Dave H

Driving In U.S

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have not applied for my drivers license yet, as I don't have enough I.D proof to apply yet.

But I was wanting to know if I can drive my wife's car (U.S.C.). My wife says I can, but my U.K insurance only allowed me to drive abroad for 30 days, that time has now passed. Also my wife does not have me as a named driver on her insurance.

My wife wants me to drive as much as possible but I really don't think I am allowed.

Many Thanks

Dave :)

Hi all,

I have not applied for my drivers license yet, as I don't have enough I.D proof to apply yet.

But I was wanting to know if I can drive my wife's car (U.S.C.). My wife says I can, but my U.K insurance only allowed me to drive abroad for 30 days, that time has now passed. Also my wife does not have me as a named driver on her insurance.

My wife wants me to drive as much as possible but I really don't think I am allowed.

Many Thanks

If I am getting this right, you wol dbe driving her ein the US, with a UK license, correct? Most states allow 30 days before you need to change a license, but goven circumstance, I think you would be ok ,now for insurance, it is her insuracen her ein the US who detemines coverage. You don't necesarily have to be register as a drive; again, in many states and depending of the insurance, the insurance comapnies allow a driver (no need to register) that is 'visiting'. The 'visiting' can be subject to interpretation though...I'd suggest calling them and getting in writing, whatever is that they allow. When my folks or siblings come to visit (from overseas), they are ok, but they rarely stay past 30 days. My insurance is ok with it (I'm in TX by the way). My insurance only wants to know if I have given permission to drive my cars. And for illustrations, 2-3 years back, my sister took my truck to go shopping and it got stolen, to make things worst, the cops catched up with the guy and after a TV-like chase, my truck got totaled....I called the insurance, and same day (Sunday) someone showed at my house with papers to sign....week later I had a new truck....

Hope this helps

You need to go to your state's DMV website to find out the law.

For Florida, it's mandatory to have insurance...you have to have a license and show several items of proof of identity and residency.

Sure, you can drive...but if you get caught without a license or without insurance, you could get in legal trouble.

I would suggest working on getting your ID documentation and then get your US license. You may have to wait a few more months, but better that than get in trouble if caught. Do you want to risk it?

Married in Dominican Republic: 4-Sept-2010

I-130 Packet arrives at Chicago Lockbox: 29-Sept-2010

NOA1: 06-Oct-2010

NOA2: 19-Jan-2011

NVC Received file from CSC: 27-Jan-2011

Received DS-3032 and AOS bill: 27-Jan-2011

Paid AOS bill: 28-Jan-2011

Submitted DS-3032 via email (per NVC's authorization): 30-Jan-2011

Called NVC about AOS packet: 3-Feb-2011 (okay to send documents)

Mailed out AOS packet: 5-Feb-2011

AOS packet delivered to NVC: 7-Feb-2011

DS-3032 received by NVC: 8-Feb-2011

NVC Acknowleges AOS payment: 8-Feb-2011 (finally)

Received IV Bill: 14-Feb-2011

Paid IV Bill: 14-Feb-2011

NVC Acknowledges AOS paperwork was received and requests IV application: 25-Feb-2011

Mailed out DS-230 and supporting civil documents: 26-Feb-2011

DS-230 packet delivered to NVC: 28-Feb-2011

Case completed at NVC: 28-Mar-2011

Waited about 2 weeks for an interview date

Received packet 4 and interview appointment letter: 11-Apr-2011

Interview scheduled at Santo Domingo: 4-May-2011

Spouse had Medical Exam: 15-Apr-2011

Visa Approved!!!! 4-May-2011

Husband received visa from DOMEX: 17-May-2011

Husband's POE date June 24, 2011

You need to go to your state's DMV website to find out the law.

For Florida, it's mandatory to have insurance...you have to have a license and show several items of proof of identity and residency.

Sure, you can drive...but if you get caught without a license or without insurance, you could get in legal trouble.

I would suggest working on getting your ID documentation and then get your US license. You may have to wait a few more months, but better that than get in trouble if caught. Do you want to risk it?

I believe I need insurance too to drive her car, So I think I may wait to drive any more or until I get a U.S license. Like you say, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you reside in the same residence you must be specifically insured on the car. For example my son who lives at home is NOT insured on my car. My daughter who is on her own can drive my car and be covered.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

If you reside in the same residence you must be specifically insured on the car. For example my son who lives at home is NOT insured on my car. My daughter who is on her own can drive my car and be covered.

BUT, I don't have a U.S drivers license. Does this matter at all? Also your daughter would have her own insurance, and I have none now.

Thanks

BUT, I don't have a U.S drivers license. Does this matter at all? Also your daughter would have her own insurance, and I have none now.

Thanks

After phoning the DMV and finding out they could not answer my questions, they put me through to the traffic dept of the police, and got an answer machine!!!!!!!

I then started searching the internet and was given a website, through Visajourney actually. It looks like in Colorado I can drive for 90 days instead of 30. I was told this is because my K-1 expires after 90 days. So if anyone wants info just try here:http://www.aamva.org/aamva/DocumentDisplay.aspx?id={E0CFB3C6-88F0-4FC3-959B-6BD1B9D5FF31} I found the relevant info on pages 140-142 (Driver Licenses for Foreign Non-Resident Visitors)

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

A valid foreign license + valid visa = ability to legally drive in the US. End of story. Which state does not matter. At the end of the expiry of the visa, then it becomes a matter of residency...

Meet in paradise smile.png 04 Jul 2009, Waikiki
T visits K_____________Jan 2010 Married, Waikiki_______28 Dec 2010 ROC I751 NOA __________30 Apr 2013

T visits K_____________Jun-Aug 2010 AOS/AP/EAD NOA1________14 Mar 2011 Biometrics, Glenmont___11 Jun 2013
I129F NOA1_____________27 Apr 2010 NOA: Xfer to CSC_______24 Mar 2011 ROC Approved___________27 Aug 2013
I129F NOA2_____________16 Jun 2010 Bio Appt, Glenmont_____08 Apr 2011 N-400 filed____________28 Feb 2015

Interview in Sydney____14 Sep 2010 EAD/AP card rec'd _____06 May 2011 Oath Ceremony _________12 Jun 2015
K arrives LAX__________01 Nov 2010 Green card approved ___13 Jul 2011

Green card approved ___13 Jul 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

A valid foreign license + valid visa = ability to legally drive in the US. End of story. Which state does not matter. At the end of the expiry of the visa, then it becomes a matter of residency...

Mmm no. A K1 visa is immediately cancelled upon entry therefore is no longer "valid". States such as California give you 10 days of being a RESIDENT (not an LPR, just living in California) before you need a CA licence.

It is entirely state dependent. Some will give you one if you have a set number of days left on your I-94 (which controls your status). Some won't give you one on an I-94. Some will give you a licence with your AOS NOA1, some require an EAD as a minimum. All require an SSN (that I've seen).

ALSO some countries aren't a member of the reciprocal licence scheme and so you need an International Drivers Permit, just your licence isn't enough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from AOS forum to Working & Travelling During US Immigration forum as a more appropriate location to discuss Drivers' Licenses

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Mmm no. A K1 visa is immediately cancelled upon entry therefore is no longer "valid". States such as California give you 10 days of being a RESIDENT (not an LPR, just living in California) before you need a CA licence.

It is entirely state dependent. Some will give you one if you have a set number of days left on your I-94 (which controls your status). Some won't give you one on an I-94. Some will give you a licence with your AOS NOA1, some require an EAD as a minimum. All require an SSN (that I've seen).

ALSO some countries aren't a member of the reciprocal licence scheme and so you need an International Drivers Permit, just your licence isn't enough.

My I-94 expires on July 19th, then I won't be able to drive in Colorado until I get a drivers license from U.S. I have checked today and that is what I have been told. I don't have enough proof to apply for a license yet. I have no E.A.D or N.O.A.1. My SSN should take 3 weeks to be delivered too.

Hi all,

Many Thanks

Dave--looks like you found your answer for driving 90 days as a visitor. Colorado didn't specifiy that in the document footnotes(p.144), so did a Colorado official tell you 90 days?

The best answer about insurance will be from your wife's insurance agent. Driving and insurance are a state thing. For example in Texas it is not the driver who is insured, but the vehicle. If I insure my vehicle and I give someone permission to drive it, then it is covered. My UK husband was covered without being listed. My agent told me so. When he got his license, he was added as a named driver at no additional cost on my policy because the cost is based on the vehicle, not a fee per driver. (once you are older than the young driver extra cost)

So have the wife get the answer from her insurance company as it might be different in CO.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi all,

Many Thanks

Have you looked up about obtaining an international driver's license. I was doing some research online, I found one where my fiance once here and after we marry, he could obtain an international driver's license that would allow him to drive here for 5 years, however he had to have a driver's license from his home country. I don't know if you had one or not. But from what I read online it appeared that as long as he had that he could drive. Also, regarding the insurance, I know all states are different, but being a former californian I know that my policy permitted me to allow others to drive my vehicle and I did not need to add them to my policy. However, if you are driving your wife's car frequently I would suggest getting added on the insurance as an additional driver once you obtain the international driver's license if you qualify. I know that in California, insurance covered the vehicle, not the person so there might possibly be a way to drive here. Also, I would call your locak police office or AAA and ask them these questions and see what suggestions if any they can give you!

Hope you have a good day!

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Have you looked up about obtaining an international driver's license. I was doing some research online, I found one where my fiance once here and after we marry, he could obtain an international driver's license that would allow him to drive here for 5 years, however he had to have a driver's license from his home country. I don't know if you had one or not. But from what I read online it appeared that as long as he had that he could drive. Also, regarding the insurance, I know all states are different, but being a former californian I know that my policy permitted me to allow others to drive my vehicle and I did not need to add them to my policy. However, if you are driving your wife's car frequently I would suggest getting added on the insurance as an additional driver once you obtain the international driver's license if you qualify. I know that in California, insurance covered the vehicle, not the person so there might possibly be a way to drive here. Also, I would call your locak police office or AAA and ask them these questions and see what suggestions if any they can give you!

Hope you have a good day!

Prior post about Colorado seems correct. I lived there as well and they seem to have the most foreigner-friendly rules (to the point of recognizing other countries -not all though) licenses. The post about TX is correct, as I have *tested :wacko: * it

Even international licenses have limitations. It is not only the length but other conditions what drive how they are valid or not. Best thing to do is to check with wife insurance agent and whatever he/she says, get it in writing; I would not trust that 'it is in the policy'; insurance companies are in the business of making money and their policies have plenty of wording that is designed to trick you out of your money and theirs not to be given away.

Have you looked up about obtaining an international driver's license. I was doing some research online, I found one where my fiance once here and after we marry, he could obtain an international driver's license that would allow him to drive here for 5 years, however he had to have a driver's license from his home country.

There is no such thing (legally) as an International Driver's License. The International Driver's Permit is merely a translation document of the foreign person's license into many languages for the benefit of local authorities. In Dave's case, his UK license is in English and will be readable to US police officers.

Driving permission is granted by the state. Each one decides if they will recognize foreign licenses, from what countries, and for how many months. An IDP gives no permission to drive. If you are allowed to drive by the state, then it provides the translation for your foreign language license.

For Americans planning to drive abroad, the IDP is only available at AAA (American Automobile Association) offices for $10-$15. For non-Americans, the IDP should be obtained in the home country. Beware of many scams/fakes saying it gives you legal benefits in the country you are visiting.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.