spikedog

What are your 'friends' saying?

221 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

"Modern Marriage"..... what is wrong with just good old fashioned marriage??? My grandparents were married for 50 years, my great grandparents for 60+ years. I think this "modern marriage" thing ain't working. I see nothing wrong with a good old fashioned marriage. If the husband plans for his family, she is taken care of. The major problem is FAMILY. The WOMAN is taking care of herself, because the family is not being taught to take care of family. The question is, if the man is working, and the woman is working who is teaching the values to the kids? the man is working to provide for the family. the woman is working for who? the family? herself? financial freedom? things we want and need? a better house? a newer car? Are these proper values? What values are the kids learning? When society loses site of the value of teaching the children, society itself loses the values which were important to define morality.

I have no problem with woman working. But when it takes away from the family. From the husband and wife relationship. When work takes her away from the children, form a family being a family. THEN I HAVE a problem with it. this is just me. others have their own views.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

"I often see this logical fallacy you employed here: I have a PhD whereas my wife has only a couple years of college. Therefore I have more power in the relationship. This is always presented in an abusive light of course. She is the victim of this power. So strong education in the husband is a negative. Maturity in the husband is a negative. She is not a beneficiary of my education and my maturity. The poor girl is victimized by it! I should be stupider and more immature! I should be a pauper and have her living on the edge of starvation. Then I would not be abusing her with the power of my greater income.

No matter what argument you try to mount against consenting adults marrying, you are going to lose. Because all adults have equal rights to marry,"

There is something here that strikes a chord. When I was growing up, the impression I got in my family was this: my Dad had his doctorate, two masters degrees...my Mom, who grew up on 'just a farm and had only a high school education' (in quotes because it is how my Dad would express it) was generally a stay-at-home Mom, although she worked a 'little' job, which my Dad always said actually cost him more in taxes than supplemented the income. In other words, my Mom was never considered good enough just wanting to be a Mom and do what she did best. I was always encouraged to learn all the things that traditionally a man would do - like try to figure what was going on with the car engine, and mowing the lawn, I always had the impression that I wasn't good enough until I got a 'profession' and basically learn how to live on my own with no one's help and told I needed to take care of myself. At the same time, my brothers got to do a lot of things that I never was allowed to do, and they no longer had to do chores at home, because they supposedly had more important responsibilities. So, I think that there were definately mixed messages taught to girls, at least during the X generation. A conflict between the 'old' and the 'new'. Therefore, during my twenties I had no clue, really, who I was or what I was 'supposed to do'. To me, women have a stronger tendency to nurture, but I felt like this was somehow demeaned.

I think that is why I have sought a partner outside of my culture - because, I have to agree, this culture does not always seem to value people for who they are...

Edited by Golden Gate

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

"Modern Marriage"..... what is wrong with just good old fashioned marriage??? My grandparents were married for 50 years, my great grandparents for 60+ years. I think this "modern marriage" thing ain't working. I see nothing wrong with a good old fashioned marriage. If the husband plans for his family, she is taken care of. The major problem is FAMILY. The WOMAN is taking care of herself, because the family is not being taught to take care of family. The question is, if the man is working, and the woman is working who is teaching the values to the kids? the man is working to provide for the family. the woman is working for who? the family? herself? financial freedom? things we want and need? a better house? a newer car? Are these proper values? What values are the kids learning? When society loses site of the value of teaching the children, society itself loses the values which were important to define morality.

I have no problem with woman working. But when it takes away from the family. From the husband and wife relationship. When work takes her away from the children, form a family being a family. THEN I HAVE a problem with it. this is just me. others have their own views.

I agree!:thumbs:

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When I was growing up, the impression I got in my family was this: my Dad had his doctorate, two masters degrees...my Mom, who grew up on 'just a farm and had only a high school education' (in quotes because it is how my Dad would express it) was generally a stay-at-home Mom, although she worked a 'little' job, which my Dad always said actually cost him more in taxes than supplemented the income. In other words, my Mom was never considered good enough just wanting to be a Mom and do what she did best. I was always encouraged to learn all the things that traditionally a man would do - like try to figure what was going on with the car engine, and mowing the lawn, I always had the impression that I wasn't good enough until I got a 'profession' and basically learn how to live on my own with no one's help and told I needed to take care of myself. At the same time, my brothers got to do a lot of things that I never was allowed to do, and they no longer had to do chores at home, because they supposedly had more important responsibilities. So, I think that there were definately mixed messages taught to girls, at least during the X generation. A conflict between the 'old' and the 'new'. Therefore, during my twenties I had no clue, really, who I was or what I was 'supposed to do'. To me, women have a stronger tendency to nurture, but I felt like this was somehow demeaned.

I think that is why I have sought a partner outside of my culture - because, I have to agree, this culture does not always seem to value people for who they are...

Interesting. The part about your dad saying her income cost more in taxes than she earned is of course absurd. He was either being melodramatic or he might actually have been mentally abusive when taken alongside the business about your mom never being considered good enough: Invalidate her work effort by pretending it actually reduced their income instead of increasing it. There seem to have been double standards going on in your household too. And finally, yea - I could not agree more about the role of nurturing, and to demean that is wrong.

Hmmm for me I just simply cannot not work. I grew up with both parents working. My mom is very successful, she is the manager for the PAL airport. As a speech therapist, I have handled so many post-stroke clients who are usually male, and the breadwinners of the family. Once they got sick, the family lost all their money and they start to struggle since everyone just relies on his income. Having seen this so many times, I vowed that I will never be in s single income household because I fear this situation. My hubby and I agree with this. When we have kids, we already made plans to either have me work in a hospital setting so that they could be in the hospital daycare and I can still see them, and when they are school age ill transfer to work in a school setting so I can still always kind of be where they are at. I am and probably never will be the stay at home mom type. My mom wasn't but I would think that my family is extremely tight and functional. My parents are still married and as in love as can be. And I saw how my parents started with nothing and worked hard to rise, and so we were never materialistic and we didn't have fancy cars or houses. All I am saying is that having both people work is not always bad :) I have nothing against stay at home moms though

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

:thumbs:

It doesn't matter to me what others think. I have been married to my beautiful Filipina 4 years today........ Life is great!!!!!!! :dance:

:thumbs::dance::thumbs::dance::thumbs::dance:

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

the problem is we all have differing views. No one person is going to win against another person. What matters is the ROLES in the relationship. HOW the husband treats his bride, and how the bride treats her husband. They have to join as one, and be as one. If they agree to her working outside the home who am I to say otherwise? My concern is for bride to be taken care of, she is my treasure.

Instead of making the marriage and joining as one, the women are determining in themselves to NOT be in the problem of money. It is not the choice of being in a marriage, but the inability to choose what is most important. then "asking" the husband if that is "ok". However, the money is put to use as second income, buying things they might not otherwise afford instead of saving for the "rainy day" as was agreed to have done.

Not to be demeaning, the woman working outside the home when having kids DOES cost more then when the bride is at home. Factor in these costs: 1) meals (lunches for kids, dinners, how many times more is eating out done or frozen meals?), 2)cost of daycare, 3) teaching/ tutoring, who does this when both parents do not help with homework 4) income bracket changes, if money not saved your income bracket for taxes usually changes, 5) clothing, now the bride also needs work clothes as well as the man, "dress for success". 6) car/house/yard maintenance, who is taking care of things 7) savings, is savings going up or going down

this attitude in women can be found anywhere in the world. To many people think that being "submissive" equals being a "slave" or "weak" or "inferior". this is wrong thinking. true leadership is the ability to be a true servant. True submission is the ability to acknowledge the leadership of the other in the household. submission is the recognizing of the servant leader. Not all men are good servant leaders. But does this not also come form the fact of children not being taught inside the home? what would happen in the brides started teaching their children how t be respectful of a woman, while at hte same time the husband taught how to be a servant leader? Marriage is the art of sacrifice un which the other knows the sacrifice is for the greater good of the marriage. To many times the focus is one what is given up versus what was done.

Men want to love their wives with all of their heart. Treasure their bride. the problem is the bride not wanting to accept being loved. Instead of completely joining together. the husband and bride are still separate. too much is focused on selfishness versus selflessness. If you say the husband cannot provide for me, and I must protect my own future when he is gone. Is this truly committing to the marriage, or asking the husband to submit to something. Who is being asked to submit to who?

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

My mom was the only one who made a comment about how I was not having much trouble, "...raising a wife."

:lol:

My mother knows I am the one being "raised".

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

I often see this logical fallacy you employed here: I have a PhD whereas my wife has only a couple years of college. Therefore I have more power in the relationship. This is always presented in an abusive light of course. She is the victim of this power. So strong education in the husband is a negative. Maturity in the husband is a negative. She is not a beneficiary of my education and my maturity. The poor girl is victimized by it! I should be stupider and more immature! I should be a pauper and have her living on the edge of starvation. Then I would not be abusing her with the power of my greater income.

Another fine example of how an education does not a smart person make.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Timeline

I didn't read Steven's post as saying Filipina's are helpless, unworthy, etc. as you are trying to say. Rather, I read it as saying that when a woman is financially dependent on a husband who is vastly older than her, she can be vulnerable after his death. The key words here are "when a woman is financially dependent." Wouldn't you agree that if a younger woman, who doesn't work outside the home, is married to a much older man and is entirely dependent on him financially, she is at risk of being vulnerable (financially -- not as a "weak woman") should he die unexpectedly?

I've known (and know) lots of Filipinas and I'd never say they are weak or frail or helpless :lol: but none of my friends are married to much older men and all of them work outside the home, have university degrees or specialty certifications, etc.

Oh, great! The ex-wives club showed up. :blink:

Another fine example of how an education does not a smart person make.

Trolling much these days? :whistle:

Are you for real?

:rofl: RJ is looking for a fight.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

That's a lot of talking - alrighty - who's thirsty ????

Time for some Mango Tastea !!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.