Dave H

Driving In U.S

20 posts in this topic

Thanks for replies you guys/girls.

My wife has been in touch with her insurance, and I will be added to her policy, but like you say, I will get written proof from them.

I also looked at the international drivers permit, and I may not look into this after all.

I will carry on looking at the possibilities before my wife's insurance gets in touch,

Thanks a lot for all your replies

Dave :

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

BUT, I don't have a U.S drivers license. Does this matter at all? Also your daughter would have her own insurance, and I have none now.

Thanks

Dave :)

It will differ by state, but generally you can use your foreign license if you are a temporary visitor (tourist/student etc) If you are an LPR then there will be a time limit to how long you can drive on your foreign license. Generally 30 days. After that it would be akin to driving without a valid license.

The insurance is a different issue. Driving without insurance is illegal im almost all states and a huge issue. If stopped you will have a big fine and could have to file an SR-22 with the state. The cost for this and the increased insurance cost will run in to the hundreds of dollars every year. Un-insured drivers are a huge problem in most states so they are very harsh if you get caught.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

It will differ by state, but generally you can use your foreign license if you are a temporary visitor (tourist/student etc) If you are an LPR then there will be a time limit to how long you can drive on your foreign license. Generally 30 days. After that it would be akin to driving without a valid license.

The insurance is a different issue. Driving without insurance is illegal im almost all states and a huge issue. If stopped you will have a big fine and could have to file an SR-22 with the state. The cost for this and the increased insurance cost will run in to the hundreds of dollars every year. Un-insured drivers are a huge problem in most states so they are very harsh if you get caught.

Am I not classed as a visitor until my A.O.S. is filed or my I-94 expires?

I have read that as a "visitor" in Colorado, I am allowed to drive for 90 days, unless I have read it wrong AGAIN lol.

Thanks

Am I not classed as a visitor until my A.O.S. is filed or my I-94 expires?

I have read that as a "visitor" in Colorado, I am allowed to drive for 90 days, unless I have read it wrong AGAIN lol.

Thanks

You're a visitor. And if you drive the car, make sure the insurance is in the glove box or your wallet. All you have to show is that the car is insured, not yourself.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You're a visitor. And if you drive the car, make sure the insurance is in the glove box or your wallet. All you have to show is that the car is insured, not yourself.

I have just called the DMV in Lakewood (Denver area) and asked how long I can drive, after being put through to different departments on 3 occasions I was told I can use my U.K license for 90 days, the length of the I-94 but need to go on my wifes insurance as an additional driver. One trouble though, it asks for the state of my license on the online form. I emailed them and waiting for a response.

Thanks everyone

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.