141 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I understand ans have all the documentation you have documented, but my question is on question 11 which reads;

That I intend do not intend to make specific contributuions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3. ( If you check "imtend", indicate the exact nature of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in United States dollars and state wether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, oor for how long)

Ok I am marrying the person(s) named in item 3, as in K-1 Visa. But I am not sure how long I will live to support her. So how do I answer this one Obi One, you are my only hope.

Check the example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-134-exp-04-30-07.pdf

I just did and it said this for question 11: N/A ( K1 visa process for permanent residence )

I'm not sure about that answer, this is what I put for mine: I checked intend and wrote: Room and board and living expenses for three years. My lawyer said that was acceptable. But now I'm starting to wonder about that. I have read many times through this site and have seen this particular advice given many times: Never use the answer NA so I wonder why it is used in the example form?

There's been a thread on which Yodrak and other VJers debated about it. Some people thought "No" was the best answer to be given, but Yodrak used a convincing argument so that the N/A answer would be a better one: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ibutions+I-134#

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

I understand ans have all the documentation you have documented, but my question is on question 11 which reads;

That I intend do not intend to make specific contributuions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3. ( If you check "imtend", indicate the exact nature of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in United States dollars and state wether it is to be given in a lump sum, weekly or monthly, oor for how long)

Ok I am marrying the person(s) named in item 3, as in K-1 Visa. But I am not sure how long I will live to support her. So how do I answer this one Obi One, you are my only hope.

The I-134 was often used for those travelling to the US on a temporary basis, hence why that particular question when support was required to be shown for the temporary stay in the US. It is now often used in K visa nonimmigrant cases....the difference being that K visas are processed in much the same way as an immigrant visa as those entering on a K visa will be seeking immigrant status. The I-134 is also not legally binding. By the fact that an I-864 will be required when adjusting status, answering N/A (K1 visa process) for question 11 of the I-134 is acceptable.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-134 was often used for those travelling to the US on a temporary basis, hence why that particular question when support was required to be shown for the temporary stay in the US. It is now often used in K visa nonimmigrant cases....the difference being that K visas are processed in much the same way as an immigrant visa as those entering on a K visa will be seeking immigrant status. The I-134 is also not legally binding. By the fact that an I-864 will be required when adjusting status, answering N/A (K1 visa process) for question 11 of the I-134 is acceptable.

Thank you for the clarification. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline
The I-134 is also not legally binding. By the fact that an I-864 will be required when adjusting status, answering N/A (K1 visa process) for question 11 of the I-134 is acceptable.

I don't dispute that I-134 may not be legally binding as the State Department themselves, through the FAM, state as much. Yet, if it's being interpreted as being not legally binding, then why do they continue to accept I-134's at all? Why not abolish it outright? Before some of you answer that it has been, that appears to be only at certain Consulates, other Consulates still readily accept them

I don't understand why they would accept an I-134 if it's been deemed not legally binding.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

SirLancelot,

I-864 was created in the late 1990s by legislation to address the identified problem of immigrants not having a sponsor who could be compellled to provide support for the immigrant. The legislation did not address non-immigrants - they aren't going to be in the country for long, so not a major problem - so nothing changed for them.

Note that an I-134 is not a requirement for non-immigrant visas. It is optional at the discretion of the consular officer who is processing the visa application should the consular officer decide that it would be useful. In the case of K visa applicants who need a sponsor, which is most of them, it is (almost?) always asked for.

Yodrak

The I-134 is also not legally binding. By the fact that an I-864 will be required when adjusting status, answering N/A (K1 visa process) for question 11 of the I-134 is acceptable.

I don't dispute that I-134 may not be legally binding as the State Department themselves, through the FAM, state as much. Yet, if it's being interpreted as being not legally binding, then why do they continue to accept I-134's at all? Why not abolish it outright? Before some of you answer that it has been, that appears to be only at certain Consulates, other Consulates still readily accept them

I don't understand why they would accept an I-134 if it's been deemed not legally binding.

Yodrak.

Right. That makes sense. I-134 is not required is the key factor. That's why it's not binding.

Yodrak you're a pitbull but a pitbull with good logic.

Regards!

SirLancelot,

I-864 was created in the late 1990s by legislation to address the identified problem of immigrants not having a sponsor who could be compellled to provide support for the immigrant. The legislation did not address non-immigrants - they aren't going to be in the country for long, so not a major problem - so nothing changed for them.

Note that an I-134 is not a requirement for non-immigrant visas. It is optional at the discretion of the consular officer who is processing the visa application should the consular officer decide that it would be useful. In the case of K visa applicants who need a sponsor, which is most of them, it is (almost?) always asked for.

Yodrak

AOS I-485

I-751

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Our case has been reapproved after the IMBRA RFE. So, now I am trying to finish up the I-134 form to give to my fiance when I visit him in England next week. :)

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before but I have a couple questions..

First, I know I'm supposed to write a statement acknowledging that I am required to support him for 3 years, etc, etc, but are there any better guidelines/examples of that? I'm not quite sure what to write for it..

Second, for the question on the form that asks you to put monitary value to your assets.. what is it like a best guess of all your major possesions? like car, etc? I am not yet a homeowner so that question doesn't apply, what things should I count for my value of assets?

Thank you all in advance!

-Margot

Filed: Timeline

Mew,

For the avoidance of confusion, while 'N/A' is better than 'No' (and appears to be acceptable, perhaps for historical reasons), Yodrak's feeling is that the best answer to the question is 'Yes'.

Yodrak

There's been a thread on which Yodrak and other VJers debated about it. Some people thought "No" was the best answer to be given, but Yodrak used a convincing argument so that the N/A answer would be a better one: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ibutions+I-134#
Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Mew,

For the avoidance of confusion, while 'N/A' is better than 'No' (and appears to be acceptable, perhaps for historical reasons), Yodrak's feeling is that the best answer to the question is 'Yes'.

Yodrak

Okay, Yodrak. Let's keep this for further reference. :)

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

edited - found answer on another thread :P

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Check the example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-134-exp-04-30-07.pdf

I just did and it said this for question 11: N/A ( K1 visa process for permanent residence )

I'm not sure about that answer, this is what I put for mine: I checked intend and wrote: Room and board and living expenses for three years. My lawyer said that was acceptable. But now I'm starting to wonder about that. I have read many times through this site and have seen this particular advice given many times: Never use the answer NA so I wonder why it is used in the example form?

i put N/A ( K1 visa process for permanent residence ) i haven't printed it out yet.... but i am thinking others have done it this way... ???? all we can say is HELP!!!!!

Michelle/Otman

1. Appointment letter.

2. Passport (valid till

3. Birth certificate (Original in Latvian and notarized translation)

4. 2 Photos

5. Police certificate

6. Affidavit of Support (see petitioners supplement package)

7. Form DS-230 Part I and II

8. Form DS-156 (2 copies)

9. Form DS-156K

10. Fee payment for a fiancée visa application $100

11. Proof of relationship with my fiancée:

- Petitioner and beneficiary letters of intent

- Proof from my fiancé latest visit 10.28.2006-10.03.2006 (airline tickets, cheks)

- Confirmation from hotel we stay

- Our photos together

- Fragments from chat history

- I-129F (see supplement - copy of full petitioners package)

12. Results of the medical examination

AOS

02/06/2007 - sent AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/14/2007 - fees came through the bank, it's rolling!!

02/20/2007 - letter for Biometrics appointment on 03/01/2007

03/01/2007 - Biometrics appointment was painless

03/10/2007 - NOA1 AOS was transferred to CSC!!!!

03/28/2007 - touched AOS

03/29/2007 - touched AOS

04/06/2007 - welcoming letter (by email)

04/11/2007 - AOS approval (by email)

04/12/2007 - 2yr. green card in hand...omg!!

06/29/2007 - bought our new house

Mr. & Mrs. Otman Elaroussi

i put N/A ( K1 visa process for permanent residence ) i haven't printed it out yet.... but i am thinking others have done it this way... ???? all we can say is HELP!!!!!

Michelle/Otman

Michelle

As per the example form it is accepted to put N/A (K-1 visa process) or something similar. Read my post above for why it is acceptable.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

What if you dont have a bank account? I don't have any insurance, health or life, I just started a new job in 8/2006? Will that matter? It pays about 35,000 annually. I just spent a lot of what I had saved on some crazy debt I had, cuz Idont wna tmy husband to have to worrry about that when he gets here. That all he talks about. but anyway, what to do?

Pray with me Forrest! Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here..... Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here!

What if you dont have a bank account? I don't have any insurance, health or life, I just started a new job in 8/2006? Will that matter? It pays about 35,000 annually. I just spent a lot of what I had saved on some crazy debt I had, cuz Idont wna tmy husband to have to worrry about that when he gets here. That all he talks about. but anyway, what to do?

No bank account? How are you paid? In Cash?

AOS I-485

I-751

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

N-400

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

No bank account? How are you paid? In Cash?

No I get paid with checks. I dont trust them. Had bad experiences with money disappearing, purchases from christian books stores and Im muslim, stuff like that. About 13 years ago, there was actually a large deposit made INTO my account. Do I need to mention how tempted I was to go make a withdrawl???? So I keep cash all the time, well credit cards and stuff like that.....

Pray with me Forrest! Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here..... Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.