, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card and will retain the originally assigned SSN.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Yes, everything listed here is correct.

Except in Minneapolis,MN they don't want issue SSNumber after you get married with a K1 !!!

I tried twice, after providing all documents to apply for it, and all documents from their web site (0110211420) and even documentation from DHS web site, proving that I'm eligible for a SSNumber with a K1. It doesn't help... They still claim my status changed because I got married ! I even explain them Social Security can't decide the change of my status , only DHS after applying for an AOS can, K1 status remain in effect after wedding until DHS change your status.

I read some other recent thread about that topic, and some people experienced the same issue in different states.

Maybe it could be great to add a note in the "step by step guide to get SSN", something like "Do your SSN application before to get married!".

Regards,

Jeff75

Suggest that individuals that have entered the United States with non-immigrant status wait at least 10 calendar days before submitting a Social Security number (SSN) application to allow the Department of Homeland Security time to record entry into their database, but individuals are not required to wait 10 days before applying.

RM 10213.305 Procedure when an SSN Applicant Files for an SSN within 10 Days of Arriving in the U.S or Having a Change in Status:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110213305

An individual that entered the United States with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at an SSA office to establish his or her age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity, and current lawful employment authorized status.

Example: If the immigration document, for example, Form I-94, Form I-551, Form I-766, is used to establish work authorization and identity, the alien must provide another document to establish age.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual that entered the United States with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, for example, Form I-551, Form I-766, to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 10211.420 Employment Authorization for Non-immigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420

RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025

Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN, or issued a card.

Suggest that individuals apply for a corrected SSN card to update the SSN record when there has been a name change due to marriage.

SSA accepts all marriage documents issued within the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

RM 10212.025 Evidence of Name Change based on a US Ceremonial Marriage:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212025

SSA can accept a name change document based on marriage as evidence of the new name to be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the marriage document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse or takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse or takes one part of the other parties’ compound surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s original surname for either or both parties.

Example:

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE-WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen),

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also

have a hyphen or not have a space)

-- FOSTER WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen)

-- FOSTER LEE WALSH (in any order, with or without spaces or hyphens)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the SSN record, and the marriage took place within the prior two years.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document, for example, Form I-94.

If the required documents show clearly different names, SSA cannot accept the evidence to process the application. In these situations, the applicant must submit evidence showing the same name, or submit evidence of a name change that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

If an acceptable evidence document is in a language other than English and no other acceptable document is available, SSA will have the foreign language document translated by an authorized translator.

SSA translators comprise two groups:

-- Field office and Payment Center employees who volunteer their

services as translators

-- Central Translation Section translators who hold actual translator

positions.

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. In some situations SSA can accept alternative evidence of age. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, for example, foreign passport.

You can find links to detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Web site:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210250

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551

Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-

551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired

foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card in combination with an

unexpired foreign passport

Note: Document must be unexpired

Secondary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver’s license (excludes licenses known to be

suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State

agency which issues driver’s licenses/State-level agency with

issuing authority over the State’s identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant’s name

either the applicant’s date of birth (DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or

letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in

addition to the applicant’s name, the applicant’s DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the

person’s name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in

addition to the applicant’s name, either a photograph of the

applicant or the applicant’s DOB

-- Life insurance policy for the person showing his/her age or DOB.

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application.

RM 10210.405 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210405

RM 10210.420 List of Documents in Priority of Acceptability for Use as Evidence of Identity:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210420

SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document, or an immigration document with a “valid from” date in the future.

Exception: SSA can accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by a Form I-797C (Notice of Action) stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year as evidence of LPR status.”

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office or Card Center. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA, or Las Vegas, NV area should apply at their local Social Security Card Center.

Individuals residing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area should apply at the Twin Cities Card Center.

Card Center Information:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and required document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate DHS Status Verification Office (SVO) for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) to be mailed to the appropriate DHS SVO along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, for example, Form I-94, was issued, for example, married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, that is, SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14-day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14-day period and entered the 14-day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/78

An individual assigned an SSN based on K-1 status will be issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION,” printed on the card.

An SSN card having the legend, “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION,” only means that the number holder cannot use the SSN card as proof of authorization to work in the United States. It does not otherwise affect the validity of the card or number.

When an individual previously issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION” printed on it has been granted permanent residency, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card and will retain the originally assigned SSN.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.