141 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Question on the i-134 form?

I took off half of 2008 and started working in July 2008 making well above the income level needed. However since I took off 7 months my tax return from 2008 level doesnt show it. My letter of employment does show it and I also photocopied 4 months of current pay check stubs. Will this be ok??

Thanks

• 1 month later...

is it ok not to write the bank savings on the I-134 anymore? but we only put the annual income, we have the LES and bank statements that show the monthly income as well as the deposits, checkings/savings accounts

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi all...

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Last year I filed jointly with my now ex-husband. Do I have to present my full tax return, that also shows his income, or will my W-2 suffice?

Also, in regards to my current house value...can I go to a website like Zillow.com to get the current valuation? I know many real estate agents use that too. My ex and I still jointly own that too, until he buys me out, hopefully soon.

Last question...I think...for now...In my divorce, my ex gave me a few of his 401k's, (retirement savings). However, although the accounts are shown to be mine in the divorce papers, they are still in his name because it has been expensive to change them. He will cash them out to reinvest them in my name, but the fees and taxes will be A LOT. So, we have left it as it is. Right now, I need to let you know he and I are still good friends, so honestly I KNOW he isn't going to steal them away. He gave them of his own free will, and it was his idea!

Please, I am not asking for judgments on how things were done, just some answers if you have them.

Thanks!

-Blu-(looking for my yellow brick road)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi wyld blu

In regard to the tax return, when I ordered my transcripts from the IRS I did not even consider the joint filing. One of my 3 years is a joint return from 3 years ago, and I plan on using that. I am fairly certain that the w2 will not suffice, as they specifically say tax returns are to be used.

If your ex is going to buy you out of your house, if it is not a complete buy out, in other words that there is NO money owed to a lender, when you go to refinance the bank will have an appraisal done. You will be able to use that at the time. To show value, in addition to the refi papers, which will show the value and that the house is now in your name. I do not think a website estimate is acceptable, however if you really think you need this you could always contact an appraiser, if he will not be buying you out by the time your interview is scheduled. Also, if you present the information pertaining to the current joint ownership of your house at the interview, it might be a potential red flag.

With the 401k’s, first question is do you have a 401k or IRA? If not you can contact a financial institution of you choosing and ask them about opening one. Many will allow you to fill out the forms and direct transfer the money from him to you without any fees or penalties, based upon your divorce agreement. Next question is are his 401k’s all with a company with which he is currently employed, and do they allow rollovers without any fees? In most cases rollovers can be accomplished without generating a taxable event. I would suggest contacting a financial institution and asking them about the procedures, they will probably want to see the final divorce decree so be prepared.

You might be pressed for time though. I would think your interview date will arrive before these issues can be address and concluded.

I assume you are doing this because you do not qualify for the 125% over the poverty line, because if you do qualify then the only thing you need here would be the tax returns.

I do not know if any of this helped, but it was worth a shot…good luck

Greg

Timeline
Hi wyld blu

In regard to the tax return, when I ordered my transcripts from the IRS I did not even consider the joint filing. One of my 3 years is a joint return from 3 years ago, and I plan on using that. I am fairly certain that the w2 will not suffice, as they specifically say tax returns are to be used.

If your ex is going to buy you out of your house, if it is not a complete buy out, in other words that there is NO money owed to a lender, when you go to refinance the bank will have an appraisal done. You will be able to use that at the time. To show value, in addition to the refi papers, which will show the value and that the house is now in your name. I do not think a website estimate is acceptable, however if you really think you need this you could always contact an appraiser, if he will not be buying you out by the time your interview is scheduled. Also, if you present the information pertaining to the current joint ownership of your house at the interview, it might be a potential red flag.

With the 401k’s, first question is do you have a 401k or IRA? If not you can contact a financial institution of you choosing and ask them about opening one. Many will allow you to fill out the forms and direct transfer the money from him to you without any fees or penalties, based upon your divorce agreement. Next question is are his 401k’s all with a company with which he is currently employed, and do they allow rollovers without any fees? In most cases rollovers can be accomplished without generating a taxable event. I would suggest contacting a financial institution and asking them about the procedures, they will probably want to see the final divorce decree so be prepared.

You might be pressed for time though. I would think your interview date will arrive before these issues can be address and concluded.

I assume you are doing this because you do not qualify for the 125% over the poverty line, because if you do qualify then the only thing you need here would be the tax returns.

I do not know if any of this helped, but it was worth a shot…good luck

Greg

Hi!

Thank you! My pay well qualifys for the 125% above the poverty line actually, but the form asks for my mortgage, bank and retirement funds info too. So, I didn't think I could leave it blank.

My ex is going to buy me out, but he is waiting on a rather large inheritance he is getting...VERY soon we hope. After he pays me half the value, I am going to sign a quit claim on it. We know the approximate value on it and he has agreed to half the value. Actually, that was his idea too.

The retirement funds are 401k's from the place he works. I have one in my name too, from my work, but I have 2 I received in the divorce still in his name. We were told by the retirement financial institutions, that we had to file a legal transfer. Can't remember the name of it now...just that each transfer was NOT cheap. If I don't need to use them though, so much the better to avoid the confusion.

My fiance is also bringing over money from the future sale of his house (currently on the market in Holland). But I think until we have a joint account here, and we are filing for the AOS, that won't matter.

-Blu-(onward through the fog)

Timeline

Hi again,

When you said this: My pay well qualifies for the 125% above the poverty line actually, but the form asks for my mortgage, bank and retirement funds info too. So, I didn't think I could leave it blank.

I am going to assume you are talking about the I-134 well actually you are all set! If you are above the poverty threshold you need not worry about anything else. I was also surprised as I read about the I-134 here. It actually is one of the few forms where you can leave something blank. However there is also a comfort level we all need in our hearts, so if you want you can always provide the extra information.

If you want take a look at this page: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3104745 it has the basics of the I-134. There are many pages of Q&A, I think after you read this you will know that you are safe. The only thing that is mentioned most often is about the bank statement and employment info.

What I did was take the information from here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf under section “II supporting evidence” to my bank and they provided the information in section A.

I really think because of your income being over the 125% that you can relax, however do not take my word for this. When you have some time take a look at that first link, that should cover the details enough so that you are comfortable, well as comfortable as you can be dealing with all this nonsense.

Now you can sit back, have a glass of wine, or something totally potent and breathe easy.

Greg

Timeline

Thank you! I will check out those links. I hope you are right in not needing anything else right now!

Now...for some Captain Morgan and 7-up...lol

-Blu-(cheers)

Timeline

If you want take a look at this page: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3104745 it has the basics of the I-134. There are many pages of Q&A, I think after you read this you will know that you are safe. The only thing that is mentioned most often is about the bank statement and employment info.

Um...this link brought me right back to your post with this link on it. LOLOL

-Blu-

Timeline

Um...this link brought me right back to your post with this link on it. LOLOL

-Blu-

Wow and I am not even drinking...yet. Sorry about that here is the correct link: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=305

I am off to find some ice cubes

Greg

Timeline

Me either...I kinda thought if I had though...maybe that would have led me to the right page! lolol. Anyway, thanks for the correct link. I am relieved that I don't have to assembly everything I thought I would in the first place! Whew!

-Blu-(*hic*)

Timeline
Me either...I kinda thought if I had though...maybe that would have led me to the right page! lolol. Anyway, thanks for the correct link. I am relieved that I don't have to assembly everything I thought I would in the first place! Whew!

-Blu-(*hic*)

I am glad I finally got it right, sorry about the screw up, must have been a having a senor senior moment. The only thing I forgot to mention is that some embassy's do require slightly different information. You might want to check with yours just to be certain. From your time line you are very close to interview time, good luck to you.

Greg

• 2 months later...

were any of you able to bring your fiance to U.S.A with 0 income but had a co-sponsor like your parents or close relatives ?? i dont work i go to college now, and my brother is willing to co-sponsor...and support me and my fiance untill both get a good job ? how does that work? since my co-sponsor is fully supporting. does he need to send a separate I-134..would that delay the process of visa?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Ok, so this is what I am including for my I-134 support

-Employment letter with my salary on company letterhead

-balance in my CD and savings account

-paystubs

-three years tax returns

Is this suffice? I don't have my tax returns notarized. Is that really necessary? I am including copies of my bank statements sto support the balances.

My income is way above the poverty line.

Star

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I have a quick question... I keep seeing people talk about the last 3 years of tax returns with the I-134... The only thing i found in the USCIS instructions about tax returns were if a person was self employed. Then they needed to submit tax returns... and even then it only asked for the last years return. Am I reading this wrong, or is this stuff asked for somewhere else?

As of now I have:

1. The letter from my employer

2. By Friday I will have the information from my bank

Since I am not self employed do I have to have the tax returns? If I do have to have the tax returns my next question is can I just get a copy of the last 3 years taxes from my accountant and have them notarized or do I have to get the transcripts from the IRS?

• 2009-06-06 - Kati flew here to be with me for 2 weeks
  • 2009-06-10 - Propose at Hot Springs pool
  • 2009-06-18 - Sent I-129F
  • 2009-06-23 - Received NOA1
  • 2009-12-18 NOA2 Received (FINALLY)
  • 2009-10-17 - Received letter from NVC
  • 2009-10-21 - Received Packet 3
  • 2009-10-30 - Sent in Packet 3
  • 2009-11-04 - Received Packet 4
  • 2009-11-09 - Interview
  • 2009-11-11 - Kati flew to US
  • 2009-11-16 - Marriage License Issued
  • 2009-11-19 - Married
  • 2010-01-13 - Sent AOS to Chicago (Express)
  • 2010-01-15 - AOS Package signed for
  • 2010-02-02 - Medical RFE
  • 2010-02-05 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 2010-04-17 - Initial Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline
I have a quick question... I keep seeing people talk about the last 3 years of tax returns with the I-134... The only thing i found in the USCIS instructions about tax returns were if a person was self employed. Then they needed to submit tax returns... and even then it only asked for the last years return. Am I reading this wrong, or is this stuff asked for somewhere else?

As of now I have:

1. The letter from my employer

2. By Friday I will have the information from my bank

Since I am not self employed do I have to have the tax returns? If I do have to have the tax returns my next question is can I just get a copy of the last 3 years taxes from my accountant and have them notarized or do I have to get the transcripts from the IRS?

Well, I wrote the Finnish Embassy tonight because I have read so many posts on what other people needed, or said they needed and it seemed like there were so many answers. I went to the I went to http://finland.usembassy.gov/ and then to their visa section. This is the response they sent back....

Hello Brian,

Along the I-134 your most recent individual US tax return and proof of employment are sufficient – nothing else is needed. We do have Kati’s approval and we have sent her the list of needed documents, so no problem. No NOA2 either.

Thank you.

Best regards, US consulate.

It is amazing how fast they wrote back, but I guess it is 9 in the morning there too. It is hard to imagine that as early as 4 days ago I thought we were still not approved... then today I hear they have already mailed Kati the packet 3. Seems pretty unreal, but I am so glad about it. This also cleared up a question I had posted earlier about whether or not they needed the NOA2!

• 2009-06-06 - Kati flew here to be with me for 2 weeks
  • 2009-06-10 - Propose at Hot Springs pool
  • 2009-06-18 - Sent I-129F
  • 2009-06-23 - Received NOA1
  • 2009-12-18 NOA2 Received (FINALLY)
  • 2009-10-17 - Received letter from NVC
  • 2009-10-21 - Received Packet 3
  • 2009-10-30 - Sent in Packet 3
  • 2009-11-04 - Received Packet 4
  • 2009-11-09 - Interview
  • 2009-11-11 - Kati flew to US
  • 2009-11-16 - Marriage License Issued
  • 2009-11-19 - Married
  • 2010-01-13 - Sent AOS to Chicago (Express)
  • 2010-01-15 - AOS Package signed for
  • 2010-02-02 - Medical RFE
  • 2010-02-05 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 2010-04-17 - Initial Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.