Lady J

Unaware of what is really going on????

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am a US citizen who is petioning for my husbands citizenship, we got married in October 2010. We have our interview on June 30..I am really starting to grow more concerned as to why I have not seen any documents he has recieved from USCIS, only the ones I filled out when we first got married..I dont even have any clue what our case number is. We have lived together since marriage..but he also has a room he uses for his office, that he keeps mostly locked. We have had lots of problems, because i feel he has been very elusive and secretive..not to mention verbally and emotionally abusive towards me..the apartment we live in is his..but he promised to use the spare room as a room for my son..but then put lock on door after we married. I am getting really concerned here, and do not want to continue anything that will put me at risk for commiting any type of marriage fraud..because i entered this marriage thinking he loved me not as a sham.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am a US citizen who is petioning for my husbands citizenship, we got married in October 2010. We have our interview on June 30..I am really starting to grow more concerned as to why I have not seen any documents he has recieved from USCIS, only the ones I filled out when we first got married..I dont even have any clue what our case number is. We have lived together since marriage..but he also has a room he uses for his office, that he keeps mostly locked. We have had lots of problems, because i feel he has been very elusive and secretive..not to mention verbally and emotionally abusive towards me..the apartment we live in is his..but he promised to use the spare room as a room for my son..but then put lock on door after we married. I am getting really concerned here, and do not want to continue anything that will put me at risk for commiting any type of marriage fraud..because i entered this marriage thinking he loved me not as a sham.

We need more detail as to what is going on. Can you elaborate on what the situation has been like?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You cannot petition him for citizenship, that is many years down the road.

Where are you currently? ie is he living with you in the USA (if so, how did her get here?), are you living with him in Nigeria?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Not even the President of the United States can petition for another person's citizenship. I assume you meant that you petitioned for your husband's immigrant visa which will lead to lawful permanent residence, documented by a Green Card.

If so, and assuming you are in the US and your husband is in Africa, you mailed in your I-130 to USCIS. About 5 months later, give or take, you should have received an approval of your petition which then is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). NVC then will contact you and ask for the Affidavit of Support, the I-864, which is based on your current income, mostly documented by the latest income tax return, in this case 2010. Once that's taken care of, NVC sends the whole package to the US Consulate General in Lagos and they invite your husband to provide paramount documentation, such as his birth certificate, the marriage certificate, a police clearance, and a medical from an approved doctor.

The fact that you have not heard anything after 7 months does not mean anything is wrong, but it's possible that they mail from USCIS didn't make it to your mailbox. Perhaps it got lost, perhaps it was sent back; your guess is as good as mine.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Welcome to VJ........

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

I assume you meant that you brought your husband here as an immigrant.

Accidentally locked the office room is no biggie. But to lock it deliberately is a different story. I will be very suspecious as to why the door needs to be locked. I can tell base on your story that there is something going on that only your husband is aware of.

Try to discuss your concern(s) with him. He might listen and tell you why. And if that didn't work, then I would start to do an investigation myself and I would start it from his "locked" office room.

Best wishes...

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I have to agree something is not passing the smell test here. You mentioned a child. They should be the most important factor here. Find out what's going on or run for the hills. JMO

I assume you meant that you brought your husband here as an immigrant.

Accidentally locked the office room is no biggie. But to lock it deliberately is a different story. I will be very suspecious as to why the door needs to be locked. I can tell base on your story that there is something going on that only your husband is aware of.

Try to discuss your concern(s) with him. He might listen and tell you why. And if that didn't work, then I would start to do an investigation myself and I would start it from his "locked" office room.

Best wishes...

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Drug dealers often put locks on the doors to secure their goodies.

Could be something else though. I assume he never lets you see what's in that room?

You could have a talk with police about this room and tell them that you suspect there are drugs in there... they may be willing to go in and check for you B-) Best do it when he's not home though.

[snip] i feel he has been very elusive and secretive..not to mention verbally and emotionally abusive towards me..the apartment we live in is his..but he promised to use the spare room as a room for my son..but then put lock on door after we married. I am getting really concerned here, and do not want to continue anything that will put me at risk for commiting any type of marriage fraud..because i entered this marriage thinking he loved me not as a sham.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Drug dealers often put locks on the doors to secure their goodies.

Could be something else though. I assume he never lets you see what's in that room?

You could have a talk with police about this room and tell them that you suspect there are drugs in there... they may be willing to go in and check for you B-) Best do it when he's not home though.

Are you thinking correctly? Why get the police involve when they can communicate like couple do? If they can not have a nice communication it is up to her to judge the marriage.

:reading: -enufsaid

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Are you thinking correctly? Why get the police involve when they can communicate like couple do? If they can not have a nice communication it is up to her to judge the marriage.

Have to agree here also . Unless she's sure of something illegal or fears for the child no need for the police yet.

But I need to stress the child interest comes first

JMO

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

He is (verbally and emotionally) abusive toward her, he is being elusive and secretive, he locks "his office" from her. This does not sound as if they can communicate like a couple.

If there is criminal activity going on in this apartment, then her child is in danger too. If it was me, I'd just break in and see what's inside (after trying to ask nicely first, of course), but seeing that the man could potentially upgrade to physical abuse, I would not recommend such a break in to anyone else.

It is safer to deal with situation in the presence of police.

Do you really think it is OK to lock away some parts of the house from your spouse without telling them what's going on??? :o

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Timeline

Few things I'm not understanding ??

They must still be living in the husbands home country?

So the police may not be the best to call. If he has friends in the department.

Is the child there or in the states ??? How old ???

Need more info

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Few things I'm not understanding ??

They must still be living in the husbands home country?

So the police may not be the best to call. If he has friends in the department.

Is the child there or in the states ??? How old ???

Need more info

:thumbs:

Yes, we really need to know where you two live. In the US or his home country. If it is in the US what type of visa did he enter with. Where in the process are you? Did you bring him on a K-1 or CR-1 or was he already here on some other type of visa and you two got married in the US.

All of these and more are pertinent to giving good info, but based on what you have posted it sounds like it won't matter, If he is verbally abusive and secretive now then it will only get worse. Nigeria is a high fraud country and often the beneficiary only has the goal to become an LPR in the US and will do whatever they have to in order to achieve that goal. First thing you need to do is get you and your child out of that apartment. Whether it means living with family or friends or going to a local shelter doesn't matter. Just insure your physical safety first.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks everyone so much for your responses..here is a quick timeline. Met hubby in 2006 in Washington State, went on a couple of dates, but i wasnt really interested in a relationship at time. We kinda lost contact,met up again at a nightclub here in Washington State..started exclusively dateing in July of 2010. He had married another African-American woman during that time frame of us not communicating-she divorced him. Suddenly in October he tells me he wants me to go see a lawyer with him, i am very suspicious as to why but he was very elusive(of course). So its veryn early in October i dont remember exact date..but we go to lawyer and the minute i get there, i start seeing things relating to immigration, I was still kinda confused because as far as I knew he had been here for like 20 years (figured all that immigration stuff was squared away) Low and behold the lawyer asks me if I was aware of his legal status..I couldnt even respond-lawyer then proceeds to tell me that he has been here illegally and is facing deportation. Saddened me because prior to this we had been talking marriage and future. Also why didnt he tell me this personally along time ago, instead of bringing me to a lawyer. His explanation was he "was embarrassed" Okay, I then hear from the lawyer that he has to go to court on October 13, but this particular lawyer was also refusing to take his case because i think USCIS had been after him for awhile and he waited till last minute. Goes to court on 13, judge gives him voluntary departure for December 13. We then goes to another lawyer, she tells him his only option" is marrying a USC, so days went by and he asked me to marry him, I said yes because I loved him and cared deeply for him, we were talking of marrying very soon, and he professed how he wanted to love and take care of me and my son. So we marry end of , I moved into his place, by November 3 and before he gave me any keys-he goes and puts the lock on the door(the room he promised to accommodate my son in-he is not my sons father..but he knew all along i was the only parent in my sons life(his biological father is deceased). So whenn I confronteed him about room he tells me "every man needs an office or his own space" and that I was being a "trouble maker" and ungreatful for him moving me into his place( me and my son stayed with my grandma, because she needed help since my grandpa died) Over the months he has constantly made me feel as though I was the one creating all of the problems..told me I wasnt a good wife..he has been telling his friends and supposed family how i constantly argue with hjim. Ladies-if your husband constantly made you feel less than or called you dirty names..told you how bad of a person you are..wouldnt you respond back to defend yourself? Every argument we had was me in response to negative treatment he was giving me. I noticed condoms missing..asked him bout it he had been drinking he then slaps me in the face, calls me all kind of bitches and calls me trouble maker. I admit there were times when id question him about things, but that was only because he gave me reason to question. He lets me in the room for short periods of time..but its only when he is in there himself..and if he thinks im looking around for something he gets irritable. He is overly protective of his phone, talks for long periods of time to people on phone in his native language, while ignoring me(i confronted him..tells me im a trouble maker and he has a right to talk to his friends) Pretty much anything i question him about its either my fault or im a trouble maker-dont want to bore you all so ill stop rambling

Edited by Lady J

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.